Temp pay raises for Target, WalMart, Best Buy, Speedway, etc...and bonuses from some companies!

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Take a moment and look at the online job boards Page after page after page of contractors desperately trying to find that unskilled labor you think is in such an abundant supply. The only trouble is they're offering the same pay they offered 5 years ago or longer because of rate and settlement erosion they can't offer more than fast food wages and zero benefits. They'll only last as contractors until they come to the point where the cheap labor supply in their given market is exhausted.
In fact the broker board I follow had 18 new contracts listed (two weeks ago 87) In the past you would be lucky if you saw 3 contracts listed and always with an asking price of at least a years volume. But, of those 18 today 16 of them came with asking prices below 1 year volume and some a couple asking for only half a year's volume. So much about creating jobs. That contractor settlement with terms and rates dictated by Ground determines what a contractor can pay. If he can get enough qualified people who actually give a rodent's expletive deleted about the job itself fine....If he can't ......that's just his tough luck.
Bacha, bacha, bacha!

You're swallowing hook, line, and sinker!

bacha29

Bacha, bacha, bacha!

You're swallowing hook, line, and sinker!
Just pointing out to "I Am Fedex" that his is completely undeserving of his sense of self importance. Those people he looks down on are going to save his company along with his 401K .
Express and corporate has always looked down on Ground and look upon contractor employed drivers as a lesser class of humanity. They try to make them feel honored for having the opportunity to make people like him rich. But the people out there is those Ground trucks.......what are they going to come away with in the end? If Express and corporate is so great why do they need Ground's impressive profits to begin with?

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Bacha, nobody forces the Ground drivers to continuously show up and work for their wages / benefits. If I recall, anyone is welcome to walk away at any time. I think if they are unhappy with their career, they should simply seek other options. They are paid what the market dictates, a fair wage. They are ultimately unskilled workers with no education or special certifications after all.
images

AB831

Surely you don’t think a Ground driver deserves to be paid like someone with a 4 year degree? Do you? They are paid what they deserve. Unskilled labor... Unless you assume they are skilled because they can drive an automobile?
I agree with this 100% but I would like to extrapolate the sentiment and apply it to the Express side. Many Express drivers carry themselves with the same uppity attitude that you would expect from a lawyer or a corporate big wig and regularly look down on Ground drivers, USPS workers, their customers, Express drivers with less tenure, etc. I really don't understand where that attitude comes from because if Express goes belly up ( I should say when), they'll be begging those other places to hire them because their only other qualifications are to push a broom at McDonald's.

bacha29

I agree with this 100% but I would like to extrapolate the sentiment and apply it to the Express side. Many Express drivers carry themselves with the same uppity attitude that you would expect from a lawyer or a corporate big wig and regularly look down on Ground drivers, USPS workers, their customers, Express drivers with less tenure, etc. I really don't understand where that attitude comes from because if Express goes belly up ( I should say when), they'll be begging those other places to hire them because their only other qualifications are to push a broom at McDonald's.
And that elitist mentality is what will be that OPCO's undoing.

Serf

Many companies are paying “Frontline “ employees $2-$4 more an hour during this cluster. But not Fedex. And I’m sure they will get some of that airline bailout money somehow. This company claims they’re doing everything possible but it’s a joke. Take that “Fedex Cares” and stick it up your %#*!...
I hear ya. Think of the bright side. Maybe that bailout money enables another 2% raise in October instead of nothing. Or crack another beer and face it, we’re still getting screwed.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Connor McGregor? The Irish nationalist? What in the world does he have to do with Fedex? Or anything in general? I assume you live somewhere in the continental US and therefore are nearly half-way across the world from Ireland.

Welcome to bacha.

bacha29

You do realize you are getting trolled? right?
Perhaps but nevertheless I still enjoy performing rectal reconstruction on some of them. Granted since you can't use the term "ripping somebody a new A hole" so I have to use the "rectal reconstruction" term.