Third Qtr. Earnings Down, Prepare To Pay

FedExer267

FedEx cant even make Ground deliveries on time. Now I know there is no commit time for Ground however I do believe UPS has a deal where Ground makes it by the next day if it falls in a certain mileage area. We have all heard in the past where Ground holds trailers until they are full which is why it can take up to 3 days to deliver one bulk stop.
I went to a pickup a few weeks back and picked up their boxes, this shipment was going a grand total of about a hour and a half away. It took 3 days for the shipment to make it and the customer is not to happy. The shipper called FedEx and they said it was because of weather issues. Funny thing is it was sunny and warm all that week.
Needless to say the Customer is now shipping everything Express which is costing them more and like I said they are not happy about the extra costs of sending a box a hour away, they dropped a hint yesterday that they will be going to UPS to insure their boxes get there in a timely manner.

bbsam

Staff member
FedEx cant even make Ground deliveries on time. Now I know there is no commit time for Ground however I do believe UPS has a deal where Ground makes it by the next day if it falls in a certain mileage area. We have all heard in the past where Ground holds trailers until they are full which is why it can take up to 3 days to deliver one bulk stop.
I went to a pickup a few weeks back and picked up their boxes, this shipment was going a grand total of about a hour and a half away. It took 3 days for the shipment to make it and the customer is not to happy. The shipper called FedEx and they said it was because of weather issues. Funny thing is it was sunny and warm all that week.
Needless to say the Customer is now shipping everything Express which is costing them more and like I said they are not happy about the extra costs of sending a box a hour away, they dropped a hint yesterday that they will be going to UPS to insure their boxes get there in a timely manner.

We have all heard that Ground holds trailers? Where did you hear that? I think you are making thins up now. We have a traier that comes from Madison Wisconsin every day that is never more than 30% full. Or is this another rumor you read in your vast travels through the internet "facts"?

LTFedExer

If the customer feels he was lied to by FedEx Customer Service, why would he switch from Ground to Express and pay more to ship his packages? Why not switch to UPS to begin with? I would.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
You wish it were. There are probably more than a few Ground trailers that get held, and if FedEx delivers by the scheduled time, nobody should care.

That's right.

I'm sure the upper management isn't exactly anxious to ship 3/4 empty trailers with Ground packages that have no comittment times.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I'll ask again what I've asked in the past. Show me the proof. I doubt what he said actually happened.

I guess we could go down to the local Ground center and take a picture, but it's not worth the time. All I'm saying is that if FedEx holds them (the trucking companies do, so why not FedEx?) and it gets there "on time", which is "whenever it gets there" with Ground anyway, who cares? The Ground commitment times are a joke anyway. Just ask shippers.

FedExer267

If the customer feels he was lied to by FedEx Customer Service, why would he switch from Ground to Express and pay more to ship his packages? Why not switch to UPS to begin with? I would.
They are in the process of that now. However they have a pick up account with both Ground and Express so they are paying more until they start with UPS to insure their stuff gets there.

FedExer267

Because it's a fairy tale.

Yep it's a fairy tale can you bbsam explain to the class how a shipment of 20 boxes is going a hour and a half away basically one terminal over and not one box is there the next day. Now Customer Service are the ones that patched them through to the terminal and the terminal told them it was weather related when it was beautiful here that week. They always get on us about Customer Service but how do you expect to keep business when you straight up lie, and yes they do hold trailers.

vantexan

So is Ground offering overnight service in-state and next state over but not actually making service? Or is this strictly cheapest service possible you are talking about? We've had it emphasized this week that our SO and P-2 must be delivered ontime because Ground is kicking our butt with very cheap overnight service.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
So is Ground offering overnight service in-state and next state over but not actually making service? Or is this strictly cheapest service possible you are talking about? We've had it emphasized this week that our SO and P-2 must be delivered ontime because Ground is kicking our butt with very cheap overnight service.

Ground offers overnight service within a certain radius that can be trucked, much like the trucking companies who offer overnight service between LA and the Bay Area or other major urban centers that aren't that far away.

FedExer267

Its basically in a certain mileage the packages will be there the next day like MFE said so it is the customers cheaper alternative. This is not the first time this has happened. I have had customers on one hand tell me they did not expect to get their package that quick they just ordered it yesterday and it was coming from Oregon. Then there are the ones who tell me they were expecting that package yesterday and it was coming from a couple hours away. The system is not perfect and there are things like weather delays sure. But when it is sunny and beautiful and packages are going one terminal maybe two terminals away there is no reason they shouldn't make it.

vantexan

Ground offers overnight service within a certain radius that can be trucked, much like the trucking companies who offer overnight service between LA and the Bay Area or other major urban centers that aren't that far away.

Well yes, that's what I'm asking, are they making service on overnight deliveries which are in-state or in parts of next door states, or are they pulling things like waiting for trailers to fill up(or is that happening with just their normal service?)? We are being told by everyone, including our new Director, that they're delivering overnight for like $4 and that we for the sake of Express had better deliver on time. I'd say the biggest part of our overnight freight goes to regional cities as opposed to being shipped across country. If customers figure out the cost savings Express will become a much smaller service.

bbsam

Staff member
Our terminal is an OTP (overnight transfer point) and we generally make next day delivery within about a 200-250 mile radius which from here covers most of Iowa, all of Illinois some of Wisconsin, some of Indiana, and some of Michigan.

bbsam

Staff member
Yep it's a fairy tale can you bbsam explain to the class how a shipment of 20 boxes is going a hour and a half away basically one terminal over and not one box is there the next day. Now Customer Service are the ones that patched them through to the terminal and the terminal told them it was weather related when it was beautiful here that week. They always get on us about Customer Service but how do you expect to keep business when you straight up lie, and yes they do hold trailers.
If they hold trailers, it is not because they aren't full. Could it be that the trailers are bound for rail? As I stated previously, our Madison trailer is never full. They run it every night because they are next day commitment deliveries. Now whatever glitches you've seen in the system are exceptions rather than the rule. Ground simply does not hold up trailers so that they can go out full. Line-haul has cut times and at that time they are cut.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Our terminal is an OTP (overnight transfer point) and we generally make next day delivery within about a 200-250 mile radius which from here covers most of Iowa, all of Illinois some of Wisconsin, some of Indiana, and some of Michigan.

I left you a "gift" over on the Brown side. You might want to bring your shovel.