Tips for Covering a New Route

PeakMode

Arrive Peak Leave
Make the ORS or have them assign a driver to expose you too the route. Get the # of the driver who knows the route to bounce your questions off of while you cover it. It takes time obtain the knowledge but you will get it.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I’m a new driver, and I’m beginning to get exposed to routes other than my qualifying route. I could use some tips as far as morning game-planning or just advice on running blind in general. Any info is appreciated.
9y0r1nFrX92u.gif

RolloTony Brown Town

OP:

There’s no way to learn a route in the blind faster. One stop at a time. It’ll take you awhile to finish but by the next day and the 3rd day you’ll know it like the back of your hand. Just don’t panic, stay organized and take it one at a time.

CoolStoryBro

I’m a new driver, and I’m beginning to get exposed to routes other than my qualifying route. I could use some tips as far as morning game-planning or just advice on running blind in general. Any info is appreciated.

If you don't like the route what you do is work 100% safely and follow ODO 100%.

Now if it's some super high seniority route that you dream of doing everyday. Run your ass off and disregard ODO and safe work methods. That way management will default to putting you on this preferred route.

CSB

GenericUsername

OP:

There’s no way to learn a route in the blind faster. One stop at a time. It’ll take you awhile to finish but by the next day and the 3rd day you’ll know it like the back of your hand. Just don’t panic, stay organized and take it one at a time.

To add onto this, learn the delivery points of all the businesses. The resis will come off quick eventually, but you'll only speed the route up faster if you can learn the shortcuts going into the businesses and their delivery points. Maybe some of them have back entrances away from the main road that will save you time from having to pull out into traffic.

Indecisi0n

If you don't like the route what you do is work 100% safely and follow ODO 100%.

Now if it's some super high seniority route that you dream of doing everyday. Run your ass off and disregard ODO and safe work methods. That way management will default to putting you on this preferred route.

CSB
Someone gets it .

BurntSienna

Make friends with other drivers in your center. Find out who knows the route well and pick their brain for helpful tips. Always helps to have a few guys you can call/text if you have questions

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
Deliver to the first stop Orion tells you, then go to the next. Keep following.

Caution: Bring a wheelbarrow with you on Friday to hold all the cash you’ll make.

If you know your covering a route the week before, take pics of load chart, ask the reg driver to go over pick up log etc. Study map of area over the weekend.
If thrown into a run day of have someone go over the run with you inside the truck and hopefully they can give tips etc.
I like to get off to a good start by taking my time during air and businesses. Avoiding any missed packages that have slid out of place or off shelf...once you get going in the right direction you will feel good and make better choices as the day goes on. At the end of the day if you've kept your cool and tried your best that's all that matters. After doing a run a couple times things will get easier.

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
Going out blind always sucks, but you can only do one stop at a time. Customers are usually forgiving when they see an unfamiliar face delivering to the wrong spot and will redirect you. You’ll get used to the stress the more routes you try.

5Cube4Life

One stop, one step, one package at a time. Print good maps, as many as you need. Try to figure out commercial stops before you leave the building. Ask supervisor for route knowledge, especially business delivery/pick up locations.

UrFellowUpser

I cant wait until vacations start picking up theres like 5 routes i want to learn. I know i already know most of the areas on them routes from just looking at the different drivers manifest and doing splits of them areas on said routes.

Arch

Anytime I do a business delivery or pick up that I've never been before, I usually just park in the front and ask the customer where does their regular driver meets them at. Once I get the answer I make a mental note of that. So if I ever had to do it again, I will be able to remember where I'm suppose to go. Side, back, whatever.