The friend* Clutch

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Might vary by location. My on car could not have cared less about my starting in 2nd for my road test. Whole idea of going from 1st to 2nd in our trucks sounds silly. Are sups officially held to the starting in 1st gear standard?

If you are taking a road test with a DMV official you need to start in first gear.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
If you are taking a road test with a DMV official you need to start in first gear.

Not where I am, at least not for a CDL. Our supervisors made us start all tractors in first which is a PITA if you are bobtailing, pulling empties or starting on a decline..DMV told me do what I want as long as I use the clutch to shift.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
I personally think driving a package car is easier than a regular car with a manual transmission. The motor has a lot more torque and the flywheel is heavier which means it's harder to stall.

The trick is to shift slowly and tap the accelerator a tiny bit when shifting (some trucks don't really need this). If you do it correctly it will be very smooth.

MC0493

Clutch is for starting and stopping, slam the rest of em. Sure saves your knee by the end of the day. We've only got like 3 standards left anyway.

J92

I guess I just have a hard time easing off of the clutch and accelerating at the right pace. I managed to get it in first by not accelerating at all and just letting the clutch propel the car which works pretty smoothly. Also, it's hard for me to get moving again once I stop.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I guess I just have a hard time easing off of the clutch and accelerating at the right pace. I managed to get it in first by not accelerating at all and just letting the clutch propel the car which works pretty smoothly. Also, it's hard for me to get moving again once I stop.

Rev it up

Drop the clutch

Sissy Brown Short Shorts

Don't bother with first go right into second. The trouble I had with the spicers was that I'd always miss second and go right into fourth but you can salvage it if you're gentle with the clutch. Most of the time in those old beaters you can just slam it into gear without even using the clutch.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
You need to really practice, a lot. Where you say you are is nowhere close to passing a driving test and some of the advice here isn't going to help you at all. Shifting should be easy to do and not forced.

Watch Google videos on shifting a car or even a motorcycle and learn how the clutch works. It's a very simple thing and once you learn how it works it will help you understand how and when to shift.

You have the hardest part down for most people, you aren't afraid of how big the package car is and intimidated when driving it. That will make it easier, because you just need to work on the shifting.

Good luck!

oldngray

nowhere special
You need to really practice, a lot. Where you say you are is nowhere close to passing a driving test and some of the advice here isn't going to help you at all. Shifting should be easy to do and not forced.

Watch Google videos on shifting a car or even a motorcycle and learn how the clutch works. It's a very simple thing and once you learn how it works it will help you understand how and when to shift.

You have the hardest part down for most people, you aren't afraid of how big the package car is and intimidated when driving it. That will make it easier, because you just need to work on the shifting.

Good luck!

You need to be able to shift without thinking about it so you can concentrate on other parts of doing the job.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
He just has to pass a road test. I think he said there are only 3 manual trucks in his building. Of course those will probably be used during peak so he could get stuck in one.

I used to like the manual trucks...none of that stupid beeping the new ones have.

MC0493

I'll never forget the first day i ended up in a standard during my 30 days. My mind was consumed enough with just trying to do the job, couldn't focus on stops cause i was so focused on just driving. Needless you say you learn quickly when you have to.

Savvy412

I had to come to the hub on Saturdays and learn . Luckily I had a lot of support and everyone was willing to help ..
But I barley passed . Really didn’t but they let me go anyway .

My first route was automatic. And then 2 years later I go to my pc in the morning and it was a stick . Lol

But. Somehow made it there and back . Since then I have had Manuals and though it sucks , I geterdone. But there’s always 1 gear in every truck I struggle with

Rack em

Made the Podium
I had to come to the hub on Saturdays and learn . Luckily I had a lot of support and everyone was willing to help ..
But I barley passed . Really didn’t but they let me go anyway .

My first route was automatic. And then 2 years later I go to my pc in the morning and it was a stick . Lol

But. Somehow made it there and back . Since then I have had Manuals and though it sucks , I geterdone. But there’s always 1 gear in every truck I struggle with
Some of those older manuals have a specific pattern to get in a certain gear. I remember an old pos wouldn't go into 3rd gear unless you tried to put it in 3rd, grinded the gears trying to get it into 1st, a quick jab at 2nd, then it would finally go into 3rd gear.