The "S" Does Still Stand For "Service"

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I mentioned that I have worked the occasional Saturday. If we did pickup any NDA we would have to shuttle to Potsdam, which would then forward it to your center which would then drive it to Syracuse. In your example the sup did violate the contract and it was rightfully grieved. I used to love shuttling packages to Potsdam as it was an easy 4 hours of additional OT.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Actually, the sup was not "ordered" to do anything. She assessed the situation and did what she felt was the right thing for the customer. I would be surprised if the center manager even knows about it.

Had that time and miles shown up as an added employee taking pay and benefits for the day, perhaps throwing off the "planned staffing", would the center manager have known about it then?

menotyou

bella amicizia
I mentioned that I have worked the occasional Saturday. If we did pickup any NDA we would have to shuttle to Potsdam, which would then forward it to your center which would then drive it to Syracuse. In your example the sup did violate the contract and it was rightfully grieved. I used to love shuttling packages to Potsdam as it was an easy 4 hours of additional OT.

I had to fill my truck one day with 60 out of 144 packages(144 NDSA $$$$!!!)for Platts that wouldn't go on the plane because of an overweight situation. Someone got some OT that day!! LOL!! This was about 3 years ago.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I had to fill my truck one day with 60 out of 144 packages(144 NDSA $$$$!!!)for Platts that wouldn't go on the plane because of an overweight situation. Someone got some OT that day!! LOL!! This was about 3 years ago.

What did you think of our new building? Believe it or not we have already outgrown it.

menotyou

bella amicizia
What did you think of our new building? Believe it or not we have already outgrown it.
I only got to go to Potsdam. I have heard about your building, though. I still remember when the bigwigs went through to look at it as they felt the need to stop at our 'house' first.:wink2:

I can't believe you guys have outgrown it already. I remember Larry so and so(an old labor sup) saying that this area-north of Syracuse, basically- was a bubble of economic growth compared to the rest of the country. It is still true today.

I heard grumblings about putting a new building in at the airport on Fort Drum. More of a center like yours that handles much more international stuff than we do. Wonder if they are still thinking about it? Our center was built in 1967, but, it still works pretty good.

One of these fine days I might just drive up north and stop in to say Hi!:happy-very: My Dad spent years driving up there while working as a BA. I think it was for the hydro dam. I was young.

65Goat

I was just curious, did the supe take the diad home with her? Did she scan the package at the building and DR it MCM? With telematics it is critical to scan the package at the delivery location in case there is an issue with delivery. I know I, as a driver, am expected to scan packages at the delivery location.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I would assume she most likely signed for it herself as she did receive it. I don't want to sound like a jerk, but I think the main point is that the customer was extremely happy.

65Goat

I am all about customer service, but if I sign for a package and something blows up, I am standing before the man. How was this handled Upstate? You were there. I have gone the extra mile for customers the past 25+ years. Technology has now made it next to impossible to provide the extreme customer service that used to be commonplace.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I was just curious, did the supe take the diad home with her? Did she scan the package at the building and DR it MCM? With telematics it is critical to scan the package at the delivery location in case there is an issue with delivery. I know I, as a driver, am expected to scan packages at the delivery location.

Good question. We are not on telematics--the pkg was scanned and stop completed at center. As menotyou said, the main point is the customer was taken care of.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I am all about customer service, but if I sign for a package and something blows up, I am standing before the man. How was this handled Upstate? You were there. I have gone the extra mile for customers the past 25+ years. Technology has now made it next to impossible to provide the extreme customer service that used to be commonplace.

Sorry for not answering sooner--Sunday mornings are grocery day for me.

Package was scanned and stop completed at center. Pkg handed to consignee at baseball field. Customer happy and it only added 5 minutes to sup's drive home.

I diisagree with your last sentence.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Let's not forget that the area was NOT a Saturday delivery area.

We have already discussed this.

Dave, my current situation does not skew my thinking or performance. I come to work, deliver/pick up the pkgs, and go home. I do double time on those days that I find it necessary, still deliveringpicking up ALL the pkgs. If I worked on Saturday, I would NOT deliver to a non Saturday delivery location for any reason. I don't remember you saying if the consignee called about the pkg or not, but am assuming they did not. The supe in question stepped over the boundary on this one, customer service, or not.

The Saturday sup calls all of the out of area Saturday NDA's (there are usually less than 10 as we are a small center). She meets the driver at the airport, they offload and then sort the pkgs, putting any Saturdays off to the side. They then sort the Saturdays and she takes the out of areas back to the center and the driver starts delivering. She will sort through the out of area Saturdays and try to make alternate delivery arrangements when possible. Now, had she called this customer from the airport, he would have asked her to have the driver deliver his pkg to the car dealership that he was working at and we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Your idea that my "current situation" is causing me to make poor decisions is absurd. I am, who I am.

You have already stated that there are days when you rush through your pickups and deliveries so that you can spend time with your girls. Your focus on your personal life has indeed clouded your judgement.
Rushing through pick ups, is in no way, blowing them off. Nor is flying through deliveries. There's no cloud here, and thanks for your perspective. You may want to clean your glasses. Supes should not be delivering pkgs!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Rushing through pick ups, is in no way, blowing them off. Nor is flying through deliveries. There's no cloud here, and thanks for your perspective. You may want to clean your glasses. Supes should not be delivering pkgs!

My glasses are fine, thank you--it may be your perspective that needs adjusting. Dave.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
She drove her personal vehicle as she was going home right after dropping off the pkg. This is no different from one of us being asked to run off a LIB on the way home and having our timecard adjusted.

That is only correct if the Saturday air driver winds up getting his timecard adjusted to be paid for the time that the supervisor worked.

Otherwise, it would be no different from one of us being asked to run off a LIB on our way home for free.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

That is only correct if the Saturday air driver winds up getting his timecard adjusted to be paid for the time that the supervisor worked.

Otherwise, it would be no different from one of us being asked to run off a LIB on our way home for free.

I stand corrected and will follow up with the center manager to make sure the timecard is adjusted.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

One time I delivered a NDA letter on my way home that had been left in the building. I scanned it at the building, DR, stop complete, and then clocked out on the DIAD. Once I delivered it I called the center and the clerk adjusted my punch-out time in the DIAD. We are indeed expected to scan packages at the delivery location but there are exceptional circumstances when that is not possible, and its only an integrity issue if you are intending to conceal the truth. Had I ever been questioned about this particular delivery, I would have just told the truth and had nothing to worry about.

menotyou

bella amicizia
One time I delivered a NDA letter on my way home that had been left in the building. I scanned it at the building, DR, stop complete, and then clocked out on the DIAD. Once I delivered it I called the center and the clerk adjusted my punch-out time in the DIAD. We are indeed expected to scan packages at the delivery location but there are exceptional circumstances when that is not possible, and its only an integrity issue if you are intending to conceal the truth. Had I ever been questioned about this particular delivery, I would have just told the truth and had nothing to worry about.

I have done this several times in the past. My center manager had me claim my mileage to my home along with adjusting my timecard.:happy-very:
At the time, I believe the mileage rate was 51.5 cents a mile and I live 28 miles away.:happy2: