This year's raises

Purplepackage

Once they get married and have kids they settle down. Happens to every generation. They were right to walk away from the demands without fair compensation but the new pay plan makes it a better job than many out there. And the job is much more streamlined these days. Before Ground we were driving full stepvans and using delivery records. Power Pads, Sprinters, and mostly lightweight pkgs make it a much more reasonable job.

There are still plenty of routes driving full step vans, it's just a lot easier to get the job done

Purplepackage

As far as I know, the millennials will be the first generation where the majority of children are born out of wedlock - the family unit is not the stabilizing structure that it once was. You can see the children from those households a mile away; they generally have tattoos from top-to-bottom, and the subtext of said tattoos seems to be "please ask me why my parents never created a real family."

Those damn kids having their pre marital sex and listening to that rock music

bbsam

Staff member
It would be an easy enough gig. In my experience, generally speaking, approximately 4 - 6 people show up to the monthly meetings (nobody under 50).
Be an easy organization to steer toward possible growth down the line.

Meat

Where is this meeting involving your step-dad and 3-5 buddies? We could rally with your posse

Your objection to Kaufmanesque humor has been duly noted. Or is it you just didn't have the wit to see it as such? Either way, your posts on the subject are getting to be redundant.

Meat

The issue is that they called it a 10-step plan, so we have no guarantee that we'll get a $1 raise every year. Most of us understand that fact.

What percentage of US employees have a guaranteed pay raise at this point? 5 - 10 percent?

Oldfart

The issue is that they called it a 10-step plan, so we have no guarantee that we'll get a $1 raise every year. Most of us understand that fact.
Once again, the step by step raise was there. Why the confusion? Wasn't the raise pretty well spelled out in the chart? I don't recall the time frame for each step but don't people that aren't topped out get to the next step every year? I will hit the last step this Oct, wonder what raise I will get after that?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Once again, the step by step raise was there. Why the confusion? Wasn't the raise pretty well spelled out in the chart? I don't recall the time frame for each step but don't people that aren't topped out get to the next step every year? I will hit the last step this Oct, wonder what raise I will get after that?
The confusion comes in because FedEx was very careful to present a 10-STEP raise plan, not a 10-year raise plan. You don't recall the time frame because they never gave a time frame.

Last edited:

Oldfart

The confusion comes in because FedEx was very careful to present 10-STEP raise plan, not a 10-year raise plan. You don't recall the time frame because they never gave a time frame.
I thought each Oct. people were going to the next level. That was when we were given the yearly raise on the previous plan.

fedx

Extra Large Package
Maybe he knows something we don't. What say you young Meat? Is there a way for Express to unionize?
No, Express is covered under the Railway Labor Act (for railroads and airlines) which makes it nearly impossible to unionize. UPS is NLRA control which allows for easy unionization. Until Express falls under NLRA jurisdiction, forget about ever getting a union.

vantexan

No, Express is covered under the Railway Labor Act (for railroads and airlines) which makes it nearly impossible to unionize. UPS is NLRA control which allows for easy unionization. Until Express falls under NLRA jurisdiction, forget about ever getting a union.
I'm aware, we've discussed it into the minutia in the past. Didn't know if Meat knew though.

vantexan

There are still plenty of routes driving full step vans, it's just a lot easier to get the job done
Depends on where you're at. During the big switchover station in Texas went from about half stepvans, the rest econolines to almost all Sprinters. I think only two stepvans remained. That's out of about 35 vehicles. Sure you're going to see more stepvans in big metro areas but fact remains since Ground came fully online it's a different Express than before Ground.

vantexan

The confusion comes in because FedEx was very careful to present a 10-STEP raise plan, not a 10-year raise plan. You don't recall the time frame because they never gave a time frame.
It's not a 10 year plan anyways. You start on step one, and let's assume they do give annual raises. Takes 9 years to step 10. They probably intended to give themselves an out during severe economic times like 2008. Because they did screw with us for so long people are very skittish about believing they'll do right by this plan. They may not have a union, but employees can turn to the internet. They were screwing up a good thing, couldn't keep people. The new pay plan is a response to that, trying to placate employees. They'd be insane to start jerking people around on it. Doesn't mean that they want to pay a 30 year employee topped out wages for 21 years though. They'll put pressure on employees to perform, to follow the rules strictly. Some people will put up with it, quite a few will take whatever has built up in their portable pension plan and leave, seeking less stress and hassle. If the movement to get a $15hr minimum wage ever accomplishes that FedEx may have trouble getting enough newhires with the reputation they'll have built up.