The Runner Gunner Lunch Skippers are HATING the new DOT lunch rule

'Lord Brown's bidding'

We were told the DOT will do periodic audits,and that the fine fora violation is very high. I feel that so long as that the telematics report shows no delivering,driving or pickups made during this time( we were informed the driver must be free from any responsibilities) Management will have no interest in what the driver is doing i.e sorting

The principles involved here are different than the ones concerning other violations where driver and company are fined, say riding with bulkhead door open. First, the legal definition of what is considered "on-time" is beneficial more so to prevent management abuses than catching guys sorting on the truck. Like a lot of violations of the law, eg. speeding, a discussion will probably happen to see what is going on here.

If a guy copes with ADHD, he may not be able to just sit down and take it easy. He explains that to the official or inspector, you think a fine is still going to be issued? He might find the activity restful, no different than solving a rubiks cube or doing soduku, to each his own.

OTOH, if driver's reasoning is, "I am trying to save time", he will at least get a warning (unfortunately for the little league coaches, this probably includes them, especially since it isn't a rare or occasional occurence. The guy trying to attend a formal that night is probably ok).

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Agreed. This is what the drivers with their tails constantly tucked between their legs will do.

Rather than look down with utter disdain on such drivers, why not help them? They may not fully understand how discipline in connection with performance works-as a steward you do-nor may they appreciate the ways one can save time throughout their day, liking "sorting on the fly. As an experienced driver you probably have tips. The majority of these drivers would take a lunch if they thought they could.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
The principles involved here are different than the ones concerning other violations where driver and company are fined, say riding with bulkhead door open. First, the legal definition of what is considered "on-time" is beneficial more so to prevent management abuses than catching guys sorting on the truck. Like a lot of violations of the law, eg. speeding, a discussion will probably happen to see what is going on here.

If a guy copes with ADHD, he may not be able to just sit down and take it easy. He explains that to the official or inspector, you think a fine is still going to be issued? He might find the activity restful, no different than solving a rubiks cube or doing soduku, to each his own.

OTOH, if driver's reasoning is, "I am trying to save time", he will at least get a warning (unfortunately for the little league coaches, this probably includes them, especially since it isn't a rare or occasional occurence. The guy trying to attend a formal that night is probably ok).

I really suggest you read the new law, it leaves no Grey Areas,Areas for Discussion or Areas for Exception. The DOT will audit records in detail and those drivers found not in compliance will be recognized. With Telematics it will make th audit VERY easy,and as the DOT is financially motivated I predict they will be very aggressive finding violations in the name of 'safety'

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I really suggest you read the new law, it leaves no Grey Areas,Areas for Discussion or Areas for Exception. The DOT will audit records in detail and those drivers found not in compliance will be recognized. With Telematics it will make th audit VERY easy,and as the DOT is financially motivated I predict they will be very aggressive finding violations in the name of 'safety'

How will any of this stop drivers from sorting on their lunch hours?

'Lord Brown's bidding'

It's interesting how no one would dare come in on their vacation to work (not clocking in to run the route) but are willing to work one day a week free (5 days at OT = 7.5), 1 week a month (4.5 X 7.5 = 33.75) by performing their jobs off the clock. Think about it and get back to me when you can rationalize that.

I wish they'd ask me to come in on vacation. Isnt that entire week time-and-one-half, PLUS the vacation pay? Sweet Baby Ray's!

However, the reason guys don't come in on vacation weeks is they probably have something planned for the family, and given the time sacrificed throughout the year they aren't about to ask their family for the time the company cannot touch, not even forcibly, without their permission. I enjoy working Saturdays (none of the stress/pressure really, but all the aspects of the job I love), but it is often a real sore point of contention with the misses, for that reason.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Also 728, the DOT primarily is NOT trying to raise additional revenue for the gov't with this, unlike a state trooper who tickets someone who goes 5mph over the limit. They will be looking for egregious offenders first and foremost. A guy using his time as he chooses, vs a guy who feels compelled to do so, is not on their radar (and a simple interview will determine that).

over9five

Staff member
Rather than look down with utter disdain on such drivers, why not help them? They may not fully understand how discipline in connection with performance works-as a steward you do-nor may they appreciate the ways one can save time throughout their day, liking "sorting on the fly. As an experienced driver you probably have tips. The majority of these drivers would take a lunch if they thought they could.
I don't know that you can help a man with no pride and self-respect. It is something they should have learned or been taught growing up. These are grown men......
Absolutely mystifies me how one could work for no pay. And YES, I understand when someone will run their lunch to make some event once in a while. But most of these lunch-runners do it every day.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The only change this will create for me is during the last week of peak season.

