Trump needs to stop Amazon monopoly

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Sears/Kmart isn't helped by the CEO is actively hollowing out Sears.

Ace and TruValue will live on because they are smaller and closer to more homes. Would you rather go to Ace and spent a dollar more or spent half an hour in traffic to get out to the shopping mall area to go to a home depot?

Also, typically, Ace and TV employees are more knowledgeable about DIY. I mean, you will get those at HD/Lowes but you have a greater chance of finding some teenager that doesn't know :censored2: at the big box stores.
I go to the Ace near me a lot more than I go to Lowe’s or Home Depot. I can pop in and out in less than ten minutes. Very convenient and not an ordeal.

badpal

I go to the Ace near me a lot more than I go to Lowe’s or Home Depot. I can pop in and out in less than ten minutes. Very convenient and not an ordeal.
I bought a new chainsaw at Ace Saturday afternoon. Yesterday I checked on Amazon same saw 150 bucks more, but did have free shipping.

badpal

Did you go back to Ace and pay them the difference?
Ace assembled it out of the box, started it, filled out warranty card for me , gave me card for 5 free sharpening also. Said any problems just bring it in to thier small engine service dept. So after seeing the amazon price, I did feel a bit guilty.

bacha29

Ace assembled it out of the box, started it, filled out warranty card for me , gave me card for 5 free sharpening also. Said any problems just bring it in to thier small engine service dept. So after seeing the amazon price, I did feel a bit guilty.
When it comes to chain saws, can't hooks, taxidermy supplies,wringer washers, union underwear,kerosene lanterns, pickling barrels. etc. I imagine Bezos will let the others have this market given that most forward looking guidance says that by 2035 85% of the US population will be living in a metropolitan area and there won't be much demand for this kind of stuff. No disrespect for Mr. Badpal but I live in a depressed rural area and local officials have long since abandoned plans based on growth but rather are focused on managing decline in such a way as to preserve to the greatest extent possible the overall quality of life for the ageing and shrinking population that remains.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
I bought a new chainsaw at Ace Saturday afternoon. Yesterday I checked on Amazon same saw 150 bucks more, but did have free shipping.
You must be mistaken. According to other posters on this site, Amazon is building their empire by undercutting the rest of the world in order to put them out of business, and then control the WORLD.:surprised:

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
No disrespect for Mr. Badpal but I live in a depressed rural area and local officials have long since abandoned plans based on growth but rather are focused on managing decline in such a way as to preserve to the greatest extent possible the overall quality of life for the ageing and shrinking population that remains.
Sounds like you're contributing to the problem.

dmac1

If you are prepared to live with someone in the Federal Government making every decision of your entire life for you, then proceed.

Read an article that asserted that online purchasing isn't any cheaper than brick and mortar sales. Nowadays, it's the convenience that makes the sale. I only buy on Amazon when I can't find it locally.

Amazon should change its name to American, then trademark "buy American".

It may be true that Amazon prices average the same or higher than brick and mortar. But some stuff you can't find locally, or as easily, and for me, I can find things on Amazon for a lot cheaper, especially if I buy in multiples or in bulk. I get delivery averaging less than $1 per delivery no matter what the weight. I have cases of 'monster energy' drinks delivered that cost about 25 cents per can cheaper than locally, even at Costco, all of it hassle free, and a lot of stuff is sales tax free, saving me at least 8.25%. Perishables like dairy, meat, vegetables, etc are almost always more expensive on Amazon, but even then, you can still find bargains.

For people like me who have arthritis or other health problems, Amazon makes life a lot easier and it saves me some money, sometimes a lot of money.

It will be fine

It may be true that Amazon prices average the same or higher than brick and mortar. But some stuff you can't find locally, or as easily, and for me, I can find things on Amazon for a lot cheaper, especially if I buy in multiples or in bulk. I get delivery averaging less than $1 per delivery no matter what the weight. I have cases of 'monster energy' drinks delivered that cost about 25 cents per can cheaper than locally, even at Costco, all of it hassle free, and a lot of stuff is sales tax free, saving me at least 8.25%. Perishables like dairy, meat, vegetables, etc are almost always more expensive on Amazon, but even then, you can still find bargains.

For people like me who have arthritis or other health problems, Amazon makes life a lot easier and it saves me some money, sometimes a lot of money.
If you have health problems you might want to reconsider the cases of monster energy drinks.

bacha29

If you have health problems you might want to reconsider the cases of monster energy drinks.
But, the wounds of the world are bound with red tape and medicated with sugar and caffeine. The guys just wants to make sure that he gets 100% of the recommended daily allowance of sugar and caffeine.

vantexan

I'm surprised you don't want to support local workers by shopping where they work! And you're denying the local tax authorities the revenue needed to maintain all the things necessary for utopia! A wee bit of hypocrisy!

bacha29

I'm surprised you don't want to support local workers by shopping where they work! And you're denying the local tax authorities the revenue needed to maintain all the things necessary for utopia! A wee bit of hypocrisy!
Hedge fund manager Gene Munster says Amazon will buy Target later this year. I doubt it because if they were to buy Target then you would likely have anti trust issues. If a Time Warner/AT&T merger can't get approval what are the odds of Amazon buying out Target getting approved?