The Runner Gunner Lunch Skippers are HATING the new DOT lunch rule

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Sorting boxes on break is working off the clock, you are moving packages and not resting. Its as simple as that, no gray area there.

Johney

Sorting boxes on break is working off the clock, you are moving packages and not resting. Its as simple as that, no gray area there.
I agree. But it is a way around the system. Unless the DOT sits and watches how can someone be charged with a violation? I really don't think UPS will look into it as they have no reason to. Driver is off the clock. Do they really care what you do on your time as long as it's not illegal?

over9five

Staff member
I agree. But it is a way around the system. Unless the DOT sits and watches how can someone be charged with a violation? I really don't think UPS will look into it.
Agreed. This is what the drivers with their tails constantly tucked between their legs will do.

U

uber

Not a big deal as I always took a 30 minute lunch anyways. I have good numbers generally so some might consider me a runner/gunner or whatever. When in reality I can compartmentalize the driving aspect of the job where I'm cautious and defensive from the delivering where I'm like Sonic the Hedgehog.

Whatever, haters gonna hate.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
I agree. But it is a way around the system. Unless the DOT sits and watches how can someone be charged with a violation? I really don't think UPS will look into it as they have no reason to. Driver is off the clock. Do they really care what you do on your time as long as it's not illegal?
We were told the DOT will do periodic audits,and that the fine fora violation is very high. I feel that so long as that the telematics report shows no delivering,driving or pickups made during this time( we were informed the driver must be free from any responsibilities) Management will have no interest in what the driver is doing i.e sorting

ManInBrown

I always take my full one hour lunch every day. Consecutively. I have since day 1 with the company. I will admit to sorting my car though while on that 1 hour lunch. Just makes the rest of the day flow smoother. Usually takes about 15 minutes. Do different areas of the country have different lunch rules. Where I am we must take an hour. What is this 30 minute lunch?

Fullhouse

The way I see it, is this. If a lower seniority driver is allowed to start early for lunch then all should be able to start early whether they take lunch or not. A few grievances on article 48 (seniority) will put a stop to early start times.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
.....the time spent driving from breaking trace to lunch cannot be counted( i.e if it takes 2 min to get there and 2 to get back 34 min must be taken) ...

They just changed and re-looped my entire route as part of the ORION implementation process.

I now have a 250 square mile delivery area without one restaraunt, one store or one public restroom in it.

There are several places around the perimeter of my route where I can go, and if I am creative enough in how I run the trace its pretty easy for me to eat lunch or use the public restrooms at those places without having to waste too much time or run up an unreasonable number of miles to get there... but it will almost certainly wind up conflicting with how ORION is going to tell me to run the route.

So as far as me having to use my personal time to drive to the nearest restroom or break area... when it was the company who created the problem in the first place by changing my route around in order to install ORION...they can kiss my ass. ORION doesnt need to eat and ORION doesnt need to use a toilet and wash its hands, so if its lunch time and I have to spend 7 minutes driving 2.4 miles off trace to the nearest place where I can get a sandwich and use a clean restroom with soap and hot water.... that 7 minutes is going to be on the company's time not mine.

Last edited:

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
After my building went to PAS and EDD there has been no need to sort your truck, or look for misloads.
VkENWqV_zpsb04d6b81.gif

barnyard

KTM rider
So as far as me having to use my personal time to drive to the nearest restroom or break area... when it was the company who created the problem in the first place by changing my route around in order to install ORION...they can kiss my ass. ORION doesnt need to eat and ORION doesnt need to use a toilet and wash its hands, so if its lunch time and I have to spend 7 minutes driving 2.4 miles off trace to the nearest place where I can get a sandwich and use a clean restroom with soap and hot water.... that 7 minutes is going to be on the company's time not mine.

Even without Orion, there are routes where I also HAVE to break trace or go out of area for lunch. Their problem, not mine.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
If there's any kind of a steward there, this could be stopped immediately. File for that time! It is managements responsibility to keep people from working before their start time. Once they start paying every day for that time, they'll put a stop to it.

Yeah, I was thinking that about the guy above asking if you could file on that. Hell yes you can file. One of our old stewards loved bragging about how guys working before start time paid for the wheels and tires on his '66 Corvette. After management pays for some of these grievances, sups will walk the boxline checking for dipsticks working early.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
You may want to pack a lunch and some handiwipes. Maybe a tent and sleeping bag for those late nights.

I actually had a center manager tell me once...and I quote..."if you bid a rural route you had better be willing to bring some handi-wipes and pee in the bushes."

Leaving aside for one moment the fact that this is not really a realistic option for female employees...there is no way in hell that the company has the right to instruct us to attend to our bodily needs in such a manner. Regardless of how many miles it might cost, we have an absolute right to use clean and suitable restroom facilities at some point during the work day.

Will I pee in the woods at night in order to avoid wasting a bunch of time and miles? Absolutely. Will I have some ignorant, pencil-necked cubicle weenie demand that I do that in order to avoid showing up on some stupid Telematics report? Absolutely not.

Dracula

All it takes is ONE person to report this kind of BS. The DOT rules specifically prohibit this.

I have talked to guys already who simply sort their entire truck for 30 minutes and count that as the 30 minute break. No deliveries show up on DIAD in that time and truck is not moving for 30 minutes on Telematics report. Runner Gunner problem solved. Everyone always can increase their SPORH when your truck is loaded stop for stop I don't care who you are.

Dracula

While I agree that it is not the intent of the law I disagree that the letter of the law is being broken. If the driver wants to sort during their lunch that is their problem.

Nope, the letter of the law is for the 30 minute break to be OFF-DUTY. Read this: https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/documents/hos/Interstate-Truck-Driver-Guide-to-HOS_508.pdf , and it specifically describes the difference between on duty and off duty. Any sorting would be classified as on duty, and as such, would be a violation of these rules. Definitely, this is a letter of the law violation.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
We have one guy that used to record 30 minutes driving to his area that was 10 minutes away and then record the second 30 minutes driving back in. Its driving him crazy, just like the guy who used to run and skip his whole lunch everyday. Both of them won't be clocking out at 5PM anymore. We did have a tier 3 accident yesterday, I don't know if it involved one of our rabbits trying to make up time.

Working for free has to be one of the dumbest things ever. I'm here for one reason $$$$$$.