Telematics...UPS is wiring your truck

Big Babooba

The only power steering vehicles we had before 1995 were a pair of Ford C600 furniture vans that came from NYC. One dated back to the Kennedy years. They were replaced by a pair of 1100s that also came out of NYC. Those beasts were the length of a 1000 and a foot taller. They had power steering and air brakes. I believe they got rid of them because of the air brakes when the new CDL regulations went into effect.

Dizzee

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
I think we need to let supersup out of the corner so he can help tie with his spelling ... chillout dude, humor helps you through life.

SuperSup is waiting....... :happy-very:
2256.gif

ol'browneye

Here is a post to throw fuel on the fire!

We had 2 p500's that had power steering here. I believe (but could be mistaken) that they were in the 510xxx series and one of them was #510593 (I think) and was made by Ford. They were a little different as they had smaller wheels, not the big 19.5 inchers. They also had a little smaller steering wheels. The problem is that I don't know when they were made. I know many p500's were made in 1984 and 1987 according to the little metal tags under the dash but I don't ever recall looking on these trucks. Besides, all the old farts would fight over these trucks because of the power steering and I would rarely get to drive one.

I believe they were both crushed in the past couple of years, but I do remember them as far back as around 2002-2003 and they had a ton of miles on them by then.

Dagoof

Man I feel sorry for the women drivers sounds like telematics has a sensor for cycles too. Man thats messy.
Oh wait did I mention telematics sorry for getting off the topic.

Big Babooba

Here is a post to throw fuel on the fire!

We had 2 p500's that had power steering here. I believe (but could be mistaken) that they were in the 510xxx series and one of them was #510593 (I think) and was made by Ford. They were a little different as they had smaller wheels, not the big 19.5 inchers. They also had a little smaller steering wheels. The problem is that I don't know when they were made. I know many p500's were made in 1984 and 1987 according to the little metal tags under the dash but I don't ever recall looking on these trucks. Besides, all the old farts would fight over these trucks because of the power steering and I would rarely get to drive one.

I believe they were both crushed in the past couple of years, but I do remember them as far back as around 2002-2003 and they had a ton of miles on them by then.
We had a bunch of Ford P500s. They were built on the Econoline chassis. Drivers loved those trucks. They were great riding, low step up and easy to steer, but they didn't have power steering. Ours were late 70s -early 80s vintage and were numbered 71xxx & 72xxx if I remember correctly. (only 5 digit truck #s back then) Maybe later versions had P/S but ours didn't. They didn't need it.

reydluap

I have tried to follow this thread (the ORIGINAL TOPIC, TELEMATICS). But this childish name calling Bull Sh** has to stop! MODERATORS!!! It's damn time to calm down the Indians and get BC back on track. I would like to contribute to BC but get tired of reading all the hate and attacks posted.

IMHO. It's about time to delete about 3/4ths of this thread.

my .02

Paul

over9five

Staff member
Seems like a good idea to me, Paul.
You are the first one to complain (rightfully). When a thread starts to go south, it really helps the moderator team when you guys use the "report post" icon.

Thanks!

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
This is getting soooo... old.

Hey I didn't know the conservative majority of BCers were all in Current Events. Maybe BD and I will join in the fray with the counter points. Could be fun! Or could end freindships.:peaceful:
its getting to the point that every topic is a mud slinging fest with the same people ..i agree the mods need to step it up

9/5Everyday

We have had this in our building for a year now. Even if you have your seatbelt on, the dashboard blinks showing it's not connected. They may have the technology, but the trucks are **** and the readings are incorrect. I drive with the bulkhead door open all day, never shows a thing. Keep on truckin' and don't worry about it, unless they are in the area spying on you!

Spiderman

Package Slinger
We have had this in our building for a year now. Even if you have your seatbelt on, the dashboard blinks showing it's not connected. They may have the technology, but the trucks are **** and the readings are incorrect. I drive with the bulkhead door open all day, never shows a thing. Keep on truckin' and don't worry about it, unless they are in the area spying on you!
Hope you don't leave your handcart close to that [-]bulkhead[/-] open door. Ive been driving like i already have telematics and i love the ot im making

yeldarb

Telematics doesnt slow one down very much. I am getting done at the same time now, as I was when I left my bulkhead door open, and that is with 180 stops. The hardest part for me, was just getting used to where my keys would be. After two weeks, it would seem weird to leave my bulkhead open.

drewed

Shankman
To clear it up a bit, Being a mechanic in the automotive industry, I am exposed to the sad statistics of people not wearing seat belts in a head on crash, side impact, or rear end collision and the outcome of said crashes, the death rate is through the roof! BUT and I say BUT, not all of the time will a seatbelt save ones life in an aforementioned crash! So to recap, telematics is a good system if UPS wants to monitor a drivers use of the seatbelt, after all it is a company rule and should be followed, it might also be a state rule/law as well. Here in Massachusetts its the law for all ages, " Click it or ticket ". But the telematics WILL NOT prevent an accident or a death at any point in the day if the driver chooses to not wear a seat belt or drive improperly because the telematics info CANNOT be seen in REAL TIME. I will agree that over time telematics being used will get more drivers in line with wearing seat belts if they don't already. so I guess you could call it a tool for learning/teaching!:peaceful:
I almost want to say the real time feature maybe a either a software update, or a minor hardware upgrade. The diad is update info as you as go to the center so why not have the telemantics update to the diad that updats to the center? just a thought maybe in the new diad?

The red light on the dash is separate and actually unrelated to telematics and does not connect to the seat belt. That light is just a safety thing from the mfg(probably mandated by fed law) to remind the driver to buckle up and is set to blink for a given period of time. The dash light on your personal vehicle probably does the same thing.
Your's probably isn't one of the centers live on telematics as yet.

MechanicForBrown

Prblm found,part on order
I almost want to say the real time feature maybe a either a software update, or a minor hardware upgrade. The diad is update info as you as go to the center so why not have the telematics update to the diad that updates to the center? just a thought maybe in the new diad?

I'm very positive that this will be the case in the near future, as the center will go hummm I wonder what John Smith is doing right now, this "Wondering" will probably provoke the system to be seen in real time.:peaceful:

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09
I'm sorry you're wrong on this one. I only drove two cars when I delivered the first a 500 and the second a 600. we still have a few 600's left in the fleet I believe they have power steering?

Some earlier cars had what our mechanic called power assist, better than manual, but real power steering blows it away.

I'm very positive that this will be the case in the near future, as the center will go hummm I wonder what John Smith is doing right now, this "Wondering" will probably provoke the system to be seen in real time.:peaceful:
Today without the telematics system in our center, they can put any route in to track it for that day. Then they play it back for review. The OMS can pull up a screen that shows all drivers on the road and then single out a driver, but it's Real Time - about 15 minutes. They can't see where you are right now, but where you were 15 minutes ago.

Spiderman

Package Slinger
Today without the telematics system in our center, they can put any route in to track it for that day. Then they play it back for review. The OMS can pull up a screen that shows all drivers on the road and then single out a driver, but it's Real Time - about 15 minutes. They can't see where you are right now, but where you were 15 minutes ago.

in my center we call this ______TV. just put your oncars name in the blank.