The final mile and stealing

40 and out

When basic first started, the preloader would frequently load the pkgs on our cars instead of the car with the post office on it. The driver next to me and I would go ahead and deliver them. One day we were pulled into the office and told to NEVER deliver them to the final address and if we did it again discipline up to and including termination would follow.

If you find the package later on and you are closer to the final address than the post office, deliver it to the final address. I have done this on several occasions and nothing was ever said to me. The idea that you could be fired for "stealing time" when all you did was make service on a package is ridiculous. Driving additional miles to get it to the post office when the final address is closer is both ridiculous and counterproductive. Common sense.
Do you forget who we work for?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
When basic first started, the preloader would frequently load the pkgs on our cars instead of the car with the post office on it. The driver next to me and I would go ahead and deliver them. One day we were pulled into the office and told to NEVER deliver them to the final address and if we did it again discipline up to and including termination would follow.

Wow. Did you at least politely offer to help remove the stick that your center manager had up in his ass? Sounds to me like he really must have needed help in rhat regUlarty gove tit

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I agree, but when does UPS management ever strive to do things under the habit of common sense? We can talk sense and ethics until were both blue in the face. To them, those things dont fraction into the numbers which they like. Try to do the right thing, and its like your stealing from them. Its almost like they want you to say thank you to them that your able to work here at UPS, psh. These people need to get bent and get a real job, perhaps then they will understand.

Management (upper - way above the center level) wouldn't know what common sense was if it bit them in the ass. Educated idiots.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Same thing happened to me a few weeks back. Didn't want to break off and go all the way back to the post office. The add was on the way in so I figured I'd del then. Get back to building and there she is, sitting on the shelf. Forgot! Sheeted as missed, office visit next day. Was told that I could have delivered it on my own.

When I have stuff like this, I have to put a big note in front of my face or 9 times out of 10 I will forget it.

smart girl

What would you have done if after 5 ? I would have sent it in as missort as I usually do and delivered it on way back to bldg as I do all the other misloads I get. I usually get 5 a day because they have them trying to load 4 to 5 trucks. I made service is all I say . That is my job. Not to figure out the surepot crap. It has Ups label so done. The customer could care less who delivers it as long as it gets there in one piece.

ddomino

OK.....some interesting information I have gotten from supes or from doing it in diad. Sup said UPS pays Post Office $1.85 for each surepost we deliver to po. If we del a surepost to final add we pay nothing. The prompt that asks "is this delivery to a PO or another PO agreed location" only happens when you prerecord a surepost and then pull it back up and hit stop complete. The system knows.. EDD, PAS, Telematics, and soon be Orion are so much smarter than you or me

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Soo we've all talked surepost to death, but what are your thoughts on this:

The other day when dropping off my surepost stuff to the post office one of the boxes wasn't anywhere near RDL where it was supposed to be and I made my delivery less the missing one. Half way through the day it showed up on the 5000 shelf so I had to go back to the post office to make a second stop. The address on the package was right across the street from where I was when I discovered it.

I ended up driving all the way back to the post office to deliver it however I mentioned it to my sup the next morning and said I was tempted to just deliver it to avoid the extra trip and to provide better service on the package as the post office doesn't deliver the packages until the day after I drop them off to the post office.

The on-car sup quickly replied that delivering it to the customer would have been stealing as we've contracted the post office's services to deliver "the final mile." How can they call that stealing when on any given day several surepost packages are RE-PALed to be delivered by me if I'll be delivering to a neighbor?

Thoughts?

We have post offices that close at noon that the driver delivers all the stops.

Makes no sense to me these are rural route stops that are the whole reason behind surepost. Closing at noon is the post offices problem not ours. Closed 1 closed 2 closed 3.

Brownslave688

A have a Post Office that generally gets one surepost a day. They close at 4. If I can't get there by 4 I will just deliver the package to final address. Mgmnt would have no beef with that.

This is what we have been told to do also. We deliver to a couple of PO's that close for the day at noon, so we have been told just to deliver the packages.

This went on for awhile at my center. Now most of the packages for these post offices go to the closest USPS sorting center and they deal with it.

Makes no sense to me these are rural route stops that are the whole reason behind surepost. Closing at noon is the post offices problem not ours. Closed 1 closed 2 closed 3.
just make sue you sheet it closed at 11.59 or 13.01What happens if you miss a surepost? No guarantees? No refunds?..Just a warning letter!!!

Brownslave688

just make sue you sheet it closed at 11.59 or 13.01What happens if you miss a surepost? No guarantees? No refunds?..Just a warning letter!!!

No
Clue but the fact that they are shipper release is why I contend we should just leave them at the post office back door and walk.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I put infonote on the windshield down near the dash with reminder written in black sharpie. I call it my "supplementary EDD". :happy-very:

I have been known to just write it on the windshield with a sharpie. :happy-very: Usually I stick an info notice to the windshield or to my speedo. My visor works to as I keep it down on the windshield all day.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
OK.....some interesting information I have gotten from supes or from doing it in diad. Sup said UPS pays Post Office $1.85 for each surepost we deliver to po. If we del a surepost to final add we pay nothing. The prompt that asks "is this delivery to a PO or another PO agreed location" only happens when you prerecord a surepost and then pull it back up and hit stop complete. The system knows.. EDD, PAS, Telematics, and soon be Orion are so much smarter than you or me

No, it is not the only time I get that prompt. It is extremely rare that I ever prerecord anything and I still get that prompt on occasion.