Thinking of leaving UPS ?????

akaarinc

He has every reason to ne concerned and should always keep an eye out for something better. And yes we are in a financial mess but the reallity of it is some of us might not have a job in january. So by look outward but only leave as a last resort.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

He has every reason to ne concerned and should always keep an eye out for something better. And yes we are in a financial mess but the reallity of it is some of us might not have a job in january. So by look outward but only leave as a last resort.

You are right, he should keep an eye out for something better; however, as has been noted, there really isn't anything out there that is going to provide him with the wage, benefit and retirement package that he has here at UPS. You are also right in that layoffs seem a certainty come January. Layoffs don't necessarily mean you won't get called back.

On a side note, I would not be at all suprised if we start paying a portion of our health benefits and/or agree to wage concessions come 2013. Just my opinion.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
You are right, he should keep an eye out for something better; however, as has been noted, there really isn't anything out there that is going to provide him with the wage, benefit and retirement package that he has here at UPS. You are also right in that layoffs seem a certainty come January. Layoffs don't necessarily mean you won't get called back.

On a side note, I would not be at all suprised if we start paying a portion of our health benefits and/or agree to wage concessions come 2013. Just my opinion.

Ugh, I hope you are wrong, Dave.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Sounds to me like you're already full time. You need a better steward or better yet, go over his head to your BA or higher if need be.

Calling 705, where are you, 705? :happy2:
Sorry my hands are full here on my front. The new contract is in place and alot of problems with the raises etc.

Sounds to me like you're already full time. You need a better steward or better yet, go over his head to your BA or higher if need be.

Calling 705, where are you, 705? :happy2:

Obviously i feel like i am full time, and just about everyone that heres my circumstances agrees with me. My biggest issue is that the contract is not clear in this situation. In one section i can find info that supports my case. In a another section i can find info that hurts my case. When it comes right down to it, it does not spell out when a position needs to be considered full time.

This situation has existed for quite some time and i need to put a stop to it sooner rather then later. By keeping me at the tcd rate, it is saving Ups about $25,000 a year. I have been around long enough to know that i am going to have to force the issue with them, in order to get them to honor the contract. Best case scenario, i prove that i have been right all along, and get added to the list (hopefully with 3 years of back pay). Worse case scenario, i am in the same mess i have been for the past 3 1/2 years. Not much to loose.

I appreciate everyones help so far.

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
I have found that at UPS, all good things come to those who wait. I waited 18 years before I could go into feeders, and then had to go though 3.5 years of coverage work in feeders before I made the jump to full time.
Was it worth the wait? You betcha! Now I am where I want to be, and only have to make 13.5 years to retire.

evilleace

I think if you are worried about layoff look for other work in case that happens. If you are not worried don't look but UPS is a good company and $22 an hr. is GOOD money plus the benefits and in this economy that is hard to find and will soon be impossible so I think you should stay but if you are truly unhappy then leave there is no job worth being unhappy for.

satellitedriver

Thanks for the positive and helpfull responses of some of you. All the others can "eat :censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2:". Good thing there are blogs so you can talk :censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2: 1000's of miles away. Funny thing is if you knew me, you wouldnt look at me twice the wrong way. Go back home ******************
Anyway, are there any of you who havent passed your progression and the company really has no legit reason as to why ??? Lets hear it..
Define;
"look at me the wrong way".
One look at your post was enough for me.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
I am completely unclear as to why you feel you should be within progression as a utility driver. I just got my contract yesterday, so I will look, but methinks that you are being paid correctly and there isn't really any recourse other than getting paid all of the OT that your getting. I've been in your shoes. 60 hours and 6 days. I do what I have to for my wife and kids. I did that for almost 3 years. I've never even heard of progression starting as utility driver except if your an air driver. Top scale air takes 6 months progression from full time. I'll look into it though. I would say that you would be foolish to leave the beni's and the 22 bucks an hour. Won't find that anywhere else unless you have other prospects. My advice...stick it out and take some time off. You don't have to utility driver everyday. They can't make you and they have to call utility drivers by seniority anyway. If you can cover your tats, then I would do it if they make you. Wether your tatted or not doesn't matter to most people if your pleasant. Good Luck.

hdkappler

way the econmy is today the armendforces.i was in the navy 4 years,but times are different today.you sighn up 4years.don't have to worry about layoffs.free travel europe asia all over the world.i would of stayed in i would of been retired 20 years already.instead of 5years.don't have to pay union dues.you don't have a union to back you either.

I agree that utility drivers should not be in progression. My point is that if they were handling this on the up and up, they would have put me on the full time list several years ago (thus putting me in progression). Technically i am classified as a t.c.d. They have abused the use of the t.c.d. in the contract. As far as i can find there is no stipulation in the contract that says when a person must be moved from tcd to full time status, such as the number or reports, or the number of hours worked over a 6 month period. I am going to easily have over 200 reports as a driver this year. About the most a full time driver can have (depending on vacation time and when holidays fall) is some where in the 225-235 range.

I have been doing full time work for the past 18 months straight. Its not like i am just running routes at peak or during vacation times in the summer, they are using me year round. If that was the case i would totally understand it, and i would have no issues with it. Ups will not switch me to the full time list because ever year they can keep me listed as a t.c.d is another year they can keep me off of driver top rate ( saving them at least $25,000 a year).

All i know is that i am driving everyday (oct has been a little slow due to the economy). I bid my all of my time off on the drivers list, yet still receive my 20 hour preload pay check for my vacations, and 4 hours for my holidays. I gain an extra week of vacation time next year, and to be honest i don't want it if its going to be a 20 hour preload check. A week off with 35% pay isn't a vacation, its more like a suspension.

If and when they decided to put me on the full time list why should i have to go through progression?? Its not like i am going to be stumbling around out there like some rookie (which is pretty much the reason for progression in the first place) They have strung me along under the ploy of a t.c.d. for well over 3 years, i would like to think i have already served my time.