The UPS Strike, 20 Years Later

542thruNthru

So, when a slacker runs a 8.5 sporh on a route everyone else in the center could easily run at least a 12 on, even blind, and puts my group overallowed in the toilet thereby kicking me in the nuts, figuratively speaking, you're saying it would be totally fine for me to literally kick him in the nuts?

Violence is not the solution.

Wonder how much the local had to fork over to the scab? That's gotta sting.

I'd gladly agree to that if we can do the same thing. So when you kick me in the nuts with a bad dispatch or horrible split because you had to cut cars. I get to kick you in the nuts.

I think the world would be a better place if an eye for and eye was a regular thing. :)

brownIEman

I'd gladly agree to that if we can do the same thing. So when you kick me in the nuts with a bad dispatch or horrible split because you had to cut cars. I get to kick you in the nuts.

I think the world would be a better place if an eye for and eye was a regular thing. :)

Not the same thing at all. A bad dispatch does not kick you in the nuts.

It gets you more money! :)

brownIEman

Agree to disagree. Your analogy wasn't the same as someone crossing a picket line either, but hey I went with it. :)

Actually, was just joking about my example but now that I think about it -
The scab weakens the Union position and could threaten Union gains, potentially reducing Union members ability to support their families. Now one scab is not going to make a change but a ton would so while violence cannot be condoned I understand the angst you feel toward scabs.
The slacker in my example is similar. While one will have little effect, they increase costs and reduce company profits, so enough of them would indeed reduce supervisors compensation and reduce their ability to support their families. Not to mention screwing up the ability to make a decent center dispatch thereby forcing management to improvise in order to make service. (Which often involves kicking the descent drivers such as yourself (I'm assuming) in the cashews.)

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Actually, was just joking about my example but now that I think about it -
The scab weakens the Union position and could threaten Union gains, potentially reducing Union members ability to support their families. Now one scab is not going to make a change but a ton would so while violence cannot be condoned I understand the angst you feel toward scabs.
The slacker in my example is similar. While one will have little effect, they increase costs and reduce company profits, so enough of them would indeed reduce supervisors compensation and reduce their ability to support their families. Not to mention screwing up the ability to make a decent center dispatch thereby forcing management to improvise in order to make service. (Which often involves kicking the descent drivers such as yourself (I'm assuming) in the cashews.)
There is one big difference between a "scab" and a so-called "slacker".

A scab is well defined within the union arena, while a "slacker" is an arbitrarily conceived label, especially within the make believe, grossly inequitable world of UPS metrics, that routinely and artificially skewed in order to manipulate an employee to chase the unattainable.

I was recently involved with a grievance alleging discrimination with a disqualified driver.
The center manager continually sited "sub-par" production numbers, so I asked him what percentage of my 200+ drivers group ran "scratch" or better on a daily basis?
His answer was "about 18%".

That's all I need to know.
Guess 82% of us are "slackers"???

....not hardly.

brownIEman

There is one big difference between a "scab" and a so-called "slacker".

A scab is well defined within the union arena, while a "slacker" is an arbitrarily conceived label, especially within the make believe, grossly inequitable world of UPS metrics, that routinely and artificially skewed in order to manipulate an employee to chase the unattainable.

I was recently involved with a grievance alleging discrimination with a disqualified driver.
The center manager continually sited "sub-par" production numbers, so I asked him what percentage of my 200+ drivers group ran "scratch" or better on a daily basis?
His answer was "about 18%".

That's all I need to know.
Guess 82% of us are "slackers"???

....not hardly.

I agree with some of your points. Which is why in my example I defined the terms of a slacker. You of course would not recognize my definition as the Union fights tooth and nail to defend slackers as there is financial incentive for the Union for the work force to work as slowly as possible. I understand that (don't respect it, but I understand it).

In your example, you may have heard all you need to know, but I haven't. You're focusing on just as much irrelevant information as your management team is. Who cares how many drivers are scratch in your building? What I would ask is how is this guy running compared to other trainees on the same training route dispatched at the same level? What were his methods like when the sups did observations on him on days 7, 10, 15? ( It's been awhile, can't remember the exact days in the packet). Was he still driving in circles after day 5? If so, and he's running 3 hours over when the next worse trainee was at most 1.5 over the same time on the same route then he probably sucks and should not be a driver. And even in that case you and the Union would fight tooth and nail for him because of your financial interest in having slacker drivers on payroll. Like I said, I get it, and if your management team is weak enough to allow that, it's on them.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I agree with some of your points. Which is why in my example I defined the terms of a slacker.
Actually, was just joking about my example
Your "example" was absurd and declared a "joke" and I agree.
You of course would not recognize my definition as the Union fights tooth and nail to defend slackers as there is financial incentive for the Union for the work force to work as slowly as possible. I understand that (don't respect it, but I understand it).
The Union fights for all members equally, as we are duty bound, by law, to do just that?
The Union also realizes the necessity for the Company to be profitable in order to negotiate good contracts for all members.
Not sure what incentive there is to defend "slackers", over and above what is legally required.

