The Biden Recession Thread

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

Up In Smoke

Housing costs made up almost 50% of the CPI number and labor costs are driving the PPI numbers. The hot CSI numbers show that spending is still driving a very robust economy. We are seeing a steady housing market in our area, lead by institutional buyers and cash buyers. We need a good recession to bring down housing costs and reset the labor inflation. If interest rates don't work, raise taxes to slow consumer spending like they did in the 80s

Up In Smoke

Housing costs made up almost 50% of the CPI number and labor costs are driving the PPI numbers. The hot CSI numbers show that spending is still driving a very robust economy. We are seeing a steady housing market in our area, lead by institutional buyers and cash buyers. We need a good recession to bring down housing costs and reset the labor inflation. If interest rates don't work, raise taxes to slow consumer spending like they did in the 80s
Led, oops.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Government already is taking in record revenue.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Raise taxes…Lol

Up In Smoke

Raise taxes…Lol
The tax cuts gave everyone more money to spend monthly, which they did. Spending drove up housing, autos, furniture, appliances and hundreds of other goods. Raising taxes as they did in the 80s, would suppress spending and lower inflation. My hope is interest don't need to go into the double digits to curb inflation.

UnionStrong

The tax cuts gave everyone more money to spend monthly, which they did. Spending drove up housing, autos, furniture, appliances and hundreds of other goods. Raising taxes as they did in the 80s, would suppress spending and lower inflation. My hope is interest don't need to go into the double digits to curb inflation.
Funny how inflation didn’t go up until oil went up. It’s the policies of this imbecilic administration not tax cuts that caused inflation.

Up In Smoke

Funny how inflation didn’t go up until oil went up. It’s the policies of this imbecilic administration not tax cuts that caused inflation.
Check again, housing, autos and discretionary goods all rose 12-20% in 2020 as the government pumped trillions of dollars into the consumers pockets. The tax cuts along with the Fed's rate cuts in 2019 started the ball rolling. We saw record profits in 19, 20 and 21 because of low interest rates and little regulation as to who qualifies for loans. Inflation is a worldwide event caused by too much my money in the system. It needs to be removed, but very carefully and slowly.

vantexan

Check again, housing, autos and discretionary goods all rose 12-20% in 2020 as the government pumped trillions of dollars into the consumers pockets. The tax cuts along with the Fed's rate cuts in 2019 started the ball rolling. We saw record profits in 19, 20 and 21 because of low interest rates and little regulation as to who qualifies for loans. Inflation is a worldwide event caused by too much my money in the system. It needs to be removed, but very carefully and slowly.
Larry Summers, former economist under the Obama administration and former president of Harvard, warned the Biden administration that injecting trillions in stimulus into the economy would cause inflation. He was right.

UnionStrong

Interest rates were too low.

Up In Smoke

Larry Summers, former economist under the Obama administration and former president of Harvard, warned the Biden administration that injecting trillions in stimulus into the economy would cause inflation. He was right.
What was Summers opinion on enhanced prolonged unemployment compensation, PPP I, PPP 2, stimulus 1, stimulus 2, stimulus 3, SBA1, SBA2, loan payment cancelation, mortgage foreclosure protection and the dozen other programs passed in 2020?

vantexan

What was Summers opinion on enhanced prolonged unemployment compensation, PPP I, PPP 2, stimulus 1, stimulus 2, stimulus 3, SBA1, SBA2, loan payment cancelation, mortgage foreclosure protection and the dozen other programs passed in 2020?
His point was enough had been done and to continue would likely cause inflation to hike up. He's not a conservative, and he caused a bit of a stir with the Left with his comments. But he was right.

Up In Smoke

Trump also predicted it as he signed a 900 billion dollar package in late December 2020. The goal is always to sink the other side out of fear of losing the middle.

vantexan

At least you are finally admitting it was Trump’s policies that caused it.
Trump signed a bill put forth by a Democratic Congress, true. Biden and the Congressional Democrats went much farther in 2021 with the spending and if not for Joe Manchin would have broke the bank. Love y'all's revisionist history though.