Teamsters????

Should UPS Teamster employees have the right to opt out of the union?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

H82looz

Hardly sir, I've worked here 28 years and have come to learn that the lemmings(progressive liberals) need and want to be lead. You are lead by the union because you can't seem to think for yourself. You need the union to tell you to vote for Obama, he has ruined our country and way of life. Yet the fat cat union bosses live in the lap of luxury, off our dues, and what do we get from the union in return? We have to work like hell to keep our jobs, do the union brass? Union brass is corrupt as the U.S. politician, do you honestly believe either one cares a rats bootie about us the folks who produce? These two are one and only care about how little they can do, how much power they can acquire, and how many bucks of ours they can shove in their pockets. Now if you say this is why you believe in the union and demarcate party i really think your about to follow the herd of lemmings off the cliff. However remember the politicals and union brass aren't man enough to go with you, so they will step aside at the last moment. If really need to be lead through life than go for the union and demacrates, me I'll do and think whats best for my family and me.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Obama doesn't want to cut......he wants to 'freeze' spending. If I 'freeze' my present calorie intake, I would weigh 300 pounds by next year!!
Freezing his spending means he will continue spending at the high rates he has spent these past 2 years. He's clueless. He won't make deep cuts even though everyday Americans have to make them.

Wow moreluck,

If I didnt know better, id bet you just repeated the everyday, everyhour, everyweek talking points of fox news...

Say alot, mean nothing, why not enlighten us all to the "Deep cuts" that you think need to be made and who they would affect, maybe youll be able to convince us.

I doubt it. Talking points are worthless.

Peace.

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
Is it just me or do you believe that the Teamster brass are part of the Obama administration? Hoffa and his crew are no better than politicians, do they care to take care of us(membership) or to advance themselves. What in the world does the Teamsters do with our dues? Allow me to take a shot at answering, our dues go directly to the democrate party. Am I the only one that takes great offense to this. The democrate party has nothing I or a whole lot of my union bros. believe in. I for one am totally ashamed that Teamster brass continues to go along with Obama and his left wing radical cronies that are trying to destroy America. They (Hoffa) say that health care is essential to America, then they ask for a waiver. Allowing political correctness to run our country and union, what a sham. The whole aspect of the union is a ponzi scheme. Seeing the public sector unions in Wisconsin scream bloody murder and want more of my tax money, so they can pay union dues which go right to Obama the community organiser. Our country needs right to work laws, this will give people who don't want to work in a union the RIGHT to say NO, instead of being forced to be in a union that we don't believe in politically speaking. I for one detest the teamsters for putting my union dues towards a political group I despise, which is the party of our fearless tail between the legs President, Obama. In closing I would like the Teamsters be de-certified as our union.

Hardly sir, I've worked here 28 years and have come to learn that the lemmings(progressive liberals) need and want to be lead. You are lead by the union because you can't seem to think for yourself. You need the union to tell you to vote for Obama, he has ruined our country and way of life. Yet the fat cat union bosses live in the lap of luxury, off our dues, and what do we get from the union in return? We have to work like hell to keep our jobs, do the union brass? Union brass is corrupt as the U.S. politician, do you honestly believe either one cares a rats bootie about us the folks who produce? These two are one and only care about how little they can do, how much power they can acquire, and how many bucks of ours they can shove in their pockets. Now if you say this is why you believe in the union and demarcate party i really think your about to follow the herd of lemmings off the cliff. However remember the politicals and union brass aren't man enough to go with you, so they will step aside at the last moment. If really need to be lead through life than go for the union and demacrates, me I'll do and think whats best for my family and me.

Let me guess: you think President Obama is a foreign-born Muslim antichrist.

The Unions need improvement. As members of our union, as Teamsters, it is our responsibility to hold our elected officials accountable, just like in government. But you have so little respect for the organization that has historically won big concessions for you you'd rather wallow around and whine than read the yearly expenditure report. My BA and local president are definitely not getting rich off of my dues, and every time I have asked for help they have obliged.

I for one agree with right-to-work legislature. I also believe that if you opt out of the union you should not benefit from union-won concessions, including higher wages. There is a possibility that our company will convert to a two-tiered pay system in 2013. As an independent worker you should be placed at that lower tier. In my area it will be a little over half what I make but you can still consider yourself well-paid as a laborer. Nobody in this country besides the Teamsters really believes we are worth what we are paid anyway. Without the union pay will eventually be a single tier again, the lower one.

Living in such a state now, I see that management can be fired for any reason, or for no reason. Declining union representation would mean the same for you and since seniority is agreed upon in the contract you better pucker up if you really h82looz.

Without the Teamsters this would not have become the great company that it is. Without the Teamsters our pay will be comparable to the rest of the sorely underpaid industry.

I'd bet a month's dues (mine are higher than yours) you weren't bashing them in 1997. After 28 years you have used them for all you can get, and now, much like over-indulgent wealthy conservatives would like to decrease government constraints, you don't care about who comes after you as long as you get what you believe you're entitled to.