Perhaps you need to accept the ineptitude of the operations you worked in, and the feebleness of those labor departments, who were unable to make "your" cases against these "slackers" stick?
In your example, you may have heard all you need to know, but I haven't. You're focusing on just as much irrelevant information as your management team is. Who cares how many drivers are scratch in your building?
Irrelevant???...allowances are irrelevant, really???

Isn't that the same "irrelevant" criteria the "chosen 18%" are compensated over and above on in bonus centers?
Isn't that the criteria that plays a role in management MIP bonuses?

It was for sure the criteria this trainee was held to, when he failed to "scratch" the route...and is for sure why he found himself back in the night sort again, after 9 years with the Company.
What I would ask is how is this guy running compared to other trainees on the same training route dispatched at the same level? What were his methods like when the sups did observations on him on days 7, 10, 15? ( It's been awhile, can't remember the exact days in the packet). Was he still driving in circles after day 5? If so, and he's running 3 hours over when the next worse trainee was at most 1.5 over the same time on the same route then he probably sucks and should not be a driver.
That certainly sounds reasonable, had the route been an established "training route".
Instead we are talking about a route that was vacated by a 35 year driver in my loop, who retired weeks prior to this trainee being assigned to it.
This retired driver (like every other driver in the 4 car loop) was routinely 1.5-2 hours over allowed every day for a decade.
And even in that case you and the Union would fight tooth and nail for him because of your financial interest in having slacker drivers on payroll.
"and" is a conjunction and should never start a sentence, which is why it looked so ridiculous capitalized.

That being said, you normally come off as fairly objective, but this "slacker theory" of your's stinks of your professional failures as a manager, aside from disqualifying trainees.

How many drivers got over on you, due to your inability to do the work and build a solid case on these "slackers"?
Is that why you tapped out?
Like I said, I get it, and if your management team is weak enough to allow that, it's on them.
I don't know if you can see it now?...but you don't "get it".

Because while you say "it's on" my "weak management team", the reality is the weight is squarely on the unjustly disqualified, 9 year part time sort employee, who found himself on the outside looking back in for the next opportunity to be arbitrarily judged by the next center manager.

Last edited:

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Memories from the strike...
-Pepsi drivers stopping by every day with free drinks

-Random people bringing food and encouragement.

-Picket duty at 11 P.M. was like a tailgate party every night.

-Rats come out at night and the guy next to me chased one down and stomped.

-Then steward (now retired) stopping every truck to inspect...UPS would send empties out to pretend they were making service.

-B.A. driving in front of every UPS semi as they exited the freeway...Trapped behind him, no way to pass, 2 MPH.

-Many drivers blocked package cars in at del stops.

-Laughing (and cat calls) at sweat laden sups and managers exiting the bldg after moving packages for 12 hours.

-Talked to a sup right before the strike and he asked me how long I could hold out... I said 4 or 5 years before I would have to touch my savings...Other carriers were hiring as many UPSers as they could for the duration of the strike. So, many of us were working and pulling strike duty.

-Utter astonishment at the complete mess inside the bldg after it ended. They had completed the equivalent of 1 day of delivery in 15 days. Piles of boxes everywhere.

Maybe in your building, but here it was completely different.

I call B/S on you could have held out for 5 years unless you had a sugar momma 20 years ago. The company should have held out another week and it would have broken the teamsters.

You you and other "good" union brothers and sisters took side jobs to support yourselves and those jobs were taken away from other union employee's like electricians, painters, construction, delivery drivers..just to name a few. The union conveniently looked the other way why you did it, I know cause they did it here.

Several teamsters got themselves arrested here for doing the same crap you listed above, I could go on but I think you get the point.

Maybe in your building, but here it was completely different.

I call B/S on you could have held out for 5 years unless you had a sugar momma 20 years ago. The company should have held out another week and it would have broken the teamsters.

You you and other "good" union brothers and sisters took side jobs to support yourselves and those jobs were taken away from other union employee's like electricians, painters, construction, delivery drivers..just to name a few. The union conveniently looked the other way why you did it, I know cause they did it here.

