The "S" Does Still Stand For "Service"

A

anonymous6

I see both sides of this argument and both have merit. However, this is the bottomline. We should not forget who the battle is with. Not each other but with FedEx and other package delivery companies.

This supe made a battlefield decision and it was the right one in my eyes.

The customer is probably so happy , she or he told at least 10 people about it and those 10 people told others about our Service. UPS probably gained 12 new customers because of this supes action.

We all Win.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I stand corrected and will follow up with the center manager to make sure the timecard is adjusted.
Please keep us updated.
One time I delivered a NDA letter on my way home that had been left in the building. I scanned it at the building, DR, stop complete, and then clocked out on the DIAD. Once I delivered it I called the center and the clerk adjusted my punch-out time in the DIAD. We are indeed expected to scan packages at the delivery location but there are exceptional circumstances when that is not possible, and its only an integrity issue if you are intending to conceal the truth. Had I ever been questioned about this particular delivery, I would have just told the truth and had nothing to worry about.
I hope the mileage was added to your timecard, as well. Mileage is also calculated into your workday, and those extra miles should have ben counted, as well.

I have done this several times in the past. My center manager had me claim my mileage to my home along with adjusting my timecard.:happy-very:
At the time, I believe the mileage rate was 51.5 cents a mile and I live 28 miles away.:happy2:
Sweet!

I see both sides of this argument and both have merit. However, this is the bottomline. We should not forget who the battle is with. Not each other but with FedEx and other package delivery companies.

This supe made a battlefield decision and it was the right one in my eyes.

The customer is probably so happy , she or he told at least 10 people about it and those 10 people told others about our Service. UPS probably gained 12 new customers because of this supes action.

We all Win.
And those 12 new customers will expect that their Non-Deliverable Saturdays, will be delivered, on Saturday! NOT GOOD!

brownIEman

No.

If an available driver doesnt "agree" to come in, then as a management person you instruct him to come in. This isnt a democracy. You are running a business. He chose to sign up for Saturday work and be on call, so he will report for work when instructed to do so.

If for whatever reason the employee cannot or will not come back into work when instructed to do so, and no other employees are available, then under Article 10 of the National Master agreement the supervisor would in fact be allowed to make service on the package himself if necessary.

Article 10, the article on loss and damage? How does that apply?!?

brownIEman

stevetheupsguy said:
The customer wouldn't be dissatisfied, because we don't service that area on that particular day.

You are trying to change reality to fit your world view. You want to believe so badly that following the letter of the contract could never result in poorer customer service, you are willing to project what a customer would actually consider good or poor customer service, what they would or would not consider satisfactory. Interesting. Sounds oddly familiar, wanting to change interpretation of reality to fit their preconceived notion of correct behavior, now what group of UPSers gets accused of doing that so often....?

UpstateNYUPSer said:
It's called customer service.

stevetheupsguy said:
It's also called, breaking the rules.

And here you do admit customer service and breaking the rules are hand in hand in this particular situation. Was that really so hard? Many of your brothers and sisters in the union will find it very difficult. Many I have read on these forums desperately want to believe that the only reason management EVER breaks the rules is out of greed and down right maniacal glee at being evil. They also want to believe that following every rule in the contract to the letter is always under every circumstance the best path and the only way to take car of our customers. They want to believe this, IMHO, so that they can view management as lower life forms and feel better about themselves by comparison. In all the years I have been reading these forums and your posts, I have never gotten that impression from you.

stevetheupsguy said:
And those 12 new customers will expect that their Non-Deliverable Saturdays, will be delivered, on Saturday! NOT GOOD!

No. Just no.
I love Southwest Airlines. They are convenient, usually efficient, but mostly, they have a great customer service model. One of the stories I heard about SWA years ago - A young mother was traveling with her infant. She had a 2 hour layover and realized she had forgotten to put enough formula in her carry on. She is stuck in an airport in a strange city with no way to feed her baby. A SWA customer service agent ran to a local market, bought her formula, and brought it back. That story is one of the reasons I always fly with them when I can. But when I do fly with them with my infant, I don't leave the formula home and expect them to provide it for me, that would be ridiculous.
I have many other examples of companies going above and beyond that gives me a good feel for their level of customer service and convinces me to use them even though I would not expect the exact behavior described in the story. To do so would be ridiculous.

