Temp drivers being hired for Ground...

HomeDelivery

my local area, the temp agency is hiring Ground drivers, but not at HD... craigslist ads are popping up near certain hubs.

HD called some temp drivers back to see if they want to try driving the longer stepvans (P1200?) and/or 18'-26' straight trucks. Some already wised up and said "no thanks"

out of the 100 temp drivers this peak at HD, only a dozen stayed on.
& only a handful came back to update their info in the system to stay active
-------------------------------------------

did they get a bump in volume? or Ground guys finally getting fed up w/ their workload. I asked a few about their pay & told them that i'm getting the same or better w/ less stress

our route are set up in stop order, we don't have pickup deadlines, we get less bulk stops, we get a map printout for the delivery day so we can make changes on-the-fly if the stop order/trace is wack...

some of the Ground routes i had to cover doesn't really make me straightline, more of a figure 8 trace... i hated that & a few agreed. So no more going to Ground on Mondays for me.

Ground has less stops/miles than HD in the same general area, but compensates w/ sheer bulk parcels in their vehicles. But, i'm not breaking my back, shoulder, or knees for the same or less pay at Ground.

our volume didn't dip down as drastically as previous years; some drivers are still @ peak-seaon levels. I finally got smoother/faster in my SPH just due to the right equipment (stepvan) & decent people massaging the stop order correctly

Slick silver

$11 a hour, what a joke. After taxes that's barely $300 take home. Bet count on that definite overtime pay if they pay after 8 hrs.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Slick silver

When I first read that I was actually offended by 11 hr. If someone unemployed was thinking of that job, just stay on unemployment because u would probably make more after taxes

Sent using BrownCafe App

HomeDelivery

wow, i thought upstate NY pay would be more than that...

the hourly temp drivers in my area are at $13-14 per hour

they're just planning ahead again & adding temp drivers for upcoming mothers day. & maybe to replace some drivers that are quitting/ or planning to quit...

i guess the peak drivers from this past Xmas had moved on to better things
---------------------------------------------
now, will Express get supplemental drivers for that holiday?

or will they force them to work Saturday & Sunday for just that holiday this year?!?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
wow, i thought upstate NY pay would be more than that...

the hourly temp drivers in my area are at $13-14 per hour

they're just planning ahead again & adding temp drivers for upcoming mothers day. & maybe to replace some drivers that are quitting/ or planning to quit...

i guess the peak drivers from this past Xmas had moved on to better things
---------------------------------------------
now, will Express get supplemental drivers for that holiday?

or will they force them to work Saturday & Sunday for just that holiday this year?!?

They will force us to work Saturday and probably ask for volunteers for Sunday. Express doesn't do supplemental drivers. They just work the full timers harder and hope the part timers will be willing to work more hours.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
When I first read that I was actually offended by 11 hr. If someone unemployed was thinking of that job, just stay on unemployment because u would probably make more after taxes

Sent using BrownCafe App

True, but unemployment ends and there is currently no federal extension. Ground is not only an obscene rip-off, but it's subsidized labor...just like WalMart.

STFXG

While I agree that is underpaying. If he is keeping employees then good for him. $11 an hour is still higher than delivering pizzas.

Sent using BrownCafe App

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
While I agree that is underpaying. If he is keeping employees then good for him. $11 an hour is still higher than delivering pizzas.

Sent using BrownCafe App

The bar keeps getting lower because the incentive to pay less is strong in a set-up like Ground. if he is keeping employees, bad on him.

Slick silver

Heck I thought while I was working there my pay was bad, I just can't imagine how bad you must need a job If you are willing to work for 11 a hour. I would quit after day 1. You could make more as a package handler working 4 to 5 hours a day or night. I wish there was a standard that contractors have to pay someone to work. After seeing that I'm glad I left ground. Even know that I doesn't affect me, just seeing that it just made feel bad for whoever has to deal with that.

I just think eventually ground/hd will run out of people to put in trucks at that point

Sent using BrownCafe App

HomeDelivery

i thought pizza delivery guys make more (well just on weekends & maybe on monday night football)

it can be worse... look at the 3rd party couriers, ie, lasership or ontrac

STFXG

Heck I thought while I was working there my pay was bad, I just can't imagine how bad you must need a job If you are willing to work for 11 a hour. I would quit after day 1. You could make more as a package handler working 4 to 5 hours a day or night. I wish there was a standard that contractors have to pay someone to work. After seeing that I'm glad I left ground. Even know that I doesn't affect me, just seeing that it just made feel bad for whoever has to deal with that.

I just think eventually ground/hd will run out of people to put in trucks at that point

Sent using BrownCafe App

There is a standard. It's called minimum wage.

Sent using BrownCafe App