The Truth !

Irishman Collins

Do you want to know the truth about our Union? Well here goes. Our International is virtually powerless against UPS. UPS has "all" the leverage. Why you ask? It is simple. Our Union could never afford a strike or lock out in today's culture and economics. If UPS wanted to they could lock us out at the next contract negotiations until they starved out the International and our members and our "non Union" society we live in would totally back the company's every move. Next, the Central States Pension and Health and Welfare which at one time gave our Union great power and strength. Is now our demise. Our Union has to give into UPS'S demands at contract time in order to save Central States. If Central States goes completely under so will our Union. This will cause multiple decertifications and discontent from its members. Essentially, at this time we are paying dues to keep our International running so that they can do virtually everything possible to save Central States. Even if this means concessinary contracts to boost membership in a failing plan. It is time for real reform and new ways of thinking before it is to late. The problem is, we have no such promise from either slate. Without creative thinking and "new" ideas our Union is doomed! The "new" old guard slate to the best of my knowledge has not addressed what it plans to do about Central States to date. Bottom line, we desperately need a charismatic, critical thinker, intelligent, ballsy, brilliant and creative leader. To date, I haven't seen that man on either side!

hyena

Do you want to know the truth about our Union? Well here goes. Our International is virtually powerless against UPS. UPS has "all" the leverage. Why you ask? It is simple. Our Union could never afford a strike or lock out in today's culture and economics. If UPS wanted to they could lock us out at the next contract negotiations until they starved out the International and our members and our "non Union" society we live in would totally back the company's every move. Next, the Central States Pension and Health and Welfare which at one time gave our Union great power and strength. Is now our demise. Our Union has to give into UPS'S demands at contract time in order to save Central States. If Central States goes completely under so will our Union. This will cause multiple decertifications and discontent from its members. Essentially, at this time we are paying dues to keep our International running so that they can do virtually everything possible to save Central States. Even if this means concessinary contracts to boost membership in a failing plan. It is time for real reform and new ways of thinking before it is to late. The problem is, we have no such promise from either slate. Without creative thinking and "new" ideas our Union is doomed! The "new" old guard slate to the best of my knowledge has not addressed what it plans to do about Central States to date. Bottom line, we desperately need a charismatic, critical thinker, intelligent, ballsy, brilliant and creative leader. To date, I haven't seen that man on either side!
it's easy to think this way but it ain't over yet my friend! Those that are real will never stop fighting. Samuel Adams never gave up. Change is coming..

image.jpg
Did you just wake up in 2015 from 1953? This country isn't pro union anymore. Remember back in 1997? The support. The donuts that other members from other unions would bring us on the Picket lines? The show of support? It's not the same anymore. Right to work is in so many more states now. Bush was in Office for 8 years. Republican governors are wreaking havoc on labor. This country's dynamic has changed. Unions aren't considered good anymore. The UAW really messed up our good name. Your post is mostly off base but it seems like you are starting to understand some things. It's time for us to evolve in this society. Hoffa and Hall are doing this and have been for a while. There is a war on workers and its real bad.

Ron Carey lives on

ORION is a disconnect to our customers, and it is tactical for replacement workers. Two big reasons we won the 97 strike was customers and competition couldn't handle our volume. ARTICLE 6, ARTICLE 6, ARTICLE 6 enforce it

Sent using BrownCafe App

Irishman Collins

View attachment 46592
Did you just wake up in 2015 from 1953? This country isn't pro union anymore. Remember back in 1997? The support. The donuts that other members from other unions would bring us on the Picket lines? The show of support? It's not the same anymore. Right to work is in so many more states now. Bush was in Office for 8 years. Republican governors are wreaking havoc on labor. This country's dynamic has changed. Unions aren't considered good anymore. The UAW really messed up our good name. Your post is mostly off base but it seems like you are starting to understand some things. It's time for us to evolve in this society. Hoffa and Hall are doing this and have been for a while. There is a war on workers and its real bad.
Yes, all those things are true as well. It is going to take a "new" kind of leader to get us out of this mess. Obviously doing things the same way is not working. We need "real" reform in the marble palace. Leaders such as Jimmy Hoffa Sr, John Kennedy, Andrew Jackson and Theodore Roosevelt, just to name a few. To keep our standard operating procedures IS NOT WORKING.

