Transferring Hubs within the same Union Area

NCUPSER

Good evening (or morning depending on when you see this), I'm wondering the procedures for transferring from one hub to another. I've already checked the other threads on this but they're all a decade old, and so I'm hoping people have some more up to date information on the matter.

I've already spoken to the shop steward at my hub, and I know you have to do an education transfer, but I'm wondering a few other things: does the other hub have to have an opening, or will they find a place for you there? I understand you lose your building seniority, but you keep your vacation, benefits, and those things, correct?

I appreciate the answers ahead of time!

Poop Head

Judge me.
You shouldnt need an education transfer. Just regular transfer. The building you want to go to has to have an opening. You will need to communicate with management.

NCUPSER

You shouldnt need an education transfer. Just regular transfer. The building you want to go to has to have an opening. You will need to communicate with management.
According to the shop steward the only transfer accepted is an education transfer. Basically I'm moving next semester and will be an hour away from my current hub but only a few minutes away from the hub in that area, and so I'm wanting to transfer. I appreciate your answer, though.

NCUPSER

Do the education transfer. Take an online Spanish class at the local community college. Pass the class and get it reimbursed by UPS.
The hub I want to transfer to is much smaller than the one I'm at, will they honor a transfer request outright or does there specifically have to be an opening at the other hub? Also can my current hub deny the request? They're under the same local union.

meritocracy

The hub I want to transfer to is much smaller than the one I'm at, will they honor a transfer request outright or does there specifically have to be an opening at the other hub? Also can my current hub deny the request? They're under the same local union.
Pretty sure there has to be an opening. Not sure though. If you're PT I'm sure there's plenty of openings. Call your business agent and say you want to do the education transfer and ask him/her to walk you through the process.

NCUPSER

Pretty sure there has to be an opening. Not sure though. If you're PT I'm sure there's plenty of openings. Call your business agent and say you want to do the education transfer and ask him/her to walk you through the process.
Not sure if there's a business agent at my hub, would it be HR I should speak to? I've already spoken to the shop steward about it.
I appreciate you taking the time to help me out.

meritocracy

Not sure if there's a business agent at my hub, would it be HR I should speak to? I've already spoken to the shop steward about it.
I appreciate you taking the time to help me out.
Your teamsters local employs business agents who are paid by your dues to help you with this stuff. The shop steward can probably help to some extent but their level of knowledge really varies because they're volunteers. Call up your local tell em where you work and ask to talk to your business agent.

quad decade guy

If full time here....not possible. Change of ops will allow you to BID and follow a job. Any time(here) you change classifications you go to the bottom of seniority.....following work means retention of seniority and benefits. You basically have to quit to "transfer"(here).

quad decade guy

Your teamsters local employs business agents who are paid by your dues to help you with this stuff. The shop steward can probably help to some extent but their level of knowledge really varies because they're volunteers. Call up your local tell em where you work and ask to talk to your business agent.
They can "help you with this stuff"....as in tell you "not possible"...