At that point, I typically dont take a lunch break at all. I put "lunch 12:00-12:00" in the board so that I'm not falsifying any documents or working off of the clock, and just eat my food during my 10 and 15 minute paid break or while I am sorting. I'm gonna work 59.99 hours per week anyway, so by then I really dont give a :censored2: anymore. All the new rule means is that I will get home half an hour later at night. Its going to suck, but peak sucks anyway so I'm not going to let it bother me.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Also 728, the DOT primarily is NOT trying to raise additional revenue for the gov't with this, unlike a state trooper who tickets someone who goes 5mph over the limit. They will be looking for egregious offenders first and foremost. A guy using his time as he chooses, vs a guy who feels compelled to do so, is not on their radar (and a simple interview will determine that).
This is the same kind of locker room lawyering you were using to justify exceeding the speed limit in that other thread. You really think that if a violation is reported to the DOT they are going to ask the driver if it was "ok with him" to work through his 30 minute break? And that will make it all ok? Seriously?

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
How will any of this stop drivers from sorting on their lunch hours?

It wont. As i stated earlier so long as the Telematics report shows no driving,delivering or pick up activity management will have no interest in what the driver is doing.
As with most things this is just another big Dog and Pony show in the interest of 'Safety'

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
The DOT will audit performance logs, and any and all violations will be charged to the company in the name of 'safety' for Revenue increases. It will be very impersonal,very clear,and very black and white

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
The only change this will create for me is during the last week of peak season.

At that point, I typically dont take a lunch break at all. I put "lunch 12:00-12:00" in the board so that I'm not falsifying any documents or working off of the clock, and just eat my food during my 10 and 15 minute paid break or while I am sorting. I'm gonna work 59.99 hours per week anyway, so by then I really dont give a :censored2: anymore. All the new rule means is that I will get home half an hour later at night. Its going to suck, but peak sucks anyway so I'm not going to let it bother me.
I beg to opine this will HELP during peak

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
This is the same kind of locker room lawyering you were using to justify exceeding the speed limit in that other thread. You really think that if a violation is reported to the DOT they are going to ask the driver if it was "ok with him" to work through his 30 minute break? And that will make it all ok? Seriously?

LOL this reminds me of the CDL driver in front of me in traffic court for a seat belt violation who was explaining to the Judge how he had his seatbelt on, but didn't have his arm through the shoulder portion properly. Judge says "if you weren't wearing it properly, you weren't wearing it. I find you responsible."

(and before you ask yes I beat my ticket.)

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
It wont. As i stated earlier so long as the Telematics report shows no driving,delivering or pick up activity management will have no interest in what the driver is doing.
As with most things this is just another big Dog and Pony show in the interest of 'Safety'

I would think the chance of a package car driver being audited by the DOT for this are pretty slim.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
I would think the chance of a package car driver being audited by the DOT for this are pretty slim.

But complaints could cause an audit. Here our ADOT & DPS CVE just got a huge new fleet of shiny F250's & it seems like they doubled their force, plus a directive for regular DPS officers to stop one commercial vehicle per week to perform a level 3 inspection. With DUI's dropping, maybe the local authorities will get on board.
North American Standard Driver/Vehicle Inspection Levels - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

Indecisi0n

LOL this reminds me of the CDL driver in front of me in traffic court for a seat belt violation who was explaining to the Judge how he had his seatbelt on, but didn't have his arm through the shoulder portion properly. Judge says "if you weren't wearing it properly, you weren't wearing it. I find you responsible."

How does one beat a nude in public ticket?

728ups

All Trash No Trailer

We must agree to disagree,as information given to us during the PCM every day last week gave the impression the DOT is very very interested in auditing records for Lunch Violations.

With Telematics recording every move the Package car makes,and UPS being such a huge cash target for the DOT I think audits by the DOT will be VERY frequent

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

How does one beat a nude in public ticket?

No one couldn't actually see it without magnification.