The History of Top Rate Progression?

• Thread starter thisjobaintforeverybody
  • Start date

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I started out at $4.25 an hour as a part-timer in 1975. That was twice the minimum wage of $2.10 an hour that a teenager would make at a fast food joint then. It was the 1982 contract that screwed part-timers at eight bucks an hour for many many years.

MAKAVELI

I started out at $4.25 an hour as a part-timer in 1975. That was twice the minimum wage of $2.10 an hour that a teenager would make at a fast food joint then. It was the 1982 contract that screwed part-timers at eight bucks an hour for many many years.
And just think Federal Minimum Wage is only $7.25 today. SMH

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
I believe it was 2 years by the early nineties. I started in 89 ($8 hr for car wash) and was pt for 4 years. My progression was for 2 years in 93. I'm guessing, but it was probably at least 2 contacts (8 years?) when it became 3 years. So that would be around 97, right after the strike. It stayed there for many years and by 2013 it went to a 4 year progression. That's all just ballpark estimates, but fairly close I'd think.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Gettin up early and cookin the Fam a big Texas style breakfast tomorrow am???
Naa, not really. 3 of the 5 people who are here today are leaving early to go to comicpalooza, whatever the hell that is. Its a dirty shame that part timers in this company are actually going backwards in this company as far as wages and progressions go. Especially, since I believe they are so important in making this company go, at least as much so as the drivers.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Why would the union allow that??? What did the union get in return???

The first time it was the bonus for every year of the contract (3 years). The next time it was just a 1 time bonus the first year. They were counting on getting the people who weren't looking at UPS as a career to vote for the quick money. And it worked.
Most definitely. $500 was a lot of money back then.