Things you wish people knew about packages. . .

aspenleaf

• Paper thin boxes are not a good choice for shipping bowling balls or anything else.
  • More tape is always better! Always add one more piece after you think you have put on enough.
  • Please put the whole address (for the recipient) on the label. If they live in an apartment it is helpful to put that information on the label. Leaving the apartment off lets your friends know you are incompetent or really forgetful.
  • If you are shipping liquid and use the box with arrows make sure the liquid is in correctly. (I once had a box leak everywhere because I put the arrows up and the bottles were upside-down!)
  • Take the batteries (or turn off the toy) out of the object you ship! One day I heard a Tickle Me Elmo every time I stepped on the truck. “Ha Ha that tickles. . .”

david

Don't put the label across the seam in the top of the package. (when the box flexes, the lable will tear.)

Tape the bottom of the box!

Don't use compresed fonts, they are too hard to read.

local804

Attn PAS dept:

Please DO NOT cover the packages barcode with the pas label. Also DO NOT cover the cod amount. We understand there is no room on a 3 foot cube box and that you must place it directly on the barcode.
Thank you

moreluck

golden ticket member
Don't use brown grocery bags turned inside out to wrap a box and don't tie it with string. A neighbor brought over a pkg at Xmas for us to ship for him wrapped up like that. He's old, but I instructed him never to do that again.

Sammie

• Paper thin boxes are not a good choice for shipping bowling balls or anything else.
  • More tape is always better! Always add one more piece after you think you have put on enough.
  • Please put the whole address (for the recipient) on the label. If they live in an apartment it is helpful to put that information on the label. Leaving the apartment off lets your friends know you are incompetent or really forgetful.
  • If you are shipping liquid and use the box with arrows make sure the liquid is in correctly. (I once had a box leak everywhere because I put the arrows up and the bottles were upside-down!)
  • Take the batteries (or turn off the toy) out of the object you ship! One day I heard a Tickle Me Elmo every time I stepped on the truck. “Ha Ha that tickles. . .”

Also, there are still locations in the country where people don't have addresses!!

And we need phone numbers on those packages!!

The normal drivers that work these areas every day have the folks and their homes memorized but for someone like a vacation coverage driver, bad news for him.

Local governments across the country are replacing county road addresses with regular street addresses and during these confusing changes, a phone number for the receiver would really help the driver out.

I remember getting a call from a lady (some of these calls you just don't forget..) in a very tiny southern town who was waiting for her package. I asked what her address was. There were no addresses where she lived; she screamed that there was only one street in town and she lived down at the end in the pink house with the brown door. Like the entire world would know this.

Got another call from someone back east who lived in what used to be a very, very old mining community where some of the old huts still stood. Once again, no street name, no address. Come on people, if you have no address, can you help us out just a little??

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Do not use peanuts for fragile items..
Dont put 150 pds of stuff in a wrinkled up old box which has already outlived its life, and originally held beanie babies. More tape will not help. Tape does not make a box.
Spend the few extra bucks for your fragile items and double box. For very fragile items, build a crate.
DO NOT SHIP GRANDMA, OR GRANDPA, THEIR ASHES CANNOT BE REPLACED. Unless it is their wish, (which Im sure will be most of ours), to have their ashes spread on a UPS conveyor belt

upsdude

Don't use brown grocery bags turned inside out to wrap a box and don't tie it with string. A neighbor brought over a pkg at Xmas for us to ship for him wrapped up like that. He's old, but I instructed him never to do that again.

Gosh, moreluck's husband was in management so long he has her saying Instructed:w00t:

I still love ya though!:thumbup1:

DS

Fenderbender
I love the resi oncalls where they have 7 boxes going to one place with no addesses on any of them.I ask,how will the driver know where to deliver them?,they respond isn`t that
in the tracking number?aaarrrggghhh

aspenleaf

Dont put 150 pds of stuff in a wrinkled up old box which has already outlived its life, and originally held beanie babies. More tape will not help. Tape does not make a box.
Spend the few extra bucks for your fragile items and double box. For very fragile items, build a crate.
DO NOT SHIP GRANDMA, OR GRANDPA, THEIR ASHES CANNOT BE REPLACED. Unless it is their wish, (which Im sure will be most of ours), to have their ashes spread on a UPS conveyor belt

