Termination grievance

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I have opened looked at my contract. Not to sound like an ass or anything but some of us asking questions have actually been with the company for more than a few years.
Sometimes we overlook things a need help finding the right answer.
You’re just making excuses now
Not a good look

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I've searched many time for this answer but can never get an answer because everyone seems to just want to bash the person & it gets off topic.
So after a grievance is filed for termination, how long does the company have to hold the grievance hearing? Is there a time frame?
It doesn't matter what the termination was for, please just help me with this answer. It's been 11 days since the filing.
What did you allegedly do?

GameCockFan

They can hold you out for months. You'll have a local level hearing. If its not settled you will go to the next panel hearing. The company and the union can each postpone the meeting one time at the panel level. I was held out for four months for a discharge once.

qdg2

They can hold you out for months. You'll have a local level hearing. If its not settled you will go to the next panel hearing. The company and the union can each postpone the meeting one time at the panel level. I was held out for four months for a discharge once.
What did you do? And why did they give you your job back/

With all respect I've always wondered why the company would do this. Either you did it or not. If it was worth termination.......why not fight all the way(company). Seems to me, if they couldn't fire you and make it stick....how could they do it at all? See? Seems to me, if you get your job back.....always back pay.....as the company was wrong. Yes, getting your job back is good......but should you have lost it in the first place? The company is rarely charitable in almost any way otherwise.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
They can hold you out for months.

It's possible.

You'll have a local level hearing. If its not settled you will go to the next panel hearing.

Yep.

Where the OP is at in Michigan....

It would be Local Level, Michigan State Panel, Central Region JAC, and possibly JAC deadlock committee.

The company and the union can each postpone the meeting one time at the panel level.

Usually not done on discharge cases.

If the Union takes a "hold" after the Local level.... the companies liability stops from that point forward. (back pay)

What did you do? And why did they give you your job back/

The purpose of (any) discipline, is to correct behavior. Not fire people.

Unless, it is a cardinal sin....

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
This is a terrible time of the year to get canned. I wouldn’t expect your hearing to be until well after the middle of January