The Plan

quadro

OK,...sure. It's interesting that you only respond to certain types of posts.
I don't have time to respond to every post so sure, I guess I do respond to certain types of posts. And your point is? I didn't know I had to justify why I choose to respond or what I respond to. I've said it before so it's not a secret and it's nothing new, I just tend to respond to posts that are either inherently wrong and are providing misinformation, or the subject is just something I'm interested in. No conspiracy, no hidden agenda.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I don't have time to respond to every post so sure, I guess I do respond to certain types of posts. And your point is? I didn't know I had to justify why I choose to respond or what I respond to. I've said it before so it's not a secret and it's nothing new, I just tend to respond to posts that are either inherently wrong and are providing misinformation, or the subject is just something I'm interested in. No conspiracy, no hidden agenda.

I didn't say there was one. Once again, however, you responded to the silence of that tree.

Non sequitur

You guys need to have an "Egyptian style" protest. Oh ya you can't because Fred would take your pictures, locate and fire all of you. Thank God we live in a "free country".

Hewy

Well, I guess I will put in my "10 cents". I've worked for "purple" and now work for "brown" in Australia. "Purple's" overbearing reach extends even to here, and that everyone in the world should conform to what they think should be the way of doing things. At FedEx, I had an area manager tell us that, "We realise you are all Australian, and are part of the Australian culture, but while you are here, you will conform to the FedEx culture". What the hell? "Brown" seems to realise that every country has differing cultures and needs. I have found them to be much more flexible than the rigid, "militant purple army", with their rigid "generals". UPS also seems to treat their long-term customers much better here. Lastly, I have to say that everything that MrFedEx has posted so far has been pretty much spot on. Cheers to you, mate!

quadro

I didn't say there was one. Once again, however, you responded to the silence of that tree.
I didn't say you said there was a conspiracy or hidden agenda. I was just pointing out to anyone interested that I am not part of a conspiracy and that I don't have a hidden agenda. However, the fact that you thought I did probably means I hit a nerve.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Well, I guess I will put in my "10 cents". I've worked for "purple" and now work for "brown" in Australia. "Purple's" overbearing reach extends even to here, and that everyone in the world should conform to what they think should be the way of doing things. At FedEx, I had an area manager tell us that, "We realise you are all Australian, and are part of the Australian culture, but while you are here, you will conform to the FedEx culture". What the hell? "Brown" seems to realise that every country has differing cultures and needs. I have found them to be much more flexible than the rigid, "militant purple army", with their rigid "generals". UPS also seems to treat their long-term customers much better here. Lastly, I have to say that everything that MrFedEx has posted so far has been pretty much spot on. Cheers to you, mate!

Thank you. I'm not surprised that FedEx totally ignored Australian culture, because the dictates of the Almighty Smith are all that matter. Fred makes no secret of the fact that he patterned the FedEx management system after the US Marine Corps, a one-size-fits-all monotheistic approach that explains why it's completely ignorant of any values other than FedEx policies and procedures. In fact, FedEx management is just ignorant in general.

vantexan

Thank you. I'm not surprised that FedEx totally ignored Australian culture, because the dictates of the Almighty Smith are all that matter. Fred makes no secret of the fact that he patterned the FedEx management system after the US Marine Corps, a one-size-fits-all monotheistic approach that explains why it's completely ignorant of any values other than FedEx policies and procedures. In fact, FedEx management is just ignorant in general.

I remember when "Castaway" came out. It was a nice PR piece for FedEx but I remember it giving me the creeps watching Tom Hanks nail the attitude of a FedEx mgr while talking to Russian employees.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I remember when "Castaway" came out. It was a nice PR piece for FedEx but I remember it giving me the creeps watching Tom Hanks nail the attitude of a FedEx mgr while talking to Russian employees.

I don't think Hanks knew it, but he did get it exactly right. Isn't it interesting that "Chuck" sort of figures it out for himself on the island that he's been a self-centered workaholic A-hole, who will drop everything for FedEx, which is the prototype for what Fred wants in a manager. I think the character was actually an engineer, but it really highlighted the paramilitary nature of FedEx, which isn't surprising since Smith idolizes the USMC, whose motto should probably be "I'll do anything, even if it's really stupid and I get my head blown-off" rather than "Semper Fi".

whenIgetthere

I was watching the beginning of Castaway on the tube today, and I was thinking the same thing!!!

vantexan

I don't think Hanks knew it, but he did get it exactly right. Isn't it interesting that "Chuck" sort of figures it out for himself on the island that he's been a self-centered workaholic A-hole, who will drop everything for FedEx, which is the prototype for what Fred wants in a manager. I think the character was actually an engineer, but it really highlighted the paramilitary nature of FedEx, which isn't surprising since Smith idolizes the USMC, whose motto should probably be "I'll do anything, even if it's really stupid and I get my head blown-off" rather than "Semper Fi".

That's it exactly. I wonder if the company knew completely that the main character would transform from a jerk into someone more considerate and introspective. I've known mgrs that have helped set up stations overseas so I automatically thought of him as a mgr but you're right, probably an engineer.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
That's it exactly. I wonder if the company knew completely that the main character would transform from a jerk into someone more considerate and introspective. I've known mgrs that have helped set up stations overseas so I automatically thought of him as a mgr but you're right, probably an engineer.

How many real life FedEx employees have you seen totally screw-up their life by being overly dedicated to the company? Lots...especially managers, who get to cover both the AM and PM, and then come home a drink a six-pack or a fifth of Jack Daniels so they can stop shaking from the stress. Divorces, health issues, a life totally out of balance with everyone else. What a deal.

Actually, I'm surprised FedEx ever consented to "Castaway". After all, they crash a plane, lose all the packages (OK, except for a couple), and then show a "company man" like "Chuck", who can't realize true love because of his over-dedication to FedEx. Maybe a few of the Purple People need to spend a few months on a deserted island until they understand what FedEx is really all about.

I'm sure most of you have seen the spoof on YouTube where "Chuck" delivers the package to the hot babe at the end of the movie. It contains a GPS, satellite phone etc. Too funny.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
I LOVE THAT COMMERCIAL...

[video=youtube;ntW9mh2ddkY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntW9mh2ddkY&feature=fvsr[/video]

bbsam

Staff member
How many real life FedEx employees have you seen totally screw-up their life by being overly dedicated to the company? Lots...especially managers, who get to cover both the AM and PM, and then come home a drink a six-pack or a fifth of Jack Daniels so they can stop shaking from the stress. Divorces, health issues, a life totally out of balance with everyone else. What a deal.

Actually, I'm surprised FedEx ever consented to "Castaway". After all, they crash a plane, lose all the packages (OK, except for a couple), and then show a "company man" like "Chuck", who can't realize true love because of his over-dedication to FedEx. Maybe a few of the Purple People need to spend a few months on a deserted island until they understand what FedEx is really all about.

I'm sure most of you have seen the spoof on YouTube where "Chuck" delivers the package to the hot babe at the end of the movie. It contains a GPS, satellite phone etc. Too funny.
Consented to Castaway? Hell, they paid huge money for it. And contrary to popular belief, that kind of dedication tends to be seen as laudable by many in this contry.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
Pretty good parody.
Not work safe, watch the language....

[video=youtube;hTNLj0H0d7o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=hTNLj0H0d7o[/video]

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
That's pretty good. If Hanks were a real FedEx employee Fred would have terminated him after 2 "No-call/No-shows". Same for the flight crew. He'd probably bill their families for the lost package revenue.