Tonights main event: APWA vs IBT at UPS Freight

wkmac

Excellent move on the part of APWA. The Freight division is a clean sheet of paper with nobody losing a thing going one direction and not staying in another. Great opportunity for a good side by side comparision of APWA to IBT and great opportunity for APWA to get it's message out there.

Can APWA deliver? Can't say but Freight may give us a chance to watch and see if it can.

brett636

This is what I expected the APWA to do all along. While all their talk sounds good its just talk. I wouldn't vote for them until they have a clear track record of solidly representing somebody other than me. If they can become a true legal union, dump their union busting lawyer, and show they can negotiate and enforce a contract then I might consider them. Its really their only shot at removing the teamsters.

over9five

Staff member
Excellent move! Freight would be stupid to go with the Teamsters. Absolutely nothing to lose (and everything to gain) going with APWA.

Bulkstop

Shanty Irish
I can't believe that guys that have been around as long as you guys have can't see this APWA for what it obviously is! A company sponsered union. Look who the people running it are. God help us all if they get into UPS Freight before the next contract. UPS will force another strike, and all your "brothers and sisters" in the APWA will be doing your jobs.

wkmac

Bulkstop said:
I can't believe that guys that have been around as long as you guys have can't see this APWA for what it obviously is! A company sponsered union. Look who the people running it are. God help us all if they get into UPS Freight before the next contract. UPS will force another strike, and all your "brothers and sisters" in the APWA will be doing your jobs.

Hmmmm! Excellent! From reactions like this, it's obvious the union and it's lacky boys are starting to sweat and those of us with no loyalities either way stand the most to gain from this scenario. This is great IMO.

As I said here at the outset of when APWA first hit the scene that it's greatest purpose and usefulness was not that it would succeed in giving UPSers their own union as a majority of UPSers I talk too believe this should be the case anyway. It's best purpose and usefulness to the majority of UPSers who have no loyality to one faction or the other is to be a ballbat to smack the heads of the IBT with. Appears to me that process may indeed be starting to work. Big question is will Hoffa Boy and the IBT Mullahs pull a Ron Carey and get CS to up the pension payouts again to quell the heat like Carey did when UPS put 2 men on in the bottom of the nineth with one out and the potential winning run walked to the plate with a shot at a walkoff home run. Carey managed a rainout to call the game and the winning run never was able to swing the bat and see if he could get a hit. Will Hoffa in some way do the same thing? Only thing Carey's move did was accelerate the problem to manifest quicker as the demographics just prove the union is dying and thus less and less folks putting in $$$ to plans so that when we retire we really do face the chance of getting a fraction of what we get as the fund will go belly up. Washington lobby efforts have not been to make the funds stronger but have been to lower required assets in order to prolong recievership.

Could it be that some of us look up and see the bomb dropping to an ever increasing groundrush and want to look at other options that may allow us not to escape damage but to keep from getting killed out right!

Bulkstop, say what you want that UPS is behind the APWA but the history is rich and rotten with the mob and other criminal elements being behind the IBT. You might do well to check out the History Channel's website and purchase the 2 hour DVD documentary on the History of the IBT and the Mob. UPS is not a sterling diamond of perfection by any stretch but we've been screwed and screwed and some folks are finally standing up and calling the union on it and you guys can't take the heat. I Fu#king love it!

If APWA is a company effort then post away with the evidence. If you've got it give it to me and I'll be down at the Federal Dept. of Labor so fast with a formal labor complaint it will make even your head spin. Give us the proof or is this just wishing thinking on your part of bait and switch or the real rotten pot calling the kettle black? UPS owns IBT and watch the coming contract to see the proof!

Don't piss on my back and tell me it's raining!

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I still have to laugh, that this is still even being discussed.

1. They are not a union.
2. There is no paperwork filed with the United States Department of Labor regarding theso-called AWPA and no such body exists.
3. The AWPA has not held any election for anything.
4. The AWPA has not disclosed any information about its finances or where and how much money it gets or spends.
5. The AWPA intentionally is deceptive and hides the information reletive to registrar of the website.
6. The AWPA has no physical address.
7. The AWPA asks for money.
8. No aspect of the AWPA can be confirmed as legitimate.
9. People have purposefully tried to create multiple identities to deceive the audience of this website.
10. Not one person claiming to be with AWPA will not answer the simple question of whether they have ever represented any union member for anything, even as shop steward.

To this point I think I have been more than fair considering the facts regarding the AWPA.

The only name put to this fraud is Francis T. Coleman. Here is what Mr. Francis T. Colemans firm has to do with regards to Labor and Employment:

Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">The Labor & Employment Section of Williams Mullen provides ongoing labor and employment advice and counsel to a variety of businesses in the United States and throughout the world. The Section's attorneys represent clients in a number of sophisticated labor management relations issues, complex employment lawsuits, and intricate human resources problems.