Yes, all those things are true as well. It is going to take a "new" kind of leader to get us out of this mess. Obviously doing things the same way is not working. We need "real" reform in the marble palace. Leaders such as Jimmy Hoffa Sr, John Kennedy, Andrew Jackson and Theodore Roosevelt, just to name a few. To keep our standard operating procedures IS NOT WORKING.
I disagree.

HBGPreloader

Regardless of who is in charge, we are the union. And, it's totally up to us to decide if the union has any power with UPS.
Sadly though, based upon the last contract vote and general member apathy, UPS will do what it wants and we will get (CENSORED).

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
Didn't UPS put like $6 billion into the central states when they pulled out?

What a freaking disaster.

And the Old Guard cheerleaders on here blame the demise of the CS Pension on Carey raising CS pension payouts in the 90's.

I see only one way out.

They gotta cut payouts.

This will happen to every pension plan out there eventually.

They are all ponzi schemes.

If the Teamsters are to stay viable, we need to start negotiating a different retirement plan that if for you and you only.

Maybe like a 401K with a 15% company match.

Just not a traditional pension plan that is destined to fail eventually.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
When I saw the title of this thread, I assumed it was "Integrity".

Do you want to know the truth about our Union?

Do tell. :biggrin:

Everyone is entitled to rant on the internet.

Our International is virtually powerless against UPS. UPS has "all" the leverage.

Well, being that TDU is so adamant about posting vote results.... (by Local)

Is it any wonder, where UPS gets it's "contractual ammunition" ?

Our Union could never afford a strike or lock out in today's culture and economics.

Really ?

UPS members would fold, before the IBT.

Next, the Central States Pension and Health and Welfare which at one time gave our Union great power and strength. Is now our demise. Our Union has to give into UPS'S demands at contract time in order to save Central States. If Central States goes completely under so will our Union. This will cause multiple decertifications and discontent from its members.

I'm trying to understand your point of speculation.

But hey.... it's your thread and your rant.

It is time for real reform and new ways of thinking before it is to late.

This is starting to sound like an endorsement for TDU candidates.

The "new" old guard slate to the best of my knowledge has not addressed what it plans to do about Central States to date.

I stand corrected.

You have "read between the lines" and realized....

The reformers have no answers.

They want to be re-elected (in their Local), and not drive a truck.. ever again.

-Bug-

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
View attachment 46592
...and I disagree with you and I'll tell you why.

I believe this country's front line workers are ready for the "pendulum to swing back" to center in regards to organized labor.
All of the things that you have sighted did and are happening, but you forgot to mention things like the push for a higher minimum wage in many areas, the occupy movement, etc.
While big business and their pundits in state and federal government are certainly trying to tear down what is left of unions and their rights to collective bargaining, I believe the masses are becoming painfully aware of corporate greed and the inequity in the distribution of wealth in this country.

If the public perception of unions has changed, we need to change it back, as it was done in '97 by a charismatic leader, who brought a real and viable message to America, and they bought in.
That strike wasn't instantly popular, it was sold to America.

While as UPSer's, we are hardly in dire straights, but many other Teamsters are.
In '97, I'm sure most freight drivers would not have been able to comprehend what has happened to their industry, nor would they have thought it was possible.
Yet here we are?

I took from Irishman's post that we need to start looking for a new leader who can sell a message for a new era in organized labor.
Whoever wins next year must embrace this mindset.
Whether it be Hoffa and Hall reinventing themselves, or a new candidate who steps up:

WE MUST SAY NO TO THE STATUS QUO!!!

