Texas school shooting

Integrity

Binge Poster
for me anyone who stood in that hallway and listened to those shots and did nothing should be fired but the police chief has the ultimate responsibility for his decisions.

if thats my kid that died or my wife I will definitely make sure everyone is held accountable for their failures to act.
I understand your point of view completely.

Would you feel the same if your child was killed by friendly fire?

Integrity

Binge Poster
They shouldn't have to be fired. They should resign, because they were obviously not meant to be police officers.
Anyone who can stand in a hallway with your gun, listening to babies being gunned down, knowing people are alive in there bleeding out.... and not do a damn thing. Well, that person has no right to wear that badge.
I can’t say what I would have done but I think resigning is probably a reasonable response.

El Correcto

god is dead
Have you considered that the story they told the governor was very different than the information that has come out since about how they handled everything? They tried to cover up their actions.
I don’t instantly jump to that conclusion when it comes to the people who would be the ones speaking directly to the governor. I see it as a :censored2:ed up game of telephone, where they didn’t have all the information yet and the chaos was still going on surrounding the information.

It’s why we all hate when they rush within 24 hours to make a statement that isn’t just well wishes for the families or pledging to help the families that experienced it. The facts were still being uncovered but everyone wanted the explanation and how to fix the problem.

It definitely could be though and that needs to be investigated as well. I heard Greg Abbot’s first talk about this thing, he was far off the mark of what happened to a dishonest degree.

vantexan

I don’t instantly jump to that conclusion when it comes to the people who would be the ones speaking directly to the governor. I see it as a :censored2:ed up game of telephone, where they didn’t have all the information yet and the chaos was still going on surrounding the information.

It’s why we all hate when they rush within 24 hours to make a statement that isn’t just well wishes for the families or pledging to help the families that experienced it. The facts were still being uncovered but everyone wanted the explanation and how to fix the problem.

It definitely could be though and that needs to be investigated as well. I heard Greg Abbot’s first talk about this thing, he was far off the mark of what happened to a dishonest degree.
Abbott came back out the next day or so and said what he said the day before was what he was told and that the latest information was very different than what he had been told. He didn't go to Uvalde to give the police department cover. He praised them for their bravery, etc. Then the next day he very angrily said at a press conference he had been lied to. It seems you are forming opinions based on limited information. The beauty of being retired is I watch all of this stuff unfold in real time. And if I miss something important for certain it will be shown again.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Abbott came back out the next day or so and said what he said the day before was what he was told and that the latest information was very different than what he had been told. He didn't go to Uvalde to give the police department cover. He praised them for their bravery, etc. Then the next day he very angrily said at a press conference he had been lied to. It seems you are forming opinions based on limited information. The beauty of being retired is I watch all of this stuff unfold in real time. And if I miss something important for certain it will be shown again.
He was pissed. Like I said, when they had to tell what happened under oath, the truth started coming out.

El Correcto

god is dead
I heard that speech as well.
Beautiful thing about being a driver is you have all day to listen to these things, one of my favorite aspects of the job.

Yeah I do have limited information on this. Hate learning or dwelling on horrible :censored2: like this. I just assume everyone did the best they could in a horrible :censored2: show. I’m going off my belief and faith in other human beings and our nature.
I know when really bad :censored2: happens how it can cloud minds, judgement and any attempts to get to the bottom of it will be met by a bunch of confused and emotional people who aren’t really sure what happened.

El Correcto

god is dead
I just feel bad for the cops, they weren’t the ones who wanted people to die that day. They wanted to help.
I’m sure there will be horrible ptsd for a lot of these men.

vantexan

I heard that speech as well.
Beautiful thing about being a driver is you have all day to listen to these things, one of my favorite aspects of the job.

Yeah I do have limited information on this. Hate learning or dwelling on horrible :censored2: like this. I just assume everyone did the best they could in a horrible :censored2: show. I’m going off my belief and faith in other human beings and our nature.
I know when really bad :censored2: happens how it can cloud minds, judgement and any attempts to get to the bottom of it will be met by a bunch of confused and emotional people who aren’t really sure what happened.
But enough info, and video has come out to give us a very good idea of what happened. The police chief didn't get suspended because people are all emotional. He flat out didn't lead or do his job. They could have saved some if not most of those kids if they had gone in. From now on I hope in similar situations if a gunman goes into a classroom and gunfire hasn't started yet that police will assume it's about to and don't hesitate. Waiting for a swat team to arrive with a gun being fired in that room didn't help those kids at all.

Integrity

Binge Poster
But enough info, and video has come out to give us a very good idea of what happened. The police chief didn't get suspended because people are all emotional. He flat out didn't lead or do his job. They could have saved some if not most of those kids if they had gone in. From now on I hope in similar situations if a gunman goes into a classroom and gunfire hasn't started yet that police will assume it's about to and don't hesitate. Waiting for a swat team to arrive with a gun being fired in that room didn't help those kids at all.
I understand your position.

This situation was and is so bad. It was so tragic.

I have no idea how I would have responded.

Thankfully I am not walking in those shoes.

Unfortunately, historically in our country the population is usually not very sympathetic to police that act and open fire quickly and the media is even less understanding in my opinion.

We had a driver in Florida who died during a police shootout that went and still is going very bad for most involved.

’They murdered him:’ Family of UPS driver killed in shootout lashes out at police

Lawsuit Filed by Family of UPS Driver Killed in Police Shootout in Miramar

El Correcto

god is dead

Unfortunately, historically in our country the population is usually not very sympathetic to police that act and open fire quickly and the media is even less understanding in my opinion.

We had a driver in Florida who died during a police shootout that went and still is going very bad for most involved.

’They murdered him:’ Family of UPS driver killed in shootout lashes out at police

They did kind of turn that intersection into the OK Corral, good point really.
You don’t want that guns blazing adrenaline to take over in a classroom like what these guys did. You want it to be like a scalpel in a school shooting incident.

vantexan

That's an apples and oranges comparison.

Integrity

Binge Poster
A shootout on a street compared to a rescue operation for small children? Apples and oranges.
I grant you the situations are different situations. Apples and oranges, I wouldn’t distinguish them in that way.

However I believe the most significant difference is in one there was a large amount of force(perhaps excessive)used and in the other much less force (perhaps too little).

Would you have been satisfied if the police immediately stormed the classroom, got in a shoot out with the perp, killed the perp, suffered more casualties themselves and in the end there was more casualties among the students because of friendly fire?

newolddude

for me anyone who stood in that hallway and listened to those shots and did nothing should be fired but the police chief has the ultimate responsibility for his decisions.

if thats my kid that died or my wife I will definitely make sure everyone is held accountable for their failures to act.
I grant you the situations are different situations. Apples and oranges, I wouldn’t distinguish them in that way.

However I believe the most significant difference is in one there was a large amount of force(perhaps excessive)used and in the other much less force (perhaps too little).

Would you have been satisfied if the police immediately stormed the classroom, got in a shoot out with the perp, killed the perp, suffered more casualties themselves and in the end there was more casualties among the students because of friendly fire?
There’s all sorts of “what ifs” and “cop lives matter more” logic you can throw out there to justify not taking action.

But in the end there were children in the room and adults did nothing to defend them.