Time to bump up that 401k

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
There is I just put in a few bucks in it's called a "I -Bond" you can put in 10k per calendar year .It's a 30 year bond BUT you can with draw after one year you lose the last three months of interest current rate is 9.65% November will bump up to over 12% .
I maxed out I Bonds last year and this year, and probably will next year as well. 12% in November eh? Anything's possible but I think that's unlikely.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
You can also get $10,000 a year for your wife and if you get it income tax return you can buy up to additional $5,000 but they are paper bonds
You can also create 2 trusts, one for you and one for your wife, and contribute another 10k to each trust which gets you to 40k/year total. 45k if you get the paper bonds from your tax return.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
But trust aren't cheap to set up and I really don't think the amount of money to make off of I bonds with justify the cost of the trust.
There are plenty of other good reasons to set up a trust, the ability to buy more I Bonds might just be icing on the cake. And they're not expensive in the grand scheme of things, you can probably find a lawyer to do it for 2k which is what, a week's pay?

There are plenty of other good reasons to set up a trust, the ability to buy more I Bonds might just be icing on the cake. And they're not expensive in the grand scheme of things, you can probably find a lawyer to do it for 2k which is what, a week's pay?
I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the trust what if you are doing it just to put I bonds in it it would not be cost effective.

Thebrownblob

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the trust what if you are doing it just to put I bonds in it it would not be cost effective.
Trusts can be beneficial but they can also be a headache my grandparents both had a trust It was so complicated we had to hire a lawyer, of course they lived in California so that complicated things even more. :censored2: state with :censored2: rules meant to steal your money as much as possible.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Not sure I agree with you on that. I know folks who have set up trusts specifically to buy more Bonds. The setup fee is a one-time cost, and if you max it out for 10 years you'll have over 100k in there earning interest.

Not sure I agree with you on that. I know folks who have set up trusts specifically to buy more Bonds. The setup fee is a one-time cost, and if you max it out for 10 years you'll have over 100k in there earning interest.
Well the i bonds are not going to pay this current rate forever.
Some of my older bonds that I bought less than three or four years ago was paying under 2% when they was issued.

This is my retirement slush on money that's the only reason I have a treasury direct account.
I get above bank rate interest rates on my iPhone treasury bills and t notes Plus tax advantage if the state cannot tax you on those.

Trusts can be beneficial but they can also be a headache my grandparents both had a trust It was so complicated we had to hire a lawyer, of course they lived in California so that complicated things even more. :censored2: state with :censored2: rules meant to steal your money as much as possible.
Like I said before trust can be a good thing if there's the right amount of money you're putting into it.
I'm getting older I want things to be simpler not more complicated

oldngray

nowhere special
Like I said before trust can be a good thing if there's the right amount of money you're putting into it.
I'm getting older I want things to be simpler not more complicated
If you don't have a big estate with a lot of complicated investments I don't think you need to mess with a trust. There are special situations where they are better but probably don't apply to most people.