The friend* Clutch

lolbr

They use some slow old diesels for testing here. Lucky if you can get them to 60mph downhill with a tailwind. Horrible shifting, but there is a trick that makes it easy. After figuring it out, I actually like driving them. It seems they won't rev past a certain point if you aren't in a gear. So shifting to a higher gear I just never let of the gas pedal.

Once I'm off the clutch in first (or second if skipping first), gas pedal goes to floor, and stays there. When I need to shift, just push clutch in, shift, let off clutch. Gas pedal still on floor.

Obviously this won't work on all cars, but it does work well on some.

W

What The Hawk?

So I need to pass my driver's test for my DOT and I'm good with driving automatic package cars (since I do it on Saturday's alot) but unfortunately I'm not so good driving manual. I managed to get it in the first gear but I've been having a hard time shifting the gears. Any tips on manual? I've been practicing at the hub.
Double clutching. It's amazing. Hard to do in a regular manual car but in this trucks...its your go to trick. Works great.

W

What The Hawk?

I just passed my road test last Wednesday. I was nervous as hell because I didn't know how to drive a manual very well...so I bought a manual car two weeks earlier. But those trucks are hard to change gears unless you double clutch.

W

What The Hawk?

One of the drivers told me that as long as you don't hit anything during the drive test, you'll pass. Is this true?
I failed my first road test and I didnt hit anything. It really depends on the center/hub and the sup doing the road test. I unfortunately was swerving in my first road test but that's easily fixed when you're looking further ahead and keeping the car center and just using your mirrors. A manual is just like an automatic you just shift gears whereas the automatic shifts for you. That's it. Remember to not look down when shifting. They watch for that. So practice even with a glass bottle in the cup holder of your personal car. Go from first which is under the reverse into second. (GO to second gear instantly after starting in first.) The engine will let you know when you need to shift.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

One of the drivers told me that as long as you don't hit anything during the drive test, you'll pass. Is this true?

Yes and no. Just because you don't hit anything does not necessarily mean that you were in control of the vehicle at all times.

Plus, to be honest, if they don't want you to pass, you ain't gonna pass.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Might vary by location. My on car could not have cared less about my starting in 2nd for my road test. Whole idea of going from 1st to 2nd in our trucks sounds silly. Are sups officially held to the starting in 1st gear standard?
We're supposed to. Am I going to fail someone for it? Probably not. But we're supposed to make sure that is what they are doing.

W

What The Hawk?

Why in the world would you double clutch in a package car?
That's what you're supposed to do when you can't shift smoothly. All truckers do it and I was told to by the on car sup. Definitely helps. I also tested in a brick on wheels.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
That's what you're supposed to do when you can't shift smoothly. All truckers do it and I was told to by the on car sup. Definitely helps. I also tested in a brick on wheels.
That's news to me. Half the cars I've ever run you don't even need to use the clutch. And the feeders you just need it in first so you don't burn out the clutch brake.

W

What The Hawk?

That's news to me. Half the cars I've ever run you don't even need to use the clutch. And the feeders you just need it in first so you don't burn out the clutch brake.
I used just the clutch to back up to a dock. lol Which the sup also told me to do.

W

What The Hawk?

I'm sure I'll learn everything I'm supposed to do (the proper way) when I go to training in a few weeks. @J92 which is also something you need to know. You aren't supposed to be perfect on your test but not screwing up badly is good too. Training is there for a reason. They just want to see if you're worth it..because training..is expensive. If you're just going to dick around and not be professional or destroy the trucks they don't want you. You did say you already drove on Saturdays though right?

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I'm sure I'll learn everything I'm supposed to do (the proper way) when I go to training in a few weeks.
2898A76A-4CBF-44DB-84C8-9A4D152F68D2.gif

W

What The Hawk?

If you can learn at least half of what you need to know I'd be impressed.

It's nothing about you, it's completely about how the class is structured. This time of year it is a mill. Get 'em in, get 'em out.
Oh..I don't understand when people use gifs as replies sometimes. LOL Either way that works for me. I'll just be doing Saturday air.