Your assertion in this case, that any new customers this story might bring us would automatically expect this exact same behavior is ridiculous.

If you read enough of my posts from over the years I think you will find yourself forced to agree I am somewhat of an expert on making ridiculous assertions.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Article 10, the article on loss and damage? How does that apply?!?

Oops, my mistake. I was looking at the page number of my copy of the contract. The relevant language is in Article 3, section 7 of the National Master. The relevant paragraph states..."however, in the case of Acts of God supervisors shall comply with the procedures in subsections (b) and (c) and may only perform bargaining unit work until bargaining unit members are available. The employer shall make every reasonable effort to maintain a sufficient workforce to staff its operations with bargaining unit employees."

In this particular case, if the supervisor made every reasonable effort to staff the operation and call an hourly to come do the work...and was unable to get someone to report in a timely manner...she would be justified in doing the work herself in order to make service on the packages.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
What's not good is the way that you have taken your eye off of the ball.
I guess we disagree, yet again, friend.

what a miserable bunch the majority here are,, the sup did the right thing
You're all for people getting rid of your pkgs, so you can get done sooner, so your opinion doesn't count.

You are trying to change reality to fit your world view. You want to believe so badly that following the letter of the contract could never result in poorer customer service, you are willing to project what a customer would actually consider good or poor customer service, what they would or would not consider satisfactory. Interesting. Sounds oddly familiar, wanting to change interpretation of reality to fit their preconceived notion of correct behavior, now what group of UPSers gets accused of doing that so often....?

And here you do admit customer service and breaking the rules are hand in hand in this particular situation. Was that really so hard? Many of your brothers and sisters in the union will find it very difficult. Many I have read on these forums desperately want to believe that the only reason management EVER breaks the rules is out of greed and down right maniacal glee at being evil. They also want to believe that following every rule in the contract to the letter is always under every circumstance the best path and the only way to take car of our customers. They want to believe this, IMHO, so that they can view management as lower life forms and feel better about themselves by comparison. In all the years I have been reading these forums and your posts, I have never gotten that impression from you.

No. Just no.
I love Southwest Airlines. They are convenient, usually efficient, but mostly, they have a great customer service model. One of the stories I heard about SWA years ago - A young mother was traveling with her infant. She had a 2 hour layover and realized she had forgotten to put enough formula in her carry on. She is stuck in an airport in a strange city with no way to feed her baby. A SWA customer service agent ran to a local market, bought her formula, and brought it back. That story is one of the reasons I always fly with them when I can. But when I do fly with them with my infant, I don't leave the formula home and expect them to provide it for me, that would be ridiculous.
I have many other examples of companies going above and beyond that gives me a good feel for their level of customer service and convinces me to use them even though I would not expect the exact behavior described in the story. To do so would be ridiculous.

Your assertion in this case, that any new customers this story might bring us would automatically expect this exact same behavior is ridiculous.

If you read enough of my posts from over the years I think you will find yourself forced to agree I am somewhat of an expert on making ridiculous assertions.
There are Saturday delivery areas, and non Saturday delivery areas. If the area is not servicable on Saturday, it's not serviceable, Period, no matter how touchy/feely you make the story.

I think that most people here (myself included) agree that the sup did the right thing...as long as an hourly gets paid for the time.
The supe did the wrong thing, and the hourly should still be paid the grievance wage!

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Boy, all this drama over 1 package and who gets paid for it....I cannot wait till the threads start about the contract negotiations!! Its really on then.....

over9five

Staff member
Tho I agree the sup did the right thing delivering the package, I have major issues with the package being scanned and signed for at the center.

Don't all alternate deliveries need a signature??? (They do here). IMHO an hourly would get a warning letter for doing what the sup did.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Tho I agree the sup did the right thing delivering the package, I have major issues with the package being scanned and signed for at the center.