Several teamsters got themselves arrested here for doing the same crap you listed above, I could go on but I think you get the point.
The company has shareholders this time and they won't tolerate a non contract

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I worked for Emery freight the last day of the strike. I didn't "take" a job from a fellow union member. Due to the extra work because of the strike, they were swamped with volume over and above their normal amount.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
I worked for Emery freight the last day of the strike. I didn't "take" a job from a fellow union member. Due to the extra work because of the strike, they were swamped with volume over and above their normal amount.

You had a union job...you were on strike, why take a job from someone else who may have needed it more than you. You had a big savings account to lean on...remember.

Sorry they were swamped and that made it ok.

I could go on put it proved my point from the first post.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
The company has shareholders this time and they won't tolerate a non contract
What is your logic for this assertion?
The BOD makes decisions based on a fiduciary responsibility to the shareholders.
The question to me is whether the BOD looks out for the ROI in the short-term or the long-term.
50% of UPS 'voting' shares are controlled by the UPS Management Committee and ex-UPSers ... not the Board.
If UPS breaks the Union, UPS will most likely fall off the S&P 500 Index in the short-term.
My guess is that you are correct ... UPS Management Committee members and the BOD for that matter don't have the balls or the appetite to look 10 years down the road.

brownIEman

The Union fights for all members equally, as we are duty bound, by law, to do just that?
The Union also realizes the necessity for the Company to be profitable in order to negotiate good contracts for all members.
Not sure what incentive there is to defend "slackers", over and above what is legally required.

Sadly, the example was not that absurd, as there were just such slackers in the center I worked in. I heard one was fired after I left but came back, and one wound up killing someone after I left. To be sure, such slackers are the exception, but they exist and the pathological way in which so many posters on this site deny their existence does get under my skin I will admit.

The incentive for the union is easy to understand. The slower each member of a workforce goes, the more members are needed to get the work done, therefor the more dues paid to the union. Simple finance.

As to profitability, yes, the union gives lip service to the idea that it wants the company to make a profit. But it is pure lip service

Perhaps you need to accept the ineptitude of the operations you worked in, and the feebleness of those labor departments, who were unable to make "your" cases against these "slackers" stick?

Oh, there was plenty of ineptitude in the operations I worked in, on both sides of the hourly/management divide. Some stellar talents as well.

Isn't that the same "irrelevant" criteria the "chosen 18%" are compensated over and above on in bonus centers?
Well of course the allowances are irrelevant. "My union does not recognize any production standards", isn't that the script?

In a word, no. That is not how MIP works.

It was for sure the criteria this trainee was held to, when he failed to "scratch" the route...and is for sure why he found himself back in the night sort again, after 9 years with the Company.

Two things here -
1 - You said the manager was concerned about his "sub-par" production numbers. Are you sure he only meant less than scratch as sub-par? I had trainees that were not running scratch regularly on training routes but doing a decent job comparatively, and I fought for them to qualify.
2 - your story of him going back to night after 9 years is a play on emotions and totally irrelevant. While it sucks for him, and I get that, I do, that has nothing to do with whether or not he is cut out to be a driver. I can only remember one FT driver trainee I was assigned that actually DQ'd. He worked nights, had been with the company about 7 years waiting for his shot I think. I did everything I could to try to help him be successful. We went out on a training route with about 6 hours worth of work. I made sure it stayed that way and would come in early to cut work off if the PDS skewed the route. I hand drew maps of the route to show him the sequence breaks and the side street naming conventions in the resi area. After just a few days he was out over 12 hours with 6 hours of work, and he DQ'd himself. Nice guy, it was heartbreaking and I felt horrible, but he was simply not cut out to be a driver, and I had mad respect for him that he recognized it. "This job is not for everyone" is a term that gets thrown around a bunch in regards to UPS driving. I really get the feeling that when union types such as yourself say it, you are only paying it lip service, the attitude among most here is that when your turn comes up in seniority, that is it, you should just become a driver. My impression is when a union rep says "this job is not for everyone" it is just lip service, much like
the "we want the company to make a profit" bit.

That certainly sounds reasonable, had the route been an established "training route".
Instead we are talking about a route that was vacated by a 35 year driver in my loop, who retired weeks prior to this trainee being assigned to it.
This retired driver (like every other driver in the 4 car loop) was routinely 1.5-2 hours over allowed every day for a decade.

Did they designate the route as a training route after the 35yr guy retired? In our district we could do so. What is more important to me is did they dispatch it correctly as a training route? Also, if your 35 year guy was routinely 1.5-2 hours over, why was that? Was he a poor driver? (yes, that is possible). How did the cover drivers do when he was on vacation? Were they all 1.5 -2 over, or did most of them run nearer scratch? What was this trainees over? If the vet ran 1.5-2 over and your trainee was still 3+ over after day 20, then I'm going to have to be on your center managers side on this one.

