The Big Lie

Dustyroads

We've all heard them. The big corporate lies that companies tell that everyone knows are simply not true. I imagine we can think of a few that UPS has "told" over the years. You can elaborate on your "big lie" offering, or just toss it out there for everyone to mull over. I'll start off by doing the latter.

The big lie: UPS really cares about fuel savings and tries everything it can to save fuel in its operations.

Buffaloaf

Yes, I think that UPS really cares about fuel savings because fuel savings impact their bottom line. It costs ~28.00 an hour to pay a driver's wages, but it probably costs at least 50.00 to pay for the gas that it costs the driver to drive for an hour (in feeders, that is).

Now, if you mean, do I think that UPS cares about minimizing its fuel usage in an attempt to have less of a carbon footprint? No, I don't. Individuals throughout management and union ranks may, but the company decision to maximize fuel effeciency is clearly a dollars and cents driven agenda.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Before 1993 contract. We have no intention of raising the 70 LB weight limit.

After the 1993 contract. Whoops, I guess we lied.

Dustyroads

Here's just one example of how fuel consumption is the least of their concerns. About a year ago, the decision was made by IE to crush all 2000 of the P47 package cars, which were all 2003 or newer vehicles, that operated with a 5 cylinder diesel engine that got 20 miles per gallon and replace them with a V-8 Chevy in a Workhorse chassis that gets 8 miles a gallon. These vehicles accounted for a small percentage of the fleet, but accounted for a large percentage of the miles driven every day. The reason, Chevy was just about giving V8 chevys away. Every day that a single, new P500 drives on a rural area, replacing a P47, we consume an additional 15 gallons of fuel a day, on the average.

Dustyroads

Great one, brownmonster, that almost reminds me of the one, for over 70's we will have another driver there to help you unload it. Team lifting.

And, gee whiz, who can forget last, best, final....you must have been there.

EmerCond421

Here's just one example of how fuel consumption is the least of their concerns. About a year ago, the decision was made by IE to crush all 2000 of the P47 package cars, which were all 2003 or newer vehicles, that operated with a 5 cylinder diesel engine that got 20 miles per gallon and replace them with a V-8 Chevy in a Workhorse chassis that gets 8 miles a gallon. These vehicles accounted for a small percentage of the fleet, but accounted for a large percentage of the miles driven every day. The reason, Chevy was just about giving V8 chevys away. Every day that a single, new P500 drives on a rural area, replacing a P47, we consume an additional 15 gallons of fuel a day, on the average.

Right On Dusty! I couldn't believe it either. To get rid of vehicles (sprinter) that got upwards on 23-24 mph and could go 400 miles without a refill whereas the V8 I may have to fill up 3 times daily. I understand that they are dust eaters and more repair cost because of the MB label but they imho are great vehicles.:peaceful:

Dustyroads

A number of years ago I had this center manager who's favorite lie was "I didn't say that." See, he was a second-tier thinker, he'd lie about lying.