Don't all alternate deliveries need a signature??? (They do here). IMHO an hourly would get a warning letter for doing what the sup did.
While the supe gets a pat on the back.

brownIEman

No. Lets compare apples to apples. This sup did what she did under the direct instructions of an on road supervisor (herself). So if you are going to hypothesize what would happen to a driver doing the same thing, you have to ask the right question. If a driver notified their supervisor of this situation and was directed to do exactly what was done here, under what possible justification would that driver get a warning letter?

If the center manager feels she did the wrong thing, the sup will be written up. If the sup had instructed a driver to do something that the center manager felt was the wrong thing to do, the sup would be written up.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
It didn't take long for the Joe Unions to twist what was a feel good story in to a potential grievance.

The package would not have been delivered until Monday. The jerseys were needed today; in fact, the kid in question was at the field waiting for them. The supervisor did what she does every Saturday by trying to make alternate delivery arrangements for each of the out-of-area Saturday packages. The Saturday air driver had already punched out and gone home. She offered to drop it off on her way home. She didn't have to--it would have been well within her rights to have held the package until Monday or had the consignee go to the bldg if he really wanted it. She did the right thing.

You have all been duped!!!
UpState knew exactly what he was doing when he started this thread.
It's not necessarily about pitting union against management, and it only took two posts for the conversation to go right where he wanted it go.
He has always longed for validation in regards to those little unsanctioned sorty missions that he supposedly runs "on his way home".
Bottom line is that this supervisor, whether or not in the name of service, violated the contract.
Furthermore, I guarantee in the absents of a grievance, no hourly worker will be paid for the hours spent completing this stop.
Anybody who has spent any significant time at UPS knows the conflict all supervisors spend weighing what is right contractually vs. what the corporate talking heads mandate.
In the end they and UpState ignore or rewrite the contract, all the while tossing and turning in their sleep.
If this type of scenario was an isolated incidence, there would be no controversy.
But we all know better, don't we?

Just Lurking

It was frikkin baseball jerseys man....no planes required just sayin'

She drove her personal vehicle as she was going home right after dropping off the pkg. This is no different from one of us being asked to run off a LIB on the way home and having our timecard adjusted.

Guess no one here has ran into TSA agent.

Supervisors had temp DOT placards here for awhile to stick on their personal cars for shuttling. Now they use packages cars since enough routes are cut everyday. It like many things at UPS, you never know how important it is until you have had the problem (audit).

Its like all good kids like milk. I say everyone at one point could tell what it met. Now new drivers struggle to repeat something that basic to UPS.

PS It was great that it made service.

OTOH, it must have been a handwritten ASD marked Sat Delivery. The online UPS systems will not let allow a Sat delivery if zip code is not eligible. Atlanta could put SERVICE back into company if they wanted too.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
This sup did what she did under the direct instructions of an on road supervisor (herself). .
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

SELF; "OK it looks like I need you to deliver this so we can satisfy the customer"

OTHER SELF; "Sure thing, it's on my way home anyhow"

SELF; "This is SERVICE at it's finest!"

OTHER SELF; "I could not have said it better myself"

SELF "Should I get authorization from my superior?"

OTHER SELF "No! He's too busy instructing his own thoughts"

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

OTOH, it must have been a handwritten ASD marked Sat Delivery. The online UPS systems will not let allow a Sat delivery if zip code is not eligible. Atlanta could put SERVICE back into company if they wanted too.

It was a computer generated package; in fact, I hadn't seen this on a Saturday pkg before---10 AM/Saturday delivery. The system should have indicated to the shipper that the zip code was not eligible for Saturday delivery.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The package was delivered to an alternate location but was entered in to the DIAD with the address on the package with "South Acres" put in remarks column. "South Acres" is the name of the baseball field. Alternate deliveries do need a signature. Any center manager who would give an hourly a warning letter for taking care of the customer is not one that I would want to work with.

While the supe gets a pat on the back.

As she should. Let me give you a little background on the sup. She works at a local ARC in addition to being a UPS PT sup. She had worked the previous night (8-10 hours) and then came in to run the Saturday air operation. Usually by the time the Sat driver punches out she is ready to go home and go to bed yet she took it upon herself to drive 10 minutes out of her way to take care of this customer. She could have just as easily blew this guy off and let the FT driver run if off this morning and would have been well within her rights to do so.