The UPS Strike, 20 Years Later

brownIEman

I was thinking the same thing after reading his latest 3am novella, with the above quote rising to the top.
Wonder what drives his vigil here in the Union Forum and who he is trying to convince, us or himself?

I have always said, "a conscience is a terrible thing for a UPS supervisor".

Hopefully he can find the strength and courage to forgive himself and enjoy what's left of his retirement.

Appreciate your concern.

I am still curious, what was the over allowed the trainee was running compared to others on the route and what was the result of your grievance hearing?

brownIEman

Maybe in your building, but here it was completely different.

I call B/S on you could have held out for 5 years unless you had a sugar momma 20 years ago. The company should have held out another week and it would have broken the teamsters.

You you and other "good" union brothers and sisters took side jobs to support yourselves and those jobs were taken away from other union employee's like electricians, painters, construction, delivery drivers..just to name a few. The union conveniently looked the other way why you did it, I know cause they did it here.

Several teamsters got themselves arrested here for doing the same crap you listed above, I could go on but I think you get the point.

I found his post enlightening and disturbing.
Especially the bit about his BA running in front of Feeders and dropping down to 2 mph. He claims the feeder manager that was killed in a freeway crash was not in his area and not his BA. However, his post is the first time in 20 years that I've heard a Union member admit they were engaging in that sort of inherently dangerous activity.
Certainly does not prove anything but it does lend some credence to the speculation about that crash and potential Union members involvement in it.

35years

Gravy route
Maybe in your building, but here it was completely different.

I call B/S on you could have held out for 5 years unless you had a sugar momma 20 years ago. The company should have held out another week and it would have broken the teamsters.

You you and other "good" union brothers and sisters took side jobs to support yourselves and those jobs were taken away from other union employee's like electricians, painters, construction, delivery drivers..just to name a few. The union conveniently looked the other way why you did it, I know cause they did it here.

Several teamsters got themselves arrested here for doing the same crap you listed above, I could go on but I think you get the point.
Typical management "calling BS" on a driver while knowing absolutely nothing about the situation. I could have easily gone 5 years working at another Teamster trucking firm. We were getting 8-9 hours driving and offered 3-4 hours of additional overtime inside moving the freight. It was about $5 less per hour.

The Teamsters Union themselves arranged the jobs at other Teamster shops...Yellow, Roadway, CF etc. etc. They all came to the locals asking for UPS drivers to work for the duration of our strike. They were not "looking the other way". They arranged the jobs. Any driver that wanted to work had a job waiting for him for the duration. We were filling the need, the stuff was going to move, just not by UPS. We were not "taking away Teamster jobs". We are Teamsters. The jobs were offered for the duration of the strike, no longer.

As to your assertion that the strike would have been broken in one more week..pure fantasy on your part. Typical of the arrogant attitude of UPS at the time, they thought we would never strike. There was great solidarity and virtually no one crossed (historians site 99% non-defection).

Last edited:

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Wish the strike would have lasted another week. The walleyes were biting up in Northern Wisconsin when the stike was settled and I had to rush home to work again.

35years

Gravy route
I found his post enlightening and disturbing.
Especially the bit about his BA running in front of Feeders and dropping down to 2 mph. He claims the feeder manager that was killed in a freeway crash was not in his area and not his BA. However, his post is the first time in 20 years that I've heard a Union member admit they were engaging in that sort of inherently dangerous activity.
Certainly does not prove anything but it does lend some credence to the speculation about that crash and potential Union members involvement in it.
By BA would get in front of the Scabs after they exited the freeway, not on the freeway or off ramp. The road that then leads to UPS is one lane in each direction and no-passing, with a center median. The feeder would start cross the intersection and then be trapped behind, never getting over 5 or so MPH. Nothing dangerous about it unless you consider driving at 2 MPH dangerous.

Last edited:

dudebro

So, when a slacker runs a 8.5 sporh on a route everyone else in the center could easily run at least a 12 on, even blind, and puts my group overallowed in the toilet thereby kicking me in the nuts, figuratively speaking, you're saying it would be totally fine for me to literally kick him in the nuts?

Violence is not the solution.

Wonder how much the local had to fork over to the scab? That's gotta sting.

Daf

It was also done to try and make the people on strike think things were moving as normal. If people though the strike wasn't hurting UPS they may have crossed or spoke up about ending the early
I agree.

We had members go and follow them. The didn't deliver anything. They just drove around. It was all to make us think that they were working.