The Runner Gunner Lunch Skippers are HATING the new DOT lunch rule

porkwagon

The company will be fine, UPS is very good at adjusting to changes and making money. The runners will sort it out as well, either by picking up the pace even more to make up for that "lost" half hour or by coming in a half hour earlier and working for free on the front end.
If they insist on working through lunch, and keeping compliance, once they deliver bulk and most business, they can punch out for lunch and during that time, sort the resi's stop for stop. With the ORION solution to boot so they can meet that metric as well.

What'dyabringmetoday???

I actually had a center manager tell me once...and I quote..."if you bid a rural route you had better be willing to bring some handi-wipes and pee in the bushes."

Leaving aside for one moment the fact that this is not really a realistic option for female employees...there is no way in hell that the company has the right to instruct us to attend to our bodily needs in such a manner. Regardless of how many miles it might cost, we have an absolute right to use clean and suitable restroom facilities at some point during the work day.

Will I pee in the woods at night in order to avoid wasting a bunch of time and miles? Absolutely. Will I have some ignorant, pencil-necked cubicle weenie demand that I do that in order to avoid showing up on some stupid Telematics report? Absolutely not.

Pack a lunch tough guy. You chose a rural route. While you are at it, get over yourself. (If possible) Incidentally, have you ever tried farming? It is much easier than what you do. Way more money too. Lol?

gman042

Been around the block a few times
Sorting boxes on break is working off the clock, you are moving packages and not resting. Its as simple as that, no gray area there.

I agree. But it is a way around the system. Unless the DOT sits and watches how can someone be charged with a violation? I really don't think UPS will look into it as they have no reason to. Driver is off the clock. Do they really care what you do on your time as long as it's not illegal?

I agree. It is your time and you can do with what you want. That is why some work through their lunch. Not because they are R/G but because they don't want to take a lunch. It is their choice.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Sorting boxes on break is working off the clock, you are moving packages and not resting. Its as simple as that, no gray area there.

I agree. But it is a way around the system. Unless the DOT sits and watches how can someone be charged with a violation? I really don't think UPS will look into it as they have no reason to. Driver is off the clock. Do they really care what you do on your time as long as it's not illegal?

I agree. It is your time and you can do with what you want. That is why some work through their lunch. Not because they are R/G but because they don't want to take a lunch. It is their choice.

Working through break is pretty much the definition of runner gunner.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
It's interesting how no one would dare come in on their vacation to work (not clocking in to run the route) but are willing to work one day a week free (5 days at OT = 7.5), 1 week a month (4.5 X 7.5 = 33.75) by performing their jobs off the clock. Think about it and get back to me when you can rationalize that.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...

Apparently, Weisenheimer, the DOT disagrees. But you can beat them up, can't you?

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
They just changed and re-looped my entire route as part of the ORION implementation process.

I now have a 250 square mile delivery area without one restaraunt, one store or one public restroom in it.

There are several places around the perimeter of my route where I can go, and if I am creative enough in how I run the trace its pretty easy for me to eat lunch or use the public restrooms at those places without having to waste too much time or run up an unreasonable number of miles to get there... but it will almost certainly wind up conflicting with how ORION is going to tell me to run the route.

So as far as me having to use my personal time to drive to the nearest restroom or break area... when it was the company who created the problem in the first place by changing my route around in order to install ORION...they can kiss my ass. ORION doesnt need to eat and ORION doesnt need to use a toilet and wash its hands, so if its lunch time and I have to spend 7 minutes driving 2.4 miles off trace to the nearest place where I can get a sandwich and use a clean restroom with soap and hot water.... that 7 minutes is going to be on the company's time not mine.

Do what we did when this came up: We told them that we were liable for the truck when we were off the clock (Lunch) and we wouldn't drive the fine, fine brown truck to our lunch areas off the clock. They told us we were instructed to clock out and drive to our meal area. Cool, we said. We just need you to put on UPS letterhead, with the center manager's signature, that we were to drive the UPS vehicle--off the clock--to our lunch area.

We never heard another word about it.

browniehound

I have found though, that when I ate anywhere between 2:30 and 4p, I would get home and be fine with a later supper (7:30ish). Now, eating between 11:30 and 12:30, when I get home, I am STARVING.

