The Official Calling Off Thread

CTOTH

Not retired, just tired
Take the day off. Management has asked me to put off surgery to repair torn tendons in my finger until after peak. I did not. Some drivers who are sick are working because they were guilted into it or threatened with termination. A driver in our center had pink eye and was forced to come in by intimidation. Many drivers have complained about missing their kid's plays, baseball games, parent teacher conferences, dinner with their famlies, etc. Our manager is out at 5 regardless of what is happening in our center. They could care less about you. Do what is important to you and bring the center absense average up.:thumbup1: Life is short
In some states it's illegal to attend work while knowingly carrying pink eye.

CTOTH

Not retired, just tired
No union employee is ever going to give UPS or their management team 100% until they receive 100% in return. Bottom line. Life is too short

Joopster, You ought to take a couple days off or maybe even 3 as retribution for the denial of an option day.

Some might say retaliation is juvenile but fight fire with fire.

Joopster

Boxline Sorter
No union employee is ever going to give UPS or their management team 100% until they receive 100% in return. Bottom line. Life is too short

Joopster, You ought to take a couple days off or maybe even 3 as retribution for the denial of an option day.

Some might say retaliation is juvenile but fight fire with fire.

I agree. I will take a whole week off, and then be awarded another week without pay or fired. What is so bad about that?

browned out

A guy walks into a bar and Columbus and asks the barkeep "did you hear the one about OSU?" Four huge men approach the man and state that they play for OSU and ask if he wants to tell them the joke.

He replies "what? and then have to explain it 4 times?"

Joopster

Boxline Sorter
Did you hear that the University of Michigan library burned to the ground? All five books in the library were destroyed. The football team was very upset because they hadn't colored in two of them yet.

Joopster

Boxline Sorter
Once upon a time in the Kingdom of Heaven, God was missing for six days. Eventually, Michael the archangel found him, resting on the seventh day.

He inquired of God, "Where have you been?"

God sighed a deep sigh of satisfaction and proudly pointed downwards through the clouds, "Look, Michael, look what I've made."

Archangel Michael looked puzzled and said, "What is it?"

"It's a planet," replied God, "and I've put LIFE on it. I'm going to call it Earth, and it's going to be a great place of balance."

"Balance?" inquired Michael, still confused.

God explained, pointing to different parts of Earth, "For example, Northern Europe will be a place of great opportunity and wealth while Southern Europe is going to be poor. The Middle East over there will be a hot spot. Over there I've placed a continent of white people, and over there is a continent of black people."

God continued, pointing to different countries. "This one will be extremely hot and arid while this one will be very cold and covered in ice."

The Archangel, impressed by God's work, then pointed to a small, lovely land mass and asked, "What's that one?"

"Ohio," God replied, "the most glorious place on Earth. There's beautiful lakes, rivers, streams and exquisite grasslands. The people from Ohio are going to be modest, intelligent and humorous, and they're going to be found traveling the world. They'll be extremely sociable, hardworking and high achieving, and they will be known throughout the world as diplomats and carriers of peace. They will be admired by all who come in contact with them."

Michael gasped in wonder and admiration but then proclaimed, "What about balance, God? You said there will be BALANCE!"

God replied wisely, "Wait until you see the loudmouth, whiny-ass, arrogant piss ants I've put next to them in Michigan!"

browned out

Two Ohio State fans were walking down the street when they came upon a dog lying on the sidewalk licking and cleaning his groin like dogs do. The first Ohio State fan says to the second, "Boy, I wish I could do that." The second Ohio State fan replies, "Yeah, me too. But I wouldn't try it." The first Ohio State fan asks, "Why not?" The second Ohio Statefan replies, "Because I'm afraid the dog might bite me."

browned out

A Michigan fan and an Ohio State fan go to the restroom and stand next
to each other at the urinal. They finish about the same time. The
Ohio State fan goes to the sink to wash his hands and the Michigan fan
starts to walk out. The Ohio State fan yells at the Michigan fan and
says hey in Ohio they teach us to wash our hands after going to the
bathroom. The Michigan fan replies back. At Michigan they teach us
not to pee on our hands...

Last edited:

Overpaid Union Thug

Now UT is checked before every game ;)

It was Nike's fault that they were wearing cleats that were barely a tad too long. The NCAA didn't step in because NIKE botched the order. Plus, the extra length didn't seem to help on the crappy field they were playing on that morning. Nike got scrapped as the equipment and apparel provider for UT. They have been using Addidas every since.

I'm pulling for the Gators (strange to do so as a Tennessee fan) because they are a fellow SEC team. Plus, we only lost to them by a point and if our QB hadn't been injured later in the season that would probably have been our only loss. The SEC was the toughest conference this year BAR NONE so even if the Gators lose we will still have that to brag about. I just hope my VOLS beat Penn State. We have beaten OSU and Michigan in bowls so now we just need to take care of PSU.

satellitedriver

Take the day off. Management has asked me to put off surgery to repair torn tendons in my finger until after peak. I did not. Some drivers who are sick are working because they were guilted into it or threatened with termination. A driver in our center had pink eye and was forced to come in by intimidation. Many drivers have complained about missing their kid's plays, baseball games, parent teacher conferences, dinner with their famlies, etc. Our manager is out at 5 regardless of what is happening in our center. They could care less about you. Do what is important to you and bring the center absense average up.:thumbup1: Life is short
Forced? Intimidation? If there is a legitimate problem, then take the day, week or month off. You care less about yourself when you submit to intimidation. Having said that, to call in when there is no physical problem ,that is lieing to yourself and to the company.
I am not Superman, but I have never called in sick for the last 20 years. If I ever do get sick, I would call in in a heartbeat.
Management asked you to put off surgery, so you made the choice to do so. Being a man cuts both ways. Doing the job you are paid to do even though you could lie and do something fun, is one way. Never bending your knee to intimidation is another.

satellitedriver

That would be "and watch ESPN all day". Another poster had mentioned that I should be at work because the customer counts on me to be there and make service on their packages. I am at UPS because the same reason everyone else is there. The bennies are good and the pay is decent. I am coming up on 6 years and will not be leaving anytime soon. That said, if something better comes up, I am outta here. My dad works for UPS currently as a feeder driver. He likes his job, but he didn't really care for the route that got him there. Long days in those damn package cars.

Yes, where I work, we send home roughly 1-2 people per night. If they ask me to go, I gladly oblige and head out to my car. I am a dual income family and don't need anything but the bennies from the job. If I can come home everynight and spend time with my wife rather than working as slave labor, then that is what I will do.

GO BUCKEYES!
Thanks for the an/and correction.
I also have a dual income household and I hold up my half. You do not convey the willingness to do the same.
The pay is great and the "bennies" are OK.
Slave labor? Take a minute and look at you wrists and ankles. Do you see any shackles on them? Take your shirt off and look in the mirror to see if you have any whip marks on your back.
Do want you think is right.

Joopster

Boxline Sorter
I also have a dual income household and I hold up my half. You do not convey the willingness to do the same.
Slave labor? Take a minute and look at you wrists and ankles. Do you see any shackles on them? Take your shirt off and look in the mirror to see if you have any whip marks on your back.

Well, sorry to get you all so busted up about this. I told my sup I'd be there Jan 8th. I told him to hook me up getting me out early tonight and I would definetely be there... He said ok :)

RockyRogue

Agent of Change

Sounds like he enjoys sarcasm and/or being paternal with a few other posters, too. Sure he's not a supervisor? He sure strikes me as one in some respects. :confused:1

Joopster

Boxline Sorter
Reason I am working is because I am going to TIVO the game. I will also probably be working overtime because half of the hub won't be there...