Train hits Semitrailer in Utah

rod

Retired 22 years
The nearest train tracks are several miles away from where I at now .
With the right wind direction you can hear the train's horn blowing across the waters .

In the summer when the windows are open, if I'm awake, I can hear the coal trains going through town about 6 miles away. For the most part the whistle is blowing at every street intersection and I do believe the blow them longer since the town tried to have them silenced after 10:00 p.m.---paybacks are hell.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
the other fed ex truck must have seen the train coming, otherwise 2 fed ex trailers would have been taken out.

Looks like he barely saw it. This is what a lot of us feeder drivers see on the highways more often than anything less than a SWIFT rig.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Perhaps. But how stupid are you that you rely on a crossbar?

There are idiot drivers everywhere...

Plus eggplant ground standards are way lower than a brownie behind the wheel.

They are sent to various cdl schools of varying quality, so it's a crapshoot to find a diamond quality driver in a sack of coal

Dracula

I tell ya that guy lost traction and was already too far into it. Should he have tried? No, but by the time he realized that it was already too late.

Still, that's on the driver. Any smart driver has his antennas at full mast anywhere near RR tracks. Especially in the snow.

Johney

Still, that's on the driver. Any smart driver has his antennas at full mast anywhere near RR tracks. Especially in the snow.
Keyword here. This guy was not. Then again there were two guys in the cab is it possible the other guy was telling him it was clear? Were the windows fogged up? I mean crap the gates obviously weren't working correctly. Can the driver really be that stupid?

rod

Retired 22 years
Perhaps. But how stupid are you that you rely on a crossbar?

I bet 99 out of a hundred people who go across RR tracks on a daily basis don't check for trains if the lights and bells and cross-arms aren't activated. Not saying its right -- just telling it like it is.

Dracula

Keyword here. This guy was not. Then again there were two guys in the cab is it possible the other guy was telling him it was clear? Were the windows fogged up? I mean crap the gates obviously weren't working correctly. Can the driver really be that stupid?
Yes