To Express New Hires: What’d They Tell You?

McFeely

Huge Member
Just surprised I’m making more than some folks with more years on the job.

You're also in a different pay market than those on the Base pay market. Not saying it's at all fair for the huge discrepancies with pay, just that there are 5 different payscales for us across the company.

dezguy

You're also in a different pay market than those on the Base pay market. Not saying it's at all fair for the huge discrepancies with pay, just that there are 5 different payscales for us across the company.
There in lies the problem. We all do the same job, why shouldn't it be for the same pay?

Unless you living like a hermit in the mountains, there really isn't a huge difference in cost of living, from place to place. At least where I live. It's all gotten unaffordable.

vantexan

There in lies the problem. We all do the same job, why shouldn't it be for the same pay?

Unless you living like a hermit in the mountains, there really isn't a huge difference in cost of living, from place to place. At least where I live. It's all gotten unaffordable.
Also there are very expensive towns on the lowest or second lowest payscales. FedEx doesn't consider cost of living when assigning payscales. They always pay the lowest pay that will keep turnover low enough.

Basement Dweller

What they didn't tell new hires at my hub is that Sunday sorts are mandatory now despite their offer letters saying Monday-Thursday. At first it was just full time employees only, then they said "Mandatory Sundays just for peak", and now it's mandatory Sundays for all Sunrise and Dayside employees regardless of employment status. Okay, so you have Fridays and Saturdays off, right? NOPE, there's been a few emergency sorts on Friday because of excess rollover and a Saturday rotation where you must work one Saturday a month.

It's good for the bootlickers that love Fedex so they get their 60 hours a week with 10 hours of overtime and 10 hours of double-time. For the 90% though, it just causes them to leave the door sooner.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Also there are very expensive towns on the lowest or second lowest payscales. FedEx doesn't consider cost of living when assigning payscales. They always pay the lowest pay that will keep turnover low enough.
Fundamental basic economics.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
After reading all of this, I had to leave my Cone of Silence and say something. Here it is: When will you EVER learn that FedEx is, and always has been a scam of the highest order. Step 1 should be your feet heading out the door for a real job.

FedexCares

What they didn't tell new hires at my hub is that Sunday sorts are mandatory now despite their offer letters saying Monday-Thursday. At first it was just full time employees only, then they said "Mandatory Sundays just for peak", and now it's mandatory Sundays for all Sunrise and Dayside employees regardless of employment status. Okay, so you have Fridays and Saturdays off, right? NOPE, there's been a few emergency sorts on Friday because of excess rollover and a Saturday rotation where you must work one Saturday a month.

It's good for the bootlickers that love Fedex so they get their 60 hours a week with 10 hours of overtime and 10 hours of double-time. For the 90% though, it just causes them to leave the door sooner.
I worked at the Indy hub for 4-5 years in college. I can’t believe people are working 60 hours. Some of those positions are back-breaking. That many hours is going to take a toll fast.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
After reading all of this, I had to leave my Cone of Silence and say something. Here it is: When will you EVER learn that FedEx is, and always has been a scam of the highest order. Step 1 should be your feet heading out the door for a real job.
Hey, you misspelled 'irrelevancy.'

Aquaman

Maybe so, but when costs are near California levels and they're paying the same as in parts of the southeastern US they shouldn't be surprised at the revolving door of turnover.
The big problem they’re going to be facing now is people retiring. I know at my station a lot of the higher seniority RTD’s and couriers are done. A lot of them won’t stay another year. Management has gotten a lot worse. And with COVID hitting our flight crews hard, you know we’re not getting another step raise this year. The company has fallen in love with contracting their RTD routes out to third party trucking companies. And they’ll use that cost as an excuse for no step raise too. I know at my station they’re contracting out 10-12 routes that FedEx drivers normally run. Nobody knows why. We have enough drivers. They’re just paying other companies to run our routes.

yadig

The big problem they’re going to be facing now is people retiring. I know at my station a lot of the higher seniority RTD’s and couriers are done. A lot of them won’t stay another year. Management has gotten a lot worse. And with COVID hitting our flight crews hard, you know we’re not getting another step raise this year. The company has fallen in love with contracting their RTD routes out to third party trucking companies. And they’ll use that cost as an excuse for no step raise too. I know at my station they’re contracting out 10-12 routes that FedEx drivers normally run. Nobody knows why. We have enough drivers. They’re just paying other companies to run our routes.
Because they can!!!!

zeev

Same here contracted out RTD , reason not enough drivers.

yadig

Because they cani
Same here contracted out RTD , reason not enough drivers.
we hv enough drivers and still contracting work out

Aquaman

Because they cani

we hv enough drivers and still contracting work out
Yep. My station is contracting RTD routes out to third party and leaving the regular drivers with nothing to do. Saying we don’t have enough drivers. Enough drivers for what? Sitting around at the station with nothing to do? Is that what we need to keep those guys off their routes for? Our managers made the number 1 mistake FedEx managers should avoid…. They don’t bid open routes. They don’t want to have to try to hire more drivers. In their minds, if they bid a route there’s a chance a swing could get it. Costing them a cover driver. Never mind that leaving the route open is costing them a cover driver week to week anyway lol. Well they did this for so long our swings started leaving. News flash to management, RTD’s don’t want to be swings. That made the open route problem worse. Just a tip to any manager that might read this, you bid open routes so that your new hire swings… aren’t wasted being designated to a route nobody runs.

yadig

It’s a revolving door for RTD’s here. There is so much favoritism here and it’s gotten progressively worse. I’ve never seen anything like it. A total re-bid would really help this location. I don’t think management or engineers could make it happen though. I sure hope it’s not this bad across the country!

zeev

Motown revolving door always short. Senior actually had meeting with new drivers asking them not to leave.

Aquaman

Motown revolving door always short. Senior actually had meeting with new drivers asking them not to leave.
The company is going to have to change going forward. The younger generation is NOT going to wait 20+ years for first shift. They’re not going to wait 20+ years to reach top pay. The older guys can say the new hires are entitled or lazy. But the fact is they didn’t have to wait the way newer employees do. They didn’t get treated the way newer employees do… you want new RTD’s to stay? Well new swings have to cover first, second and third shift for no extra pay than drivers that have routes. Their schedule changes week to week. Their pay is $5-$6 below what the market pays. And they have a license they can use anywhere. Asking nicely isn’t gonna cut it lol.

MassWineGuy

Excellent points. I’m not sure that any high level execs at FX who agree with you could ever get such progressive changes past the old fart, fuddy duddy Smith Cartel.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
82C77355-5653-493D-988E-0422377A43B7.jpeg

fedx

Extra Large Package

In many states you can quit and get unemployment if your hours substantially change. Having you work mandatory Sundays is enough of a change that you could leave and draw unemployment. It all depends on how bad you need that job.