5habits100

I believe this country's front line workers are ready for the "pendulum to swing back" to center in regards to organized labor.
All of the things that you have sighted did and are happening, but you forgot to mention things like the push for a higher minimum wage in many areas, the occupy movement, etc.
While big business and their pundits in state and federal government are certainly trying to tear down what is left of unions and their rights to collective bargaining, I believe the masses are becoming painfully aware of corporate greed and the inequity in the distribution of wealth in this country.

If the public perception of unions has changed, we need to change it back, as it was done in '97 by a charismatic leader, who brought a real and viable message to America, and they bought in.

While as UPSer's, we are hardly in dire straights, but many other Teamsters are.
In '97, I'm sure most freight drivers would not have been able to comprehend what has happened to their industry, nor would they have thought it was possible.
Yet here we are?

I took from Irishman's post that we need to start looking for a new leader who can sell a message for a new era in organized labor.
Whether it be Hoffa and Hall reinventing themselves, or a new candidate who steps up:

Im speachless

5habits100

Yet here we are?

No seriously, what we need is for people to get involved. If it is going to a meeting or a rally, whatever, not enough people care until it affects them. The public perception is the way it is because the vast majority don't care who are actually in a union. Soccer is this weekend and they can't make it. When people get involved and actually vote, change will happen. That's my short version.

Irishman Collins

No seriously, what we need is for people to get involved. If it is going to a meeting or a rally, whatever, not enough people care until it affects them. The public perception is the way it is because the vast majority don't care who are actually in a union. Soccer is this weekend and they can't make it. When people get involved and actually vote, change will happen. That's my short version.
It amazes me how intelligent you can sound on one hand and then turnaround and post something so ridiculous! It takes a charismatic, powerful speaking leader to get people fired up again about labor rights and anti Union government politicians. We Need a man to get in front of the public and proudly proclaim, " We are back America ". Not a career politician who is attached to puppet strings held by Central States, Corporate America and Political agendas!

5habits100

It amazes me how intelligent you can sound on one hand and then turnaround and post something so ridiculous! It takes a charismatic, powerful speaking leader to get people fired up again about labor rights and anti Union government politicians. We Need a man to get in front of the public and proudly proclaim, " We are back America ". Not a career politician who is attached to puppet strings held by Central States, Corporate America and Political agendas!
It is only rediculous to you because you don't like what I write. Get over it.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Didn't UPS put like $6 billion into the central states when they pulled out?

What a freaking disaster.

And the Old Guard cheerleaders on here blame the demise of the CS Pension on Carey raising CS pension payouts in the 90's.

I see only one way out.

They gotta cut payouts.

This will happen to every pension plan out there eventually.

They are all ponzi schemes.

If the Teamsters are to stay viable, we need to start negotiating a different retirement plan that if for you and you only.

Maybe like a 401K with a 15% company match.

Just not a traditional pension plan that is destined to fail eventually.
I agree with you with an additional step. the teamsters need to cut their operating expenses and salaries too. everyone needs to go on a diet.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
1. I agree with the OP but I don't see any change soon. somewhat like our political system. we are starving for a real leader.

2. most members " CANT HANDLE THE TRUTH" or don't want to . they keep their heads in the sand and hope for the best.

3. I think the best way for a REAL leader in the IBT to emerge is to give more autonomy to each local, district , region. etc, instead of having the power from top to bottom, have the power from bottom to top.

this is how Hoffa sr. came to power , isn't it? he distinguished himself and separated himself from the pack.

4. Teamsters need to view their pensions like social security. just one basket of many. Pension, 401k, Ira's, Social Security, Stocks, Real estate, own business, and cash savings. that's common sense.

Irishman Collins

Because that is what he does. He doesn't realize everyone doesn't agree with him. Hall keeps getting elected for a reason. The majority like what he has done for the members.
Omg, tell us the one about the one legged elephant! Hall doing good by the members. Hmm.....let me see, an additional year of progression for part timers, reduced benefits for a large portion of the country, allowing technology that eliminates jobs. Should I go on? Do you also know the one about the bald hooker?