Trump into the DMZ

jimdandy3

Impeach Hunter Biden
Fair enough on all points. I wonder how many countries would be different if we were not the worlds policeman . Iran might have become a completely different country after 1953. Also Honduras after 2009 and certainly Libya is after 2011.

newfie

Fair enough on all points. I wonder how many countries would be different if we were not the worlds policeman . Iran might have become a completely different country after 1953. Also Honduras after 2009 and certainly Libya is after 2011.

so your theory which is popular amongst some who like to blame the US interventionist policy is that Khomeni would not have seized power in Iran and created his brand of terrorism?

jimdandy3

Impeach Hunter Biden
The U.N. doesn't give the green light, we decide for ourselves. They are rogue nations for different reasons. North Korea is guilty of horrible human rights abuses within it borders. Iran is the biggest state sponsor of terror within the world. Both threaten their neighbors on a regular basis. You don't seem to understand that the U.S. is more or less the world's policeman. We've kept Europe and a number of Asian nations safe from aggression for decades now. Our 5th Fleet has kept the Strait of Hormuz open to shipping for much of the world's oil. Saudi Arabia is Sunni Muslim, Iran is Shia, and both are vying for influence in the region. Only recently Saudi Arabia and Israel have become closer in relations. The Saudis have their own extremists to deal with. Bin Laden was Saudi, as were most of the 9/11 terrorists. It's a complicated mess, and the U.S. is involved to keep world markets stable. As to Mexico, we put economic pressure on them to do something about the hundreds of thousands of illegal immigrants streaming across their country to enter ours. Hardly the same as Russia seizing part of Ukraine and supporting separatists fighting the Ukrainian government.

On the Russia point. Too many NATO bases make Russia nervous. One Liberal. One Conservative.

Ukraine as the Border of NATO Expansion

When Washington Assured Russia NATO Would Not Expand

jimdandy3

Impeach Hunter Biden
so your theory which is popular amongst some who like to blame the US interventionist policy is that Khomeni would not have seized power in Iran and created his brand of terrorism?

What precipitated the seizure by Khomeini? Who was asking for him and why were they asking for him?

vantexan

Is the saber rattling defensive. He is over there.
Putin has made public statements about wishing the U.S.S.R. hadn't broken apart. He's made incursions into Georgia and Ukraine. A lot of former Soviet republics and Eastern European nations are nervous. The day needs to come when Russia joins other nations in cooperation, not try to hang onto past glory and domination.

newfie

What precipitated the seizure by Khomeini? Who was asking for him and why were they asking for him?
yep thats the answer some like to present . Its dependent on a few narratives.

I guess we will make the assumption that Mohammad Mosaddegh would not be the tyrant the shah became?

jimdandy3

Impeach Hunter Biden
Putin has made public statements about wishing the U.S.S.R. hadn't broken apart. He's made incursions into Georgia and Ukraine. A lot of former Soviet republics and Eastern European nations are nervous. The day needs to come when Russia joins other nations in cooperation, not try to hang onto past glory and domination.

Georgia and Ukraine border Russia.
yep thats the answer some like to present . Its dependent on a few narratives.

I guess we will make the assumption that Mohammad Mosaddegh would not be the tyrant the shah became?

They only definitive action was the coup.

newfie

Georgia and Ukraine border Russia.

They only definitive action was the coup.

The middle east is a cesspool of despots and tyrants. Khomeni was a popular local religious leader who evolved from local leader to one who had aspirations to form a theocracy. I think he would have clashed with whatever leadership was in charge of Iran. The change to a theocracy was inevitable.

I do agree with the overall point you make that in that cesspool of despots we do a poor job of trying to pick the winners.