This year's raises

McFeely

Huge Member
Having some semblance of a pay-plan, however vague, is still better than what the majority of the working populace has.

3.5 percent, in this era, isn't too bad. The global economy no longer works for the majority of the global population; what do you expect? It's hardly an issue exclusive to FedEx.

Unfortunately, I don't expect too much from FedEx with regards to compensation. I do wish that they would do some pay based on courier performance, however.

BootsOnTarmac

I don't know a percentage of who has a guaranteed 5-10% raise yearly. We don't have a guarantee of it either, thus the term "plan" that the company is using.

That's the point. My senior was bragging last fall that we'd all be getting about 6% raises because of this awesome plan. I got 3.5% because of where I fell in the steps. A ~6% increase this year would be nice, but I'm not counting on it yearly. I don't count on anything financially until I see it in my account.

I believe that a 6% increase this October is not out of line if your on the step plan.
It's the ones that fall on the percent of range plan (Handlers, etc.) that will probably only get 3%. Since Handlers are no longer required to have a GED, you can see why.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Unfortunately, I don't expect too much from FedEx with regards to compensation. I do wish that they would do some pay based on courier performance, however.

Joe got a 5% raise but Ed got 5.8% and he's lazy, or so Joe says.

Jim got a higher raise than Bob because he consistently made his SPH over the course of the year. Bob is upset at that because he says that his goal is too high and Jim's is too low and it's not fair that he should be penalized for a goal that's too high.

Gus and Bert are about as equal as you can get when it comes to the quality of courier performance, but Bert got a higher raise because he often volunteers to come in on his day off, stay late, or come in early as needed. Gus points out that none of that should matter.

And on and on and on it goes. That's a big reason they stopped giving performance based raises a few years ago. Not worth the hassle.

McFeely

Huge Member
And on and on and on it goes. That's a big reason they stopped giving performance based raises a few years ago. Not worth the hassle.

Still just as "unfair" with the current system...

Everybody gets a 5% raise (or whatever the percent is in a particular year), even the :censored2:ty couriers. The company is encouraging mediocrity by giving everybody the same raise.

BootsOnTarmac

A large percentage of the review was based upon available days worked vs. days not worked, as well as safety performance. Getting rid of how the Manager rated you personally would have been just fine. If the performance numbers were just that, performance numbers, the system of raises would be fine today. Also mostly eliminated are BZ's, Atta boy gifts, Thanksgiving turkeys!, the spring payout, etc.

!Retired!

Everybody gets a 5% raise (or whatever the percent is in a particular year), even the :censored2:ty couriers. The company is encouraging mediocrity by giving everybody the same raise.
That's how UPS does it. Everyone gets the same pay, whether they're lazy or not. I preferred the merit raises, but I don't get to make that decision.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!

True, but you can't argue favoritism, poor metrics, racism, sexism, ageism, or anything else.

It was inevitable.

vantexan

Back when it was based on reviews topped out couriers got 7's because they were only getting a small percentage raise. Couriers who 8-10 years and not topped out were getting 5.8 or so and told that was a good raise even though the 15 yr topped out guy never unloaded cans, never volunteered for Saturday, and had a rt with a third of the freight and was off no later than 1630. If you have a system now that gives you around 6% a year be thankful and don't worry about the fairness. It's been a lot more unfair in the past.

Oldfart

Back when it was based on reviews topped out couriers got 7's because they were only getting a small percentage raise. Couriers who 8-10 years and not topped out were getting 5.8 or so and told that was a good raise even though the 15 yr topped out guy never unloaded cans, never volunteered for Saturday, and had a rt with a third of the freight and was off no later than 1630. If you have a system now that gives you around 6% a year be thankful and don't worry about the fairness. It's been a lot more unfair in the past.
I bet you had to walk UPHILL to work, BOTH ways. Rain, sleet, snow and you didn't make enough money to buy shoes. Please stop. The tears are fogging up my contacts.

SmithBarney

Excerpt from MT3 script:
Even though the company did extremely well this year, and you all did an awesome job.
the acquisition of TNT, and subsequent Virus attack on TNT computer systems has strained our company resources, so this years raises will be suspended until Fall 2019. We know this will be hard for many of our front line employees given the uncertainty of the economy, we will be rolling back our planned insurance rate increase from 5% down to 3%. Keep up the great work, and keep delivering our bonuses Purple Promise

Serf

2nd week of October2017 I am due to receive $1.03 raise step. I'll hit top pay in under 12 yrs. Bad as it sounds, some have it far worse