Think again about who the lemming is. You haven't written anything that isn't typical tea bag rhetoric.

Good people of the Teamsters unite and help our president and his administration Organize America! The rest of you just stay on that backward-spinning merry-go-round. I am extremely proud to be a "progressive liberal." Y'all just keep your pride as regressive conservatives.

Btw we produce nothing. We move things others produce from point a to point b.

Last edited:

bbsam

Staff member
So your saying you get your news from a lefty comedian. I guess if it conforms to your agenda then...

And its not that hard to post links...ask one of your lefty pals and im sure they can take a few hours to show you. :)

Actually, I didn't say anything about news. I said a Fox critique. Is that word not in your vocabulary? I understand how you would be confused, though. Fox often puts their critiques out there and calls it "news". Very different. As for my news source, that would be NPR. And though you will rail against it as a lefty source, it is the epitome of fair and balanced and the interviewers quite firm in all their interviews. You simply can't get more honest and intelligent reporting.
Must be why the right wants to get rid of them.

On a side note: If you ever get the chance, you might like to find an archived recording of a fantastic interview by Terry Gross of NPR's "Fresh Air". She interviewed Alice Cooper and it was awesome. About the only interview that's been possibly better was her interview of Matt Stone and Trey Parker of South Paark fame. NPR really does bring a world of wonder into a car at any given moment.

804brown

Obama doesn't want to cut......he wants to 'freeze' spending. If I 'freeze' my present calorie intake, I would weigh 300 pounds by next year!!
Freezing his spending means he will continue spending at the high rates he has spent these past 2 years. He's clueless. He won't make deep cuts even though everyday Americans have to make them.

By the way Obama is actually cutting spending. He also implemented a freeze on government employees salaries.

But on your freeze analogy: if it costs $1 million to provide a service to people in need in 2010, and you freeze that $ 1 million for 2011. If you take into consideration inflation and the number of people in need of that service increasing in this economy, you will see that each person that uses that service will have their services CUT ( $1 million distributed to more people do the math)

Catatonic

Nine Lives
men, as you well know, we do have that option here, but would have to pay 99.44% of our current dues if we decided to do so.

It is my opinion that anyone who receives a benefit which he/she does not pay for is a scab.

That means that half the people in the United States are Scabs.

wkmac

And on the subject matter at hand, yes any employee at will should be allowed and freely able to opt out of the union and the union at that time is also under no further obligation on any level to perform and/or provide for that employee. Like any contract, when a party to such withdraws and it's allowed, all terms and conditions of said contract are thus null and void. Union has no further obligation to assert or defend any alleged contractual rights on behalf of former member and former member is thus free to contract with another 3rd party for such services or to negotiate his/her own contract on his/her behalf.

menotyou

bella amicizia
men, as you well know, we do have that option here, but would have to pay 99.44% of our current dues if we decided to do so.

It is my opinion that anyone who receives a benefit which he/she does not pay for is a scab.
I agree. I, also, believe that if the fact of being in a union is so offensive, the person has a right to withdraw. wkmac says it well by saying the person has no right to the "union benefits". If they do withdraw, I don't think they should pay any dues at all, or get any benies, especially pension. I might bitch about my local leadership, but that is my right as I vote and pay union dues.

satellitedriver

I agree. I, also, believe that if the fact of being in a union is so offensive, the person has a right to withdraw. wkmac says it well by saying the person has no right to the "union benefits". If they do withdraw, I don't think they should pay any dues at all, or get any benies, especially pension. I might bitch about my local leadership, but that is my right as I vote and pay union dues.

The company pays for all the benefits, not the union.

The union has only one source of income.
Dues.
The company pays me because I am willing and able to do the job.
I refuse to pay any dues and the company has every right to fire me, if, I can not follow the rules and do the job in the manner that they wish.

bigblu 2 you

Dues.
I refuse to pay any dues and the company has every right to fire me, if, I can not follow the rules and do the job in the manner that they wish.

i wish there were more employees like you,,,,,{slight pause},,,{wait for it},,IN CHINA AND TAIWAN. ....bam!

804brown

Dues.

Wrong, the company AND the union bargain over the benefits.As for the "right" of the company to fire you, well, the company can fire you for certain reasons depending on your supplement. However, " a fair day's work for a fair day's pay"!

Last edited by a moderator:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Wrong, the company AND the union bargain over the benefits.As for the "right" of the company to fire you, well, the company can fire you for certain reasons depending on your supplement. However, " a fair day's work for a fair day's pay"!

You are right but you misread Sat's post. He never stated how the benefits were negotiated. He stated that UPS pays for them, which they do. There is nothing factually incorrect in his post.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
UPS workers are represented by a union. If you are against unions you are free to withdraw from employment at UPS. There is another delivery company down the street that will be happy to gave you a wage and benefits package that wasn't the result of union negotiatons. It's like living in America and whining that you hate Democracy. Move on.

H82looz

Oh ya NPR, thats an unbiased group there. And remember the only reason NPR is on the radio is because of our tax payments. If NPR was a private company it would have ceased to exist years ago.