"and" is a conjunction and should never start a sentence, which is why it looked so ridiculous capitalized.
Fair enough, point to you grammar nazi.

That being said, you normally come off as fairly objective, but this "slacker theory" of your's stinks of your professional failures as a manager, aside from disqualifying trainees.

How many drivers got over on you, due to your inability to do the work and build a solid case on these "slackers"?

I was not the weakest of supervisors in my operations, but I was certainly not a really strong operator. I was way too soft on hourlies to ever be considered a strong operator. I preferred to resolve issues without conflict and tried to see the best in everyone I worked with. I fought with my superiors defending my employees more often than I ever fought with my direct reports. So there may be some truth to your theory. As to my ability to do the work and build a solid "case" on the slackers I admit I never really tried (although I doubt any case would have been solid enough with our labor dept). See, I never tried to build a "case" to fire anyone. I always looked at any termination as a failure on the part of management. So I merely tried to work with the slackers in my group to make them better. I was successful with some. With others I was marginally successful but only temporarily and they would back slide. With some I was a dismal failure. It is what it is.

I can say without reservation that all of that had no bearing on my tapping out. My tapping out was due solely to family obligation. Although I freely admit not having to deal with any of that crap for the rest of my life did have a bearing on my last day being just that much more joyous.

Because while you say "it's on" my "weak management team", the reality is the weight is squarely on the unjustly disqualified, 9 year part time sort employee, who found himself on the outside looking back in for the next opportunity to be arbitrarily judged by the next center manager.

I get it. I am not sure you do. Remember, the qualifying probation period is the one period UPS owns, so to speak. It is the one period where UPS can
DQ someone for almost any reason and it is more incumbent on you as this employees representative to build a case as to why he should not be DQ'd.
You have not done that in this case IMO.

Here again you make the emotional argument. I will give you that one. Emotionally, I feel for the guy, I really do,
but his years of service and being sent back to PT, as badly as it sucks, has absolutely no place in making a case that he should not have been DQ'd. Do you
get that?

Last edited:

Never Again!

Can anyone give me any input on this Please! I'm working out of the Fort Worth Independence Hub as a seasonal delivery helper. HR orientation
stated we will get OT after 5 hours + per day. My check varies Total hours on one: 41.76, states regular hours 36.42 and OT 5.34 shouldn't I have 11.76 OT? How do they figure the OT? Also each of my "Green Time sheet the driver gives me, the time I write is not the time on UPS Time viewer. What can I do to have both corrected?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Can anyone give me any input on this Please! I'm working out of the Fort Worth Independence Hub as a seasonal delivery helper. HR orientation
stated we will get OT after 5 hours + per day. My check varies Total hours on one: 41.76, states regular hours 36.42 and OT 5.34 shouldn't I have 11.76 OT? How do they figure the OT? Also each of my "Green Time sheet the driver gives me, the time I write is not the time on UPS Time viewer. What can I do to have both corrected?

There is nothing to correct-----helpers get OT after 8 hours, not 5.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
So, when a slacker runs a 8.5 sporh on a route everyone else in the center could easily run at least a 12 on, even blind, and puts my group overallowed in the toilet thereby kicking me in the nuts, figuratively speaking, you're saying it would be totally fine for me to literally kick him in the nuts?

Violence is not the solution.

Wonder how much the local had to fork over to the scab? That's gotta sting.
Only if you’re prepared to get kicked in the nuts for stupid dispatch decisions. But that might be daily from multiple drivers.
“Thanks for the add/cut!”
60DDBFDF-13EE-4C2B-B072-4D6E242B6978.gif

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Sadly, the example was not that absurd, as there were just such slackers in the center I worked in. I heard one was fired after I left but came back, and one wound up killing someone after I left. To be sure, such slackers are the exception, but they exist and the pathological way in which so many posters on this site deny their existence does get under my skin I will admit.

The incentive for the union is easy to understand. The slower each member of a workforce goes, the more members are needed to get the work done, therefor the more dues paid to the union. Simple finance.

As to profitability, yes, the union gives lip service to the idea that it wants the company to make a profit. But it is pure lip service

Oh, there was plenty of ineptitude in the operations I worked in, on both sides of the hourly/management divide. Some stellar talents as well.

Well of course the allowances are irrelevant. "My union does not recognize any production standards", isn't that the script?

In a word, no. That is not how MIP works.

