Ten Biggest Strikes in U.S. History

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
the USPS has a no strike clause.! Almost as useless as our union!

An illegal strike is only illegal if you lose.

The biggest problem facing the USPS was a Congressional mandate passed under Bush in 2006 that requires USPS to pre-fund retirement healthcare obligations 75 years in advance. The USPS is required to pay for health benefits for retirees that don't even exist yet. The next biggest problem is the fact that the USPS workforce is divided along craft into four different unions and they've never been more divided. That might change soon, though.

Insincerity

I'm Insincere

The biggest problem facing the USPS was a Congressional mandate passed under Bush in 2006 that requires USPS to pre-fund retirement healthcare obligations 75 years in advance. The USPS is required to pay for health benefits for retirees that don't even exist yet. The next biggest problem is the fact that the USPS workforce is divided along craft into four different unions and they've never been more divided. That might change soon, though.

I don't see this happening unless the Republicans getting control of both houses and the presidency.

slantnosechevy

I don't see this happening unless the Republicans getting control of both houses and the presidency.

Just curious....why do you think Republicans controlling the House, Senate, and Presidency will help to fix the problems of the USPS???? They created most of them. It's just another till for the Gov't to rob from in indirect ways. You would get dizzy following the history of the money trail when it comes to the USPS. The Gov't, no matter which side of the isle, has a license to steal.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...

There is nothing sweeter than watching Republicans fail to solve the problems they created.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Are you saying you use to agree with the old guard stance?
Are you saying you changed your stance because you're running for office and need an agenda?
Are you saying that is why you have a nonconformist opinion now?
Are you saying you are not TDU?
Are you saying you didn't attend TDU conventions to sell your insurance?
Are you saying you are his friend? It doesn't sound that way from your post. Your post wasn't necessary.
One last question is are you consistent?

Insincerity

I'm Insincere
Just curious....why do you think Republicans controlling the House, Senate, and Presidency will help to fix the problems of the USPS???? They created most of them. It's just another till for the Gov't to rob from in indirect ways. You would get dizzy following the history of the money trail when it comes to the USPS. The Gov't, no matter which side of the isle, has a license to steal.

Not saying it would guarantee a fix of the problem but a better chance than Democrats.
I was thinking Republicans would:
* "allow" the USPS to fund their pensions normally.
* allow the USPS to implement real business programs and decisions
Franking privileges would have to be continued or neither party would approve.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Not saying it would guarantee a fix of the problem but a better chance than Democrats.

"Allow" the USPS to fund their pensions normally? Are you keeping up with current events? Republicans basically guaranteed that the post office will forever be behind the 8-Ball.

Insincerity

I'm Insincere
"Allow" the USPS to fund their pensions normally? Are you keeping up with current events? Republicans basically guaranteed that the post office will forever be behind the 8-Ball.

Why would Republicans not want the USPS to sever ties with the Federal government and become a true private company?

bluehdmc

Why would the Republicans do that? They seem to have set things up in the hope that the USPS fails so they can privatize it and one of their supporters like Fred S can take it over.

Why would Republicans not want the USPS to sever ties with the Federal government and become a true private company?

The USPS does not take ANY funds from the Federal Govt, they are supposed to be self-supporting. Unfortunately they can't make any major management decisions, (like raising the price of stamps, closing unprofitable Post Offices, etc, without congressional approval).
Also the retirement healthcare prefunding is really what's killing them.