Not sure you understand the law. If you start at 830 you can take lunch as late as 1600. Lunch from 1600-1630 will get your 30 minutes in before 8 hours. No need to starve yourself.

browniehound

There are some drivers in my center who either play softball or coach little league andwant to be off as early as possible and will use any means to be there

some simply dont want to work past 1730-1800 and will use any means to be off by that time

some are terrified of management and will do what they can to scratch

Isn't that their problem and not yours? Why do you care if other drivers are hurting themselves? I have a lot more pressing issues in my life than to devote 1 second of thought to who is and who isn't taking a lunch. I simply don't care. That's management's job.

My attention at UPS is me and my route. Nothing else exists.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Isn't that their problem and not yours? Why do you care if other drivers are hurting themselves? I have a lot more pressing issues in my life than to devote 1 second of thought to who is and who isn't taking a lunch. I simply don't care. That's management's job.

I too don't care unless it affects me. And how does it? Running like a fool won't by itself save much time, however skipping meal time and working off the clock does. This type of stupidity throws numbers way off, numbers made up in the magical land of Clarksville. Now, suddenly, I have a target on my back. Anytime you work off the clock you are hurting me and a lot of other drivers trying to do a honest days work.

browniehound

It's interesting how no one would dare come in on their vacation to work (not clocking in to run the route) but are willing to work one day a week free (5 days at OT = 7.5), 1 week a month (4.5 X 7.5 = 33.75) by performing their jobs off the clock. Think about it and get back to me when you can rationalize that.

Rationale: Their free time is worth more than $48.31/hour. Mine, however is not. 99.9999999% of the time.

My question would be, if you really don't need or want the money, why not take a 22.3 job where you work a straight 8 everyday?

browniehound

I too don't care unless it affects me. And how does it? Running like a fool won't by itself save much time, however skipping meal time and working off the clock does. This type of stupidity throws numbers way off, numbers made up in the magical land of Clarksville. Now, suddenly, I have a target on my back. Anytime you work off the clock you are hurting me and a lot of other drivers trying to do a honest days work.

I disagree. We're OJS'ed at I certain number and that's all I'm required to live up to. What other people do has no affect on me. They can put a target on my back. I don't care because I never have or never will give them anything to discipline me on

Packmule

I think we will see a further increase of accidents and injuries as drivers will eschew working safely,by the methods and not driving posted speed limits

This is the only realistic view posted as to what will be the result of this law. UPS will never concede one inch on their production standards.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer

I never said it was MY problem mate. I was answering Over's question as to why people skip their lunch.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

doesnt have to. On many occasions I have pointed out the tricks and shortcuts I thought were used by those who covered my route. In the beginning, that was enough. And then my mgmt team started to ride with them and noticed they could still run the route way more effective than i could, even when taking a full lunch and not using the shortcuts. This led to them riding with me and helping me discover the methods I was weak in.

The "made up" numbers don't have to paint a target on one's back. First, the only number that can get one disciplined is their SPORH. Do you have an idea of what tricks those running your route employment to get done faster. I used to always assume the guys covering me ran through their lunches, but then after my show AND the actual cover showed me otherwise i began to look at myself more. Finally, "the ride" has more often than not proven to be my ally than something I needed to fight.

Too many need to mind their business. How are you running on your route, or if you are a cover in general? If a guys blows through his day so he can coach his little league team he isn't a coward or selfish; 50 bucks isn't worth more to him than that experience. Thankfully, not everyone in this world or even this job is about money or getting THEIRS, because they also can be quite helpful if need be. And browniehound, those guys don't take an article 22.5 because they'd make less overall, AND they may want the option to rack up when the money is needed.

I can't wait to take my lunch tomorrow. It's my time and I enjoy it. Every man should sit down for a half hour and take some time for himself. You are a man take a rest.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Working for free has to be one of the dumbest things ever. I'm here for one reason $$$$$$.

Working for free is so pervasive in UPS culture that it's ridiculous. I cracked down on a few of the setup guys in my area in the hub that would literally be doing setup work for 30 -45 minutes a day for free, which cut other guys out of setup duty. They won't even speak to me now because I forced the area supervisors to talk to them about it.

Oh well.