The History of Top Rate Progression?

• Thread starter thisjobaintforeverybody
  • Start date

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
I started in 1989 and while I don't recall my starting wage or the top rate at the time I do recall that it took 2 years to get there.
I think it was 11.70 for driving ft
And I think top rate was $16.10
Yes it was two yrs , I remember that in 89 when I started !
You also got a $ 1000.00 Christmas bonus !!

oldupsman

When I was hired in 71 it took 90 days to reach top rate.
In 71 I was making something like $6.35 an hour. My wife had a great paying job with the State of Mn. ---she made $3.35 an hour. Between us we were pulling in almost 10 bucks an hour. That was CRAZY money back then. We save $10,000 that first year and bought an $18,000 home on a nice lake.

Okay Rod, one of us has dementia setting in and won't deny it's me.
As I remember it I started in the fall of 75 as a Christmas driver at $5.35. Worked right through Christmas and the New Year.
Came back from the holiday and worked pre-load for 2 weeks before going back to driving. Then I made top rate in 30
days which I remember to be $5.89. And I thought I was living large being 23 and single.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Okay Rod, one of us has dementia setting in and won't deny it's me.
As I remember it I started in the fall of 75 as a Christmas driver at $5.35. Worked right through Christmas and the New Year.
Came back from the holiday and worked pre-load for 2 weeks before going back to driving. Then I made top rate in 30
days which I remember to be $5.89. And I thought I was living large being 23 and single.
Wow!!! How things have changed. How's retirement treating ya?

GameCockFan

I started in '88 at $9.00/hr part-time. Went driving in '93, my part-time (14.44) rate was more than driver starting pay so I got that until it caught up. Was a 2 year progression then. Got like a $6hr raise when I hit top pay.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Why would the union allow that??? What did the union get in return???

That contract passed because of part-timers not participating. They have always outnumbered full-timers, they sold themselves out. I was part time then and red-circled in at a higher rate. The signing bonus was the icing on the cake to seal the deal.

JL 0513

In 71 I was making something like $6.35 an hour. My wife had a great paying job with the State of Mn. ---she made $3.35 an hour. Between us we were pulling in almost 10 bucks an hour. That was CRAZY money back then. We save $10,000 that first year and bought an $18,000 home on a nice lake.

$18K lake house. Now you can't even buy a new Honda Civic for $18K.

oldupsman

Wow!!! How things have changed. How's retirement treating ya?

Bleepin awesome. I understand different people have different financial needs but sticking
around just because makes no sense to me. I got out at 55 and have no regrets. Sure I could have stayed a little bit longer
for a little more pension. For what? The time I've had is worth more than the money. And when I left I had
no plans whatsoever. Now I can't figure out when I had time to work.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Bleepin awesome. I understand different people have different financial needs but sticking
around just because makes no sense to me. I got out at 55 and have no regrets. Sure I could have stayed a little bit longer
for a little more pension. For what? The time I've had is worth more than the money. And when I left I had
no plans whatsoever. Now I can't figure out when I had time to work.
Do you know any folks that you worked with that passed away within a few years of retirement??? That fear in itself is why I'm leaving the minute I can get the friend out...

Coldworld

60 months and counting
That contract passed because of part-timers not participating. They have always outnumbered full-timers, they sold themselves out. I was part time then and red-circled in at a higher rate. The signing bonus was the icing on the cake to seal the deal.
Do you remember the amount of the bonus??