Training dummy

upschuck

I have a bike shop on my route that for some reason has an aggressive dog on their sales floor. At first I was very hesitant to approach him and asked that he be secured while I made my deliveries. Over time we (the dog and I) came to an understanding that I was just there to do my job and that he was to leave me alone. Yesterday I walked in there and he let me pet him for the first time ever. This was all done without dog biscuits or any other treats.

I have a pickup stop which also has an aggressive dog which I don't go anywhere near. They keep him secured while I am there. There is no way that I will ever be able to come to an understanding with that dog. Ironically, one of the employees is married to one of our drivers, who kids me about being afraid of Cujo.
Have you asked the customer if they could have a biscuit waiting on you to give the dog? Being an everyday pickup, you'd think that they would be willing to do this if they know the situation, and would want the dog to be friendly with the regular people.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Have you asked the customer if they could have a biscuit waiting on you to give the dog? Being an everyday pickup, you'd think that they would be willing to do this if they know the situation, and would want the dog to be friendly with the regular people.

They keep him outside on nice days but when it is cold, snowing or raining he stays in the office. There used to be just a full door between the office and warehouse but they wanted the dog to be able to roam and to see who was in the warehouse so they put in a half door to separate the two. I can usually grab the pickup pieces without him knowing I am there but when I stop to thank them he starts barking like crazy. It is annoying as hell.

upschuck

They keep him outside on nice days but when it is cold, snowing or raining he stays in the office. There used to be just a full door between the office and warehouse but they wanted the dog to be able to roam and to see who was in the warehouse so they put in a half door to separate the two. I can usually grab the pickup pieces without him knowing I am there but when I stop to thank them he starts barking like crazy. It is annoying as hell.
I'm sure they don't want the dog acting that way either, try it, you might become friends with it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I'm sure they don't want the dog acting that way either, try it, you might become friends with it.

"Cujo" and I will never be friends. :)

I had a misload the other day and my on-car asked me if I could leave it at that pickup stop, which I did. As I was trying to explain to the driver's wife what I was doing the stupid dog kept interrupting us. She had to put him in the other room. Very frustrating.

upschuck

"Cujo" and I will never be friends. :)

I had a misload the other day and my on-car asked me if I could leave it at that pickup stop, which I did. As I was trying to explain to the driver's wife what I was doing the stupid dog kept interrupting us. She had to put him in the other room. Very frustrating.
He may smell Rowdy on you. I'd still try it for a while. Nothing lost if it doesn't work.

Indecisi0n

Yeah, the picture you posted is nowhere near what the OP situation was.

I tried the dog treat thing with a dog I had trouble with at a daily pickup. Soon as she finished the treat she was right back to trying to bite me.

Some dogs, you just can't reach.
Your foot can reach...

calcio56

The owner of this dog (whose feet are visible in the photo) manages a winery that spends at least half a million dollars per year shipping with UPS. She brings her dog to work, and I (along with everyone else at the winery) give it love and biscuits. She has posted Facebook pics of her dog in my truck. Seems like good PR to me, especially since she is the one writing checks to UPS.

Close your bulkhead door!

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I have a bike shop on my route that for some reason has an aggressive dog on their sales floor. At first I was very hesitant to approach him and asked that he be secured while I made my deliveries. Over time we (the dog and I) came to an understanding that I was just there to do my job and that he was to leave me alone. Yesterday I walked in there and he let me pet him for the first time ever. This was all done without dog biscuits or any other treats.

When I was a cover guy there was a business stop on one route who had a dog like that. It was an older black lab mix (weird I know for a Lab to be aggressive) who tried to take a chunk out of me the first time I saw him. I got angry and dropped the packages to be delivered out in the middle of the parking lot as the owner dragged him by the collar and stuck him in a car. I yelled over to him asking if he had anything going out and before he finished saying no I was in the truck and driving away.

The next day I parked further away from the building in his lot and honked the horn. He had a big garage bay door all the way up and I could see he had the dog already tied up. The owner of the business came out and apologized for the day before and assured me from that day on he'd keep the dog restrained. True to his word, the dog was always tied up or put in a car before I got there from that day forward, even on days he didn't know I was covering the route.

MassWineGuy

I'd ask the customer to restrain the dog or I'll need to protect myself. That could mean kicking the dog, throwing your DIAD or Powerpad at its head or whatever.

I am second to none in my love for animals. But my safety trumps that.