Time for us to tell the Teamsters NO!

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Interesting thing GM going bankrupt.

Lots of union people without a job. Lots and lots.

Saw an interesting statement though by one of the people involved. Said the unions right now are more worried about the retirees than the workforce. And that they are desperately trying to join or become a part of another union.

That means one thing, the autoworkers retirees are in worse shape than central states. They are looking to be absorbed by a strong union to where the retirees can keep getting a pension check.

I heard rumors that the teamsters were looking to increase membership in a big way.

But there are some members that would come with too much baggage for the teamsters to be able to handle.

Urge the teamsters to just say no. If we learned anything so far about the teamsters, they will screw the rank and file to further their own interests. Been that way as long as I can remember, and has seemed to have only gotten worse.

d

Maybe I misread what you meant, that makes no sense. How could a retiree change unions and continue to get a retirement check?

Just from what you posted it sounds like the person making the statement is a current worker, not retired.

His concern was that the union was working harder for the retiree's best interest and not the current workers. They (current workers)are the ones looking for a new union. Although I would agree that we don't need them in the Teamsters, Obama would be way too hard to negotiate with.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I haven't heard anything about this, but I agree that taking on another union's retirees is a non-issue, it just doesn't work that way. Even within the Teamsters pensions are generally not transferable between different locals unless they both are members of the same pension fund. As far as taking on current workers, if they want to join the Teamsters then we should welcome them. Any union that keeps out a working man/woman isn't a union, it's a club.

I haven't heard anything about this, but I agree that taking on another union's retirees is a non-issue, it just doesn't work that way. Even within the Teamsters pensions are generally not transferable between different locals unless they both are members of the same pension fund. As far as taking on current workers, if they want to join the Teamsters then we should welcome them. Any union that keeps out a working man/woman isn't a union, it's a club.
IMO, it would be lunacy to take on GM auto workers, specially at this time. Why add other potential future retirees that will not be helping in funding the retirement fund for any significant amount of time?
Besides that, the government owns 60% of GM now. Wanna try to negotiate with them??? I don't think so.

A

anonymous6

Why do the Teamsters screw the rank and file? (all the time? ) We are the bread and butter of the union. Can you elaborate with specific examples?

I'll agree that we did not get as strong a contract as we should of. But UPS workers are not the Teamsters Union. I think they were looking at the bigger picture with Overnight ( UPSF) and FEDEX.

It's the same around here on a local scale. A driver files a grievance and wins and he thinks the teamsters are GREAT. He loses the grievance or the BA says there is no basis to pursue it and the driver says "The Teamsters SCREWED me and they SUCK!"

It's a matter of perspective.

So the Teamsters screw us all the time?

Why do the Teamsters screw the rank and file? (all the time? ) We are the bread and butter of the union. Can you elaborate with specific examples?

I'll agree that we did not get as strong a contract as we should of. But UPS workers are not the Teamsters Union. I think they were looking at the bigger picture with Overnight ( UPSF) and FEDEX.

It's the same around here on a local scale. A driver files a grievance and wins and he thinks the teamsters are GREAT. He loses the grievance or the BA says there is no basis to pursue it and the driver says "The Teamsters SCREWED me and they SUCK!"

It's a matter of perspective.

So the Teamsters screw us all the time?
We don't pay union dues for them to look out for UPSF or FedEx, we pay them to look out for us. I understand that they have to split time on their duties. That doesn't make it ok for them to ignore us though.
I feel that the Teamsters screwed us at the over 9.5 committee, the language in the contract is pretty clear on what should take place, yet with equal numbers on each side of that committee they let the company slide on that language.Now there are qualifying factors.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Screw the worker?

Take the 9.5 issue.

You dont want to be over 9.5 every day. Actually you would never ever want to be over 9.5 again. And the company has the technology to pull off that feat. But does it? No. Why? Because the weak language that is in the contract.

Oh sure, you can file after the third day in a week, but after filing every week for 6 months and still no resolution to the issue? Sorry, instead of a contract with teeth, I picture it more like the little ole lady in the back woods with only one tooth. Bite down too hard with that one tooth, and you end up being the only one hurt.

As for the initial post, the auto workers are looking to get under another union, one that has money, clout, reserves. The whole union wants to be absorbed. Not just the workers that are currently working, but all the baggage that they bring with them.

As for dealing with the gooberment as a union, just remember, the postal service guys are union. But they can not, under the law, go on strike.

As has been said, not a good deal.

d

paidslave

I'd say except the workers who have never owned an imported car. Those that do, they can live out of it or take it to the country of origin and work there making cars!

It is pathetic how many imports are driving on American soil and I really get a kick out of illegals coming here that work and buy an import, this blows my mind.

Very sad times for American workers and companys..................

DS

Fenderbender
I'd say except the workers who have never owned an imported car. Those that do, they can live out of it or take it to the country of origin and work there making cars!

It is pathetic how many imports are driving on American soil and I really get a kick out of illegals coming here that work and buy an import, this blows my mind.

Very sad times for American workers and companys..................
Why is it that uncle sam can't give Americans a damn good reason to buy a car manufactured by Americans? 0% interest would be nice,or a low interest rate and 5 year free maintenance package.
The only reason I can see is that the japs build a better car.
Why is it that 9 out ot 10 subarus over 12 years old are still on the road?

bluehdmc

Why is it that uncle sam can't give Americans a damn good reason to buy a car manufactured by Americans? 0% interest would be nice,or a low interest rate and 5 year free maintenance package.
The only reason I can see is that the japs build a better car.
Why is it that 9 out ot 10 subarus over 12 years old are still on the road?

I don't see why Uncle Sam should give Americans a GOOD reason to buy a car manufactured by americans.
The US auto manufacturers needed to give americans a good car instead of the junk they made for years. Of course a lot of it is the good old US manufacturing mentality, quantity (numbers) vs quality (less damaged packages?). Sound familiar? Granted we're in a different industry but some of those same management techniques are applied, must be what's taught in business schools, maybe in "worker motivation" classes.
Aren't 9 out of 10 Chevy trucks from the same period still on the road. We make a good pickup truck. Of course the Japanese manufacturers don't make the equivalent of an friend-350 otherwise the US truck business would probably be gone also.

JonFrum

I thought most (all?) Teamster pension funds had reciprocity agreements with each other, but the new IBT-UPS Pension Fund for full-time Central Staters did not?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I thought most (all?) Teamster pension funds had reciprocity agreements with each other, but the new IBT-UPS Pension Fund for full-time Central Staters did not?
I know that some do, I honestly don't know how many but I wouldn't think it was most of them. My local's fund doesn't even have a reciprocity agreement with the other UPS local in the same state. I can guarantee that we don't have one with the UAW.