Time from driver school til road assignment

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Hello friends. I’m wondering if anyone can give me an idea of the time between finishing driver school and starting to actually drive. This is for the most senior package handler and an open driver position listed.

It would be very difficult for anyone here to give you a definitive answer but my best guess is you should expect to be on road for a few days of training within the next week or so and then can expect to be on road every day throughout Peak starting on or around Thanksgiving week, which is when the volume should start to pick up.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Hello friends. I’m wondering if anyone can give me an idea of the time between finishing driver school and starting to actually drive. This is for the most senior package handler and an open driver position listed.
My suggestion if you are eager to begin driving is to make plans for a date in the near future. Rest assured, the company will have you start on that date without fail.

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs
Don't make any plans for the next 2 months or so. They will keep telling you "We're not sure when you'll be on road" until one day when you walk in and your sup says "you're going out tomorrow. don't know which route."

FLNinja

It would be very difficult for anyone here to give you a definitive answer but my best guess is you should expect to be on road for a few days of training within the next week or so and then can expect to be on road every day throughout Peak starting on or around Thanksgiving week, which is when the volume should start to pick up.

Thanks. I figured it varied. School was completed 10/16-20. Was just trying to get an idea. I figured soon because of thanksgiving but wasn’t sure if it was typically immediate or 2-3 weeks later. Obviously situational, I’m just excited and trying to map out a financial game plan with a second kid on the way.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Thanks. I figured it varied. School was completed 10/16-20. Was just trying to get an idea. I figured soon because of thanksgiving but wasn’t sure if it was typically immediate or 2-3 weeks later. Obviously situational, I’m just excited and trying to map out a financial game plan with a second kid on the way.
Are you sure you want to do the job being pregnant? It’s one thing to be pregnant and having done it for years and a whole nother beast to first start out pregnant. Unless it’s your partner that’s pregnant, then carry on.

FLNinja

Don't make any plans for the next 2 months or so. They will keep telling you "We're not sure when you'll be on road" until one day when you walk in and your sup says "you're going out tomorrow. don't know which route."

It’s not too crazy to think super soon with an open position and thanksgiving around the corner, right? I’m a logistical planner aheader person!

FLNinja

Are you sure you want to do the job being pregnant? It’s one thing to be pregnant and having done it for years and a whole nother beast to first start out pregnant. Unless it’s your partner that’s pregnant, then carry on.

Lol, hell no! I’m a marine biologist! This is my husband’s situation.

FLNinja

He’s perfect for UPS because he doesn’t ask questions and just does as he’s told without complaint. I’m the one who’s supporting us and planning ahead.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Equal rights, so a baby is zero factor here. Load her up!.

Deal!

Yolo

Anywhere from a week up to several years. They will likely just use you as a seasonal driver during peak then send you back to preload.