The History of Top Rate Progression?

• Thread starter thisjobaintforeverybody
  • Start date

clean hairy

I started in '88 at $9.00/hr part-time. Went driving in '93, my part-time (14.44) rate was more than driver starting pay so I got that until it caught up. Was a 2 year progression then. Got like a $6hr raise when I hit top pay.
You must have started as a sorter, in the 93-97 contract, Sorters started at $9 per hour, all others started at $8.

T

thisjobaintforeverybody

So, basically what it sounds like is top rate was two years or less pre 2008. That was what I was looking for! T

oldupsman

Do you know any folks that you worked with that passed away within a few years of retirement??? That fear in itself is why I'm leaving the minute I can get the friend out...

Sure do. 2 that I know of. 1 got cancer 6 months after he was out and passed away 6 months later.
Horrible. Just a great guy.
Second was up on his roof working on some windows when he fell and broke his neck. Paraplegic.
Died 2 years later from the complications. Another solid guy.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Sure do. 2 that I know of. 1 got cancer 6 months after he was out and passed away 6 months later.
Horrible. Just a great guy.
Second was up on his roof working on some windows when he fell and broke his neck. Paraplegic.
Died 2 years later from the complications. Another solid guy.
That's what I'm afraid of... retiring late then croaking a year later... live your life

rod

Retired 22 years
Okay Rod, one of us has dementia setting in and won't deny it's me.
As I remember it I started in the fall of 75 as a Christmas driver at $5.35. Worked right through Christmas and the New Year.
Came back from the holiday and worked pre-load for 2 weeks before going back to driving. Then I made top rate in 30
days which I remember to be $5.89. And I thought I was living large being 23 and single.

I can't remember which one of us has on-setting dementia. :rolleyes: But I do remember us being the envy of everyone in our families because we were pulling in almost $10 an hour between the two of us. In fact I have a sister-in-law who has told me she hated us because we were doing so good and they were struggling.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Do you remember the amount of the bonus??
The bonuses were $500 for PTers and $1000 for FT. I started driving in '84 so I got a bonus check for something like $666 after taxes. The Teamsters didn't want us to get a bonus because they wanted that money to be put into an hourly raise. That caused dues to go up.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
The bonuses were $500 for PTers and $1000 for FT. I started driving in '84 so I got a bonus check for something like $666 after taxes. The Teamsters didn't want us to get a bonus because they wanted that money to be put into an hourly raise. That caused dues to go up.
Happy Birthday scratch!