The Official Calling Off Thread

satellitedriver

Well, sorry to get you all so busted up about this. I told my sup I'd be there Jan 8th. I told him to hook me up getting me out early tonight and I would definetely be there... He said ok :)
So your not a slave now? You stood up to "MASTA" and he gave you his blessing. Be a good "TOBY" and enjoy the game.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Yes, I enjoy sarcasm. Supervisor, you have got to be kidding. I will not wear that collar.

Interesting...I misjudged the approach you took, Satellite. I knew a few sups that were willing to argue with hourlies. Sometimes they'd actually win without involving the union. Never seen or heard of a fellow Teamster arguing with another about attendance. I know I certainly wasn't pleased when people didn't show on my sort aisle but I didn't argue with them about it the next day and when I knew someone was gonna call off the next day, I just shook my head and walked away because it was pretty much hopeless to argue about it. Congrats on changing Joopsters mind!! Rocky

satellitedriver

Interesting...I misjudged the approach you took, Satellite. I knew a few sups that were willing to argue with hourlies. Sometimes they'd actually win without involving the union. Never seen or heard of a fellow Teamster arguing with another about attendance. I know I certainly wasn't pleased when people didn't show on my sort aisle but I didn't argue with them about it the next day and when I knew someone was gonna call off the next day, I just shook my head and walked away because it was pretty much hopeless to argue about it. Congrats on changing Joopsters mind!! Rocky
I am not a teamster. I quit the union in 1997. They quit me long before I quit them. I was born mid-last century and still have the "Leave it to Beaver" and "Andy Griffith" values. Never got over the work ethic shown to me by my father, by his example. So now, I am suppose to accept the new work ethic. That is not going to happen.
Duty, Honor,Loyalty and Honesty may be a thing of the past in todays work force ,but it is a credo I try to live by.
Try is the imperative word.
If it was easy and fun, everybody would be doing it.
PAX,
Sat

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
I am not a teamster. I quit the union in 1997. They quit me long before I quit them. I was born mid-last century and still have the "Leave it to Beaver" and "Andy Griffith" values. Never got over the work ethic shown to me by my father, by his example. So now, I am suppose to accept the new work ethic. That is not going to happen.
Duty, Honor,Loyalty and Honesty may be a thing of the past in todays work force ,but it is a credo I try to live by.
Try is the imperative word.
If it was easy and fun, everybody would be doing it.
PAX,
Sat

My Dad's about your age, then. He showed me the same work ethic. It drives him nuts that most of the jobs I've had were Union shops. I was a Teamster in Illinois a few years ago. I never was a troublemaker but I knew people that were. I didn't really have an opinion about the Union as long as they stayed the hell out of my when I was doing my job and didn't screw me some way. There, I was very lucky. I agreed with most of my building management's conduct, attitude and orders. Accepting mediocrity is to accept substandardness and I too refuse to accept it. I guess I just have a much different way of going about it. Rocky

local804

We do have optional days and sick days for a reason. There is a life outside UPS and many management do not see this. Dont get me wrong, the Job is a very important thing, but learn to differ between the two.

satellitedriver

My Dad's about your age, then. He showed me the same work ethic. It drives him nuts that most of the jobs I've had were Union shops. I was a Teamster in Illinois a few years ago. I never was a troublemaker but I knew people that were. I didn't really have an opinion about the Union as long as they stayed the hell out of my when I was doing my job and didn't screw me some way. There, I was very lucky. I agreed with most of my building management's conduct, attitude and orders. Accepting mediocrity is to accept substandardness and I too refuse to accept it. I guess I just have a much different way of going about it. Rocky
It is funny to me that you used the archain word" mediocity". My brother when to the 50Th reunion of our high school and bought all 6 of his siblings a shirt with the shield and the motto of Mt. Carmel High School.. Translated from Latin it says " It is not permitted to be mediocre". Two valuable things I learned at Mt. Carmel. Never accept being mediocre and now matter how much I got the **** beat out of me, never to bend to authority. I do not have trauma over having someone trying to beat me down ,actually I enjoy someone to try.
I guess this post is a little personal, but I thought it best to let whoever reads these post to get a little insight to my background. To me, posts seem to be more about opinion and no background of the person behind them. If you do not like my posts. Let me know

trickpony1

We do have optional days and sick days for a reason. There is a life outside UPS and many management do not see this. Dont get me wrong, the Job is a very important thing, but learn to differ between the two.

I agree. There are events in one's life that occur infrequently. These include, but are not limited to:
Graduations
Funerals
Births
Emergency Hospitalizations
Bowl game of your favorite team
Dentist
Doctor
Etc.

If you'll look real close you'll probably be able to discern that none of these occur every Friday. These are what your optional days are for.
Management doesn't understand this because they simply get one of their buddies to cover for them while they run these errands and they are back before the drivers get in.
Simply magic. :ohmy:

mittam

It was Nike's fault that they were wearing cleats that were barely a tad too long. The NCAA didn't step in because NIKE botched the order. Plus, the extra length didn't seem to help on the crappy field they were playing on that morning. Nike got scrapped as the equipment and apparel provider for UT. They have been using Addidas every since.

I'm pulling for the Gators (strange to do so as a Tennessee fan) because they are a fellow SEC team. Plus, we only lost to them by a point and if our QB hadn't been injured later in the season that would probably have been our only loss. The SEC was the toughest conference this year BAR NONE so even if the Gators lose we will still have that to brag about. I just hope my VOLS beat Penn State. We have beaten OSU and Michigan in bowls so now we just need to take care of PSU.

Penn State Rolled today !!!!!

mittam

I agree. There are events in one's life that occur infrequently. These include, but are not limited to:
Graduations
Funerals
Births
Emergency Hospitalizations
Bowl game of your favorite team
Dentist
Doctor
Etc.

If you'll look real close you'll probably be able to discern that none of these occur every Friday. These are what your optional days are for.
Management doesn't understand this because they simply get one of their buddies to cover for them while they run these errands and they are back before the drivers get in.
Simply magic. :ohmy:
We had on-road sup leave one day during peak at 4.30, his daughter had a Christmas program and he left to see it. Boy none of us drivers could have done that

mittam

Blue schmue. Your not bitter like the rest of the "up north" fans are you?

Oh yeah
And Ann arbor is still a whore. :lol:

Great post here Joopster, oh by the way I have the shirt about Ann Arbor, take the day enjoy the game the parcel will be fine all the people with negativity to you taking off must have perfect attendance for their careers, company suck ups or afraid to take personal time off, I am sure they have taken a day for something that is important to them, it may not have been a ball game but I would bet at some point they have taken a day off. Oh a big THANKS for all the great pictures of the Ohio State- michigan game loved them!! Last thing I have to say about this post is .... GO BUCKEYES!!!!