tipping loaders

By The Book

i did full time preload for almost 20 yrs. mostly before the PAL computer system when it was all charts, memory and knowledge. i had the same 5 cars/drivers and a 6th split for peak. they would each give me $100 and the split guy always gave me $20 even though he really didn't get any tips. some of you guys need to cut your loaders a little slack. if the amount of pieces there required to load does not match the amount of time there given to load, then the system fails and your load is a mess. i ran about 1200 pieces average and at the time we we required to load 200 pph. simple math, i need 6 hours to load. thats 2 hours on the slide sorting and then load for the rest of the shift. well, one year we had a horrible sup and he cut my time to 5 hours loading and all year it was a mess. it got worse at peak to the point that i had words with all my drivers and basically told them all to "friend... off! im not here for your tips". i got zero that year! lol
I would of let the drivers know that your you know whats are in a vise because of the reduced time to load the trucks, we as drivers can relate to your situation.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Truth be told, if I busted my butt all year and you handed me a twenty dollar bill I would be royally piss ed.
$20 is $20. I learned a long time ago to not expect anything at all. And if I do get something then I appreciate it much more. The only thing you should expect at UPS is a paycheck. Anything beyond that is a bonus.

pkgdriver

100 for loader...he volunteered taking off quite a few days this year and has been shuttling/cover driving the past 3 weeks or else it would have been more. 20 for mechanic.. no helper this year

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I gave my jumper 100 bux for xmas. That young boy worked his nuttz off for me. The last day i got his paycheck for him before i left center and put the greenback under the flap of his paycheck= SNEAK ATTACK :censored2: lmfao.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
My bookie took my helpers tip................
200- erfgyui.gif

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I ended up giving my loader $50, which was the same as what the other 2 drivers had given him.

I had a new helper for the last 3 days. Good kid, ran his butt off. I brought his orientation check to him on Thursday----grand total of $17.91. When I dropped him off I "re-gifted" a $20 tip that I had received earlier that day.

DOK

Depends how long they've been loading. Starts at $50 then goes up each year, one time I had the same loader for 11 years[emoji15].

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I got out of package cars in 1985, and had the same loader for several years, and he was a good one. Not saying I'm an old fart or anything, but I noticed about 4 or 5 years ago that he got into the circle of honor. I guess he is still with the company. I used to tip him regularly. Those guys could certainly make you or break you.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Seems it is more old timers that tip the loaders if it is an everyday loader.
Last week before work I ran into 2 guys I work with in the parking lot (who both have over 30 years in) and asked what they give their loaders and they both said nothing due to misloads and load quality. When I said I gave 50 to my loader and 50 to my helper they both held out their hands to me and asked "Where's mine?"