Third Qtr. Earnings Down, Prepare To Pay

whenIgetthere

You had a good argument going....right up until the last paragraph. If you knowingly sped, not to mention while looking at the powerpad, and that contributed to the accident it's on you every time. Those are the only things that are going to matter in a court of law, b/c FedEx can give thousands of other examples of people doing the exact same job with few or no accidents who are under the same pressure everyday. Now if they weren't able to determine your speed, so you claim to have been going the limit, and you lied about looking at the Ppad....is that any better than anything you accuse Fred/FedEx of? I will add that we have had a few more accidents than last year at my station, 3 to be exact, luckily they have all been very minor as far as damage/injury goes.....and without looking them up, I believe roughly 50% of them have been non-preventable.

Good one, but how many times has a manager sent us numerous messages while we're returning to station after clearing?
iIt's usually to go help someone else, but once I hop on the highway to return, I can't hear the PP beep, and since I don't read it while driving, I see the messages after getting back. In this type of case, they want us to do the wrong thing, wink, wink!

FedEx2000

They are in the process of that now. However they have a pick up account with both Ground and Express so they are paying more until they start with UPS to insure their stuff gets there.

The Ground commit time is 5 business day from the time FDX takes possession of the pkg.....doesn't matter if it's down the street or across the country. There are maps that show the approx. time it will take and may only be a day for places that are within 100-200 miles, sometimes that will happen, but again it's not guaranteed to my knowledge....which is limited when it comes to Ground. Why should they get next day delivery for paying Ground prices? Wouldn't be very smart business to guarantee overnight delivery with Ground pricing when they would have to ship it Express for 4-5 times as much to get it there next day.

Also, why not hold the trailers until they are full? As long as things get delivered by commit it makes more sense to fill the trailer than it does to pull it half empty.

I doubt they'll have much better luck with UPS. Generally pkgs get there a day or two sooner just b/c it's closer, but it's not guaranteed and they should be well aware of that before they choose to ship it Ground.

FedEx2000

I'm not 100% positive but I think it has something to do with what UPS drivers make. And how little FEDEX drivers make. I'm not making a joke. I think somehow that factors into it. The profit margin is less at UPS because of the pay.

Negative, UPS's profit margin Pre-tax is 10.3%...FedEx's profit margin Pre-tax is 5.6%.

bbsam

Staff member
The Ground commit time is 5 business day from the time FDX takes possession of the pkg.....doesn't matter if it's down the street or across the country. There are maps that show the approx. time it will take and may only be a day for places that are within 100-200 miles, sometimes that will happen, but again it's not guaranteed to my knowledge....which is limited when it comes to Ground. Why should they get next day delivery for paying Ground prices? Wouldn't be very smart business to guarantee overnight delivery with Ground pricing when they would have to ship it Express for 4-5 times as much to get it there next day.
Incredibly wrong. Ground commtitments are guaranteed.
Also, why not hold the trailers until they are full? As long as things get delivered by commit it makes more sense to fill the trailer than it does to pull it half empty.

I doubt they'll have much better luck with UPS. Generally pkgs get there a day or two sooner just b/c it's closer, but it's not guaranteed and they should be well aware of that before they choose to ship it Ground.

bbsam

Staff member
Can you tell us exactly what the commit is?

Sure. The commit is the advertised transit time. Not delivered by that date, refund. So, yes, when FDX bought RPS, we did cannibalize some from Express and when the economy tanked, companies wised up and took another look at the Ground transit times.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
By many I assume you mean the approx. 1% of shipments that are delivered late?

No I don't mean 1%.

I'm talking about the number of days the freight is late and the precentage is a lot higher. At my station the freight is always late on Tuesdays and usually a couple other days out of the week too. This has been going on for years and the problem remains unsolved.
When the freight is late this often it makes one wonder if the company has trouble handling the volume? Or has Fred and MT3 been delibrately understaffing the hubs and ramps too?

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
I tend to agree with Cactus. It sure seems to me that FDX can't get it's act together. Yeah, we had late frt. during peak and yes, there has been some weather issues lately but, c'mon. I think we're giving away the house now. They hold us for one truck that might have 200 pieces on it and therefor makes all our P1 late. We should launch with what we have and save what we already have. But, noooooooooooo, toss all the P1 on the floor of your truck because all that matters is SOS, P2, and E3 commits.