Services
Advise and counsel on a variety of complicated human resources issues
Defense of employment-related lawsuits in all courts
Drafting Affirmative Action Plans and conducting OFCCP audits
Enforcing non-compete and other employment agreements
Experienced in Alternative Dispute Resolution
Proactive labor management representation

Sample Representations

* Protected client interests in connection with injunctions in labor disputes, including recognitional strikes, unfair labor practice strikes, and economic work stoppage.
* Defeated union organizing attempts for clients in major manufacturing sectors, such as steel, paper, health care, printing, construction and mining.
* Represented clients in decertification of unions.
* Negotiated several long-term labor agreements, including work rule and health insurance concessions for Fortune 500 companies.
* Defended matters before the National Labor Relations Board and handled appeals of NLRB orders before various U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals.
* Represented employers in grievance and arbitration matters arising under collective bargaining agreements.
* Representation in various state and federal courts for companies accused of discrimination, wrongful discharge, wage and hour violations, ERISA violations, defamation, and unfair labor practices and in numerous appeals before state and federal appellate courts throughout the United States on a variety of labor and employment issues for employers.
* Representation of employers enforcing noncompete agreements, employment contracts, confidentiality agreements and protection of trade secrets.
* Represented companies before the EEOC, the DOL, the OFCCP, and various state anti-discrimination agencies.
* Conducted labor and employment due diligence for clients contemplating acquisitions and divestitures to ensure compliance with state and federal employment laws.
* Prepared affirmative action plans and assisted with OFCCP audits.
* Trained all levels of management for a variety of employers in union avoidance, conducting workplace investigations, preventing unlawful harassment and discrimination, implementing successful progressive discipline techniques, using lawful techniques to hire, retain and terminate and defending against employment lawsuits.
* Provided on-going counseling to companies in all areas of human resource management, including, but not limited to, employment agreements, covenants not to compete, substance abuse policies, OSHA, personnel practices, severance and release agreements, plant closings, relocations, and layoffs.

Attorneys
D. Earl Baggett IV
Beth Hirsch Berman
Steven D. Brown
David C. Burton
M. Eve G. Campbell
Francis T. (Tom) Coleman
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Come on please tell me I am wrong. Nospin, please tell me that this lawyer is not affiliated with anyone claiming to be pro-employee?

Not even TDU is this stupid

B

ben schreilavoge

Count how many corruptions your local and federal goverment agencies have been involved in, yet you still probably beleive that they work in your best interest. People still hold the teamsters accountable for the whole hoffa incident yet seem to be unwilling to hold their own government accountable to the endless shamefull finacial mismanagement commited every day. This country is run on money and your best backing the organization with the most of it to stand for your rights. Otherwise it is just worthless political noise.

pkgdriver

Hmmmm! Excellent! From reactions like this, it's obvious the union and it's lacky boys are starting to sweat and those of us with no loyalities either way stand the most to gain from this scenario. This is great IMO.

Amen wkmac

wkmac

BigUnionGuy,
If we're just talking about something that isn't real, isn't going to happen, isn't in anyway a threat whatsoever, then why the worry? Why all the posting trying as you might to discredit it? If we're all talking out our ass, then what's the problem and how in any way shape or form will that effect or threaten a real, viable, working and valid union?

Your actions as well as that of others betray your words my friend!

APWA may be the biggest pipedream that ever was but it sure is doing it's job right now IMO as the results here among the lackies is proof in the puddin'. Keep stirring APWA, Keep Stirring!

BTW, The Union and it's Mullahs also said the same thing about TDU in the early 80's and I wonder how many of you are regular distributors of Convoy Dispatch in your workplace. You see, the union's tactics don't change at all over time.

mittam

Bulkstop said:
Tieguy likes the APWA. I rest my case.
bulkstop maybe you ought to attend APWA meeting and see what it is about you run it down ignorantly, find out what you are talking about....if you feel the same then speak up and continue what you have to say,give it a fair chance though find out where around you they will be and attend

1eyejack

It was 1997 when ups offer its empoyee 3000 dollars a month with 30 yrs in .. the union match it but then took away the 25 in out and the 30 in out .. But it seems like when u sign a contract with the teamsters they fall short of the out come and change it on u ... when it feels right for them not US ... I hear people signing on basketball teams and football teams asking for millions and getting it when they sign the deal even if they company gets the raw deal they have to abide the contract ..But not the teamster they get to change anything thing they want when we sign a deal for 6yrs .... and they want to sign us up again please we have had enough of them best contract ever for teamster bussiness agent it means a great contract they all got a 20 percent raise .... please its time for a new union with a new vision for its ups employees.. like congress its time for a new change of hands ...thank u

DorkHead

Ok, let me get this straight, in a previous thread, UPSF employees in Pa. challenged the APWA and the IBT to a debate. The IBT accepted and the APWA posts a invitation for UPSF employees to come to a meeting nearby????

I will email the APWA with some questions and post their responses here on this forum

local776

Ok, let me get this straight, in a previous thread, UPSF employees in Pa. challenged the APWA and the IBT to a debate. The IBT accepted and the APWA posts a invitation for UPSF employees to come to a meeting nearby????

I will email the APWA with some questions and post their responses here on this forum
To stand corrected it was Teamsters local776 and the APWA. And to date I heard nothing on the matter and its been 2 months

wildgoose

WILDGOOSE
It was 1997 when ups offer its empoyee 3000 dollars a month with 30 yrs in .. the union match it but then took away the 25 in out and the 30 in out .. But it seems like when u sign a contract with the teamsters they fall short of the out come and change it on u ... when it feels right for them not US ... I hear people signing on basketball teams and football teams asking for millions and getting it when they sign the deal even if they company gets the raw deal they have to abide the contract ..But not the teamster they get to change anything thing they want when we sign a deal for 6yrs .... and they want to sign us up again please we have had enough of them best contract ever for teamster bussiness agent it means a great contract they all got a 20 percent raise .... please its time for a new union with a new vision for its ups employees.. like congress its time for a new change of hands ...thank u
It takes a teamster mentality to overlook the injustices to stay loyal to the fleecing of the UPS employee ! When they can`t be responsible for the job they were hired for they should be let go but the so called stronghold want to end up with a reduced pension and insurance benefits because of this loyalty. They will understand soon enough !!!!!