The friend* Clutch

oldngray

nowhere special
2 left feet.png

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
That's why the slots the gears go into are all opened up like someone tore her apart last night. Don't tell @FrigidFTSup about this.
You can make smart ass comments all you want, but I've actually been one of those sups in the yard on a Saturday or Sunday teaching someone how to drive a manual. And I'm the one giving the test.

But hey, you apparently discovered what getting your DOT entails, so bravo.

P

pickup

I hate the automatic feeder tractors.
Reverse is 0mph or 30mph.
There's no in between.

Just slam that m'fer into the trailer it'll hook lol.

If you keep one foot over the brake as you touch the accelerator with the other foot, you can usually find something in between 0 and 30 mph.

Gear

Parts on Order
Feeder or package car?

I always double clutch tractors or any heavy truck. Seems to work well with Eaton, Meritor or Mack transmissions.

AlliSeeisBrown

First gear is feisty and gets you nowhere fast but somehow makes you feel like you need a wheelie bar. After you start just make smooth transitions. Becomes second nature. After I passed the road test I never touched 1st gear again.

Scottyhawk

What is it? A brown box. Duh
Shift out of first as quick as humanly possible, make sure to press the clutch all the way to the floor so you do not grind the gears

Richard Cranium

So I need to pass my driver's test for my DOT and I'm good with driving automatic package cars (since I do it on Saturday's alot) but unfortunately I'm not so good driving manual. I managed to get it in the first gear but I've been having a hard time shifting the gears. Any tips on manual? I've been practicing at the hub.
Watch Steve McQueen in Bullitt, Double shifting is the key.

davidix

Start in second gear.

If it doesn't engage reverse...release the clutch while in neutral and attempt again.

Shift gears before the truck starts to scream for mercy. If it's not accelerating anymore you shift.

Easy does it.

J92

You can make smart ass comments all you want, but I've actually been one of those sups in the yard on a Saturday or Sunday teaching someone how to drive a manual. And I'm the one giving the test.

But hey, you apparently discovered what getting your DOT entails, so bravo.

I wasn't trying to be a smart ass about it. This :censored2: is just difficult. It's just hard to get a full-timer to teach with everything they have going on in my hub. I already knew they gave the test.

Box Ox

Need to start in first on the road test

Might vary by location. My on car could not have cared less about my starting in 2nd for my road test. Whole idea of going from 1st to 2nd in our trucks sounds silly. Are sups officially held to the starting in 1st gear standard?