Tooner ~ it is my wish to have my ashes spread in the trucks I loaded. . .:tongue_sm

Overpaid Union Thug

I wish people knew that when they request something be shipped Next Day Air the shipper sometimes ships it out a day later than they expected. I was sent out early one morning to deliver an Early A.M. and when I approached the house it was to be delivered to the guy came out to intercept me and was yelling "Send it back! It's late! You guys were supposed to deliver that yesterday morning!" I'll use FedEx next time!" After calming him down I asked him when he ordered it and what time of the day. He said he placed the order "morning before last" so I called the center and had them track it and it showed as being shipped out the day after he had placed the order. This happens to me all of the time. For Air and Ground packages.

satellitedriver

Attn PAS dept:

Please DO NOT cover the packages barcode with the pas label. Also DO NOT cover the cod amount. We understand there is no room on a 3 foot cube box and that you must place it directly on the barcode.
Thank you
Ditto.
Try to peel it off of the cod amount, it ain't gonna happen. I sometimes wet the pas label and hold it in direct sunlight to try and read the cod amount.
The best part is that I have driven 20 miles to get to the stop and find out there is no way to determine the cod amount.
Maybe, I should look at my edd info and find all cod pkgs in my pkg car and determine if I know what to collect.
How about training the pas crew to never put the label on the same side of the pkg as the original label? Since the preloaders are trained not to look at the original label, it might save the trouble of calling in a tell the center manager that the pkg. can not be delivered.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Tooner ~ it is my wish to have my ashes spread in the trucks I loaded. . .:tongue_sm
See what I mean, we are all alike.!!!!!!!!.....................(I dont have those smiley emoticons, I wish I did, it would be the one with the circles going round my head.)

EAM_Master

Part-Time'er for Life!
I wish people knew that when they request something be shipped Next Day Air the shipper sometimes ships it out a day later than they expected. I was sent out early one morning to deliver an Early A.M. and when I approached the house it was to be delivered to the guy came out to intercept me and was yelling "Send it back! It's late! You guys were supposed to deliver that yesterday morning!" I'll use FedEx next time!" After calming him down I asked him when he ordered it and what time of the day. He said he placed the order "morning before last" so I called the center and had them track it and it showed as being shipped out the day after he had placed the order. This happens to me all of the time. For Air and Ground packages.

Been there many times......:lol:

satellitedriver

Ashes to ashes
Dust to dust.
From the filth/dust that builds up in the back of a pkg car, you can't tell if someone is coming or going.

diadlover

Cool thread, Aspen! I wish people wouldn't write the word "FRAGILE" all over their box. It isn't going to be treated any differently. IMO, it's just an invite for some $8.50 an hour smart-assed hubrat to pretend he's Roger Clemens and throw that "FRAGILE" box across the 50 footer he's unloading. I tell my friends and family, "do not write fragile on the box."

(btw, I was Randy Johnson)

satellitedriver

Don't put the label across the seam in the top of the package. (when the box flexes, the lable will tear.)

Tape the bottom of the box!

Don't use compresed fonts, they are too hard to read.
Tape on the bottom of the box is one of my pet peeves.
Used box ,
taped on the top that would take a Bowie knife to cut thru. The bottom of the box still has the original tape from 3 yrs ago.
Gravity dictates that all objects want to fall to the center of the Earth and they do.
Sadly, they fall out the bottom right when you pick the package to deliver it.

satellitedriver

Cool thread, Aspen! I wish people wouldn't write the word "FRAGILE" all over their box. It isn't going to be treated any differently. IMO, it's just an invite for some $8.50 an hour smart-assed hubrat to pretend he's Roger Clemens and throw that "FRAGILE" box across the 50 footer he's unloading. I tell my friends and family, "do not write fragile on the box."

(btw, I was Randy Johnson)
I thought "FRAGILE" was French for kick the $@*! out of it. Thanks for clearing that up for me.
PAX