The Ultimate "Why Orion Is A Failure" thread......

a911scanner

As I said on the UPSERS site:

Most pickups are NOT on-demand, therefore, put the pick-ups back at the end of the delivery order, not programmed in near a close resi.

We are told on a daily basis to "back only when necessary" Therefore, remove the concept of "backing" from ORION.

i.e Don't plan on us to deliver a stop that is 3 houses in on Main St, back up to continue trace, then deliver another house that is 2 houses in from the next intersection on Main St. 4 hours later. 2 unnesscessary backs that ORION has created. Not an issue with RDO. And only a veteran driver will notice this and avoid the backs. A newer guy might be put in a situation to have an "incident" with this logic.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
I have a new Onroad that has come to the building to 'Make Changes" ,and "Whip People into shape" .I am expecting a 3 day ride and when I get it I plan to follow orion as close to 100% as I can.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Orion sucks because they tried to reinvent the wheel instead of modifying the existing wheel.

Work with RDO to fine tune it. You could still cut miles and run the route efficiently.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
In the video, the "creator" uses an example of driving by 3 stops that might save 1/2 a mile to deliver now, but cost 30 minutes later. I call bs on that. I understand the concept of saving some stuff that you could do now for later, because it can make you have to break off to go and do pick ups, or finish businesses, etc. before you are done with an area, and then have to drive back later to finish the area you left. I already have to make those decisions to get air and businesses done on time, and Orion doesn't take either air stops or businesses into account, as far as I can tell. If it does, it does a terrible job.

Orion has me breaking off of areas multiple times a day, to go do random crap in other areas for no reason, costing time and miles. Even if pick ups are scheduled at the right times, which they never are, it can't figure those things out. The reports tell me I drove 5 miles more than Orion says I should have, but if I had followed Orion, it would have actually added ten miles to what I did. It seems to be pulling figures out of thin air, with no basis in reality.

It also can't account for any delays, or for things going faster than usual. If dynamic orion is supposed to be the answer to that, and it will be rearranging my stops all day long, I will have no choice but to follow what it says, because I won't be able to keep track of what stops I have anymore.

I love how he talks about opposition to innovation as if it is always unwarranted. Well, guess what, sometimes new ideas aren't innovative, sometimes they are just really overcomplicated, and don't actually make anything better. How many times did he talk about almost giving up? If only.

Overpaid Union Thug

In the video, the "creator" uses an example of driving by 3 stops that might save 1/2 a mile to deliver now, but cost 30 minutes later. I call bs on that. I understand the concept of saving some stuff that you could do now for later, because it can make you have to break off to go and do pick ups, or finish businesses, etc. before you are done with an area, and then have to drive back later to finish the area you left. I already have to make those decisions to get air and businesses done on time, and Orion doesn't take either air stops or businesses into account, as far as I can tell. If it does, it does a terrible job.

Orion has me breaking off of areas multiple times a day, to go do random crap in other areas for no reason, costing time and miles. Even if pick ups are scheduled at the right times, which they never are, it can't figure those things out. The reports tell me I drove 5 miles more than Orion says I should have, but if I had followed Orion, it would have actually added ten miles to what I did. It seems to be pulling figures out of thin air, with no basis in reality.

It also can't account for any delays, or for things going faster than usual. If dynamic orion is supposed to be the answer to that, and it will be rearranging my stops all day long, I will have no choice but to follow what it says, because I won't be able to keep track of what stops I have anymore.

I love how he talks about opposition to innovation as if it is always unwarranted. Well, guess what, sometimes new ideas aren't innovative, sometimes they are just really overcomplicated, and don't actually make anything better. How many times did he talk about almost giving up? If only.

Its like anything else new at UPS. It’s sold (sales pitch) to, and tested by, people with zero to not enough time in a package car. DIADS, uniforms, routing software, dispatch software, etc are all severely flawed for that reason.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I have been studying Orion on my route since it was forced on me. Here are the failures I have found. Feel free to add anything I might have missed.
Orion builds my route around scheduled "smart" pickups = Dumb.
It wants me to deliver stops around a pickup that canceled itself out of diad.
Orion "creates" stops to pad time. Example. I have a pickup at 11am. It needs a certain amount of stops so it can lead me up to delivering in the area by the 11am pickup. If there are not enough stops that day before the pickup, it either splits 1 address up into 2 or has me driving to another area for a certain amount of stops, then back to trace. It has split one address into 4 different stops. 4 identical boxes each as separate stop. It has also "added" a suite letter to a single building address. Example: 4015 Main st. becomes 4015 and 4015A Main st. It will also create 3 stops by having me deliver Air, go do 20 stops, then deliver saver,leave area, then deliver ground when I go for the scheduled pickup.
It does not honor the committed scheduled pickup time and will want me to pickup a 5pm pickup at 10am so it can have me deliver and pickup in the same area.
Orion will "overwrite" a package label. Example. Shipping label clearly says 4600 Oak Street, Suite A. It will assign it as 4600B Oak street., complete with the 3 names for suite B and not A. I am not sure why it does this almost every day but I'm sure it has to do with the stop padding.
Orion thinks addresses on the opposite site of the freeway are close to each other and will want me to cross back and forth as well as wanting me to deliver stops that are located back to back but I would have to drive 2 miles to go around to get to it. I tried to get this fixed, but apparently it cannot be done. Ok, what else have I missed??
you lost me at i have been studying orion

lol who freaking cares

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
They are missing the most important pockets on the vests and jackets. Now we have to dig info notices and pens out of deep inner pockets or constantly unzip pockets.

I can work around the pocket issues. I like the reflective strips on everything. Now I don't have to be wearing a jacket or safety vest to be visible at night. And the new windbreaker/rain jacket thing is pretty nice.

I hate the high waisted pants. I wore them just above my hips, where I always wear my pants, not up by my armpits like a Brewmeister. That put the crotch down near my knees, which is why they always rip out. I'm hoping the new ones don't have the same issue.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
I can work around the pocket issues. I like the reflective strips on everything. Now I don't have to be wearing a jacket or safety vest to be visible at night.
Still not good enough for yard procedures apparently. Someone pulled me in the office a few months ago because I was wearing a jacket without a vest. I pointed to the reflective material on the jacket and they said I still had to wear a vest.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Still not good enough for yard procedures apparently. Someone pulled me in the office a few months ago because I was wearing a jacket without a vest. I pointed to the reflective material on the jacket and they said I still had to wear a vest.

That's what's wrong with corporate safety culture. They had us watch Mike Rowe's "Safety 3rd" video. Clearly it went over their heads.

Whither

Scofflaw
That's what's wrong with corporate safety culture. They had us watch Mike Rowe's "Safety 3rd" video. Clearly it went over their heads.

Haha, exactly. In pkg it's up to us all day long to ensure we make safe choices, are seen, and don't get struck by vehicles when on foot. But god forbid you unload your air not wearing a safety vest! Wanton disregard for your personal safety!

We know the reason for these rules, though. The legal illusion of safety.

Overpaid Union Thug

Haha, exactly. In pkg it's up to us all day long to ensure we make safe choices, are seen, and don't get struck by vehicles when on foot. But god forbid you unload your air not wearing a safety vest! Wanton disregard for your personal safety!

We know the reason for these rules, though. The legal illusion of safety.
Which is why they insist we wear those damn things all the way to our first stop and from the last stop back to the center.