Two things here -
1 - You said the manager was concerned about his "sub-par" production numbers. Are you sure he only meant less than scratch as sub-par? I had trainees that were not running scratch regularly on training routes but doing a decent job comparatively, and I fought for them to qualify.
2 - your story of him going back to night after 9 years is a play on emotions and totally irrelevant. While it sucks for him, and I get that, I do, that has nothing to do with whether or not he is cut out to be a driver. I can only remember one FT driver trainee I was assigned that actually DQ'd. He worked nights, had been with the company about 7 years waiting for his shot I think. I did everything I could to try to help him be successful. We went out on a training route with about 6 hours worth of work. I made sure it stayed that way and would come in early to cut work off if the PDS skewed the route. I hand drew maps of the route to show him the sequence breaks and the side street naming conventions in the resi area. After just a few days he was out over 12 hours with 6 hours of work, and he DQ'd himself. Nice guy, it was heartbreaking and I felt horrible, but he was simply not cut out to be a driver, and I had mad respect for him that he recognized it. "This job is not for everyone" is a term that gets thrown around a bunch in regards to UPS driving. I really get the feeling that when union types such as yourself say it, you are only paying it lip service, the attitude among most here is that when your turn comes up in seniority, that is it, you should just become a driver. My impression is when a union rep says "this job is not for everyone" it is just lip service, much like
the "we want the company to make a profit" bit.

Did they designate the route as a training route after the 35yr guy retired? In our district we could do so. What is more important to me is did they dispatch it correctly as a training route? Also, if your 35 year guy was routinely 1.5-2 hours over, why was that? Was he a poor driver? (yes, that is possible). How did the cover drivers do when he was on vacation? Were they all 1.5 -2 over, or did most of them run nearer scratch? What was this trainees over? If the vet ran 1.5-2 over and your trainee was still 3+ over after day 20, then I'm going to have to be on your center managers side on this one.

Fair enough, point to you grammar nazi.

I was not the weakest of supervisors in my operations, but I was certainly not a really strong operator. I was way too soft on hourlies to ever be considered a strong operator. I preferred to resolve issues without conflict and tried to see the best in everyone I worked with. I fought with my superiors defending my employees more often than I ever fought with my direct reports. So there may be some truth to your theory. As to my ability to do the work and build a solid "case" on the slackers I admit I never really tried (although I doubt any case would have been solid enough with our labor dept). See, I never tried to build a "case" to fire anyone. I always looked at any termination as a failure on the part of management. So I merely tried to work with the slackers in my group to make them better. I was successful with some. With others I was marginally successful but only temporarily and they would back slide. With some I was a dismal failure. It is what it is.

I can say without reservation that all of that had no bearing on my tapping out. My tapping out was due solely to family obligation. Although I freely admit not having to deal with any of that crap for the rest of my life did have a bearing on my last day being just that much more joyous.

I get it. I am not sure you do. Remember, the qualifying probation period is the one period UPS owns, so to speak. It is the one period where UPS can
DQ someone for almost any reason and it is more incumbent on you as this employees representative to build a case as to why he should not be DQ'd.
You have not done that in this case IMO.

Here again you make the emotional argument. I will give you that one. Emotionally, I feel for the guy, I really do,
but his years of service and being sent back to PT, as badly as it sucks, has absolutely no place in making a case that he should not have been DQ'd. Do you
get that?[/QUOTE

for someone who doesn’t even work here anymore he definitely still is drinking the coolaid... interesting... they really must have brainwashed this guy...most people leave a job and never look back... sad

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
for someone who doesn’t even work here anymore he definitely still is drinking the coolaid... interesting... they really must have brainwashed this guy...most people leave a job and never look back... sad

I was thinking the same thing after reading his latest 3am novella, with the above quote rising to the top.
Wonder what drives his vigil here in the Union Forum and who he is trying to convince, us or himself?

I have always said, "a conscience is a terrible thing for a UPS supervisor".

Hopefully he can find the strength and courage to forgive himself and enjoy what's left of his retirement.

Last edited:

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
All of this rhetoric reminds me of a story of a 50+ year feeder driver in my building.
He was eating his meal in the break room one evening as I was passing through, while a small group gathered around him, one guy quizzing him as to why he doesn't retire.

He went on to detail a nasty divorce years prior, where he would have to give his ex wife half of his pension when he starts drawing it.
It was then he made the comment,

"I'll die behind the wheel before I ever give her another dime".

It was at this point that I couldn't help myself but to say, "then she's still kicking your ass, isn't she"?

Kind of sad to watch all of the pride wash from his face in that moment.
Poor bastard.