Twilight shift hours

lasveagsups

What is the typical amount of hours for a twilight shift worker, peak season and otherwise? I have heard some people say a minimum of 5 hours.

HubSnakeWrangler

Totally dependent on your building. Our air operations were moved to a new building so twilight no longer had a hard cut off time for intra/m-sort to use same belts. Now the sort can run 5 - 7 hrs pre-peak and 8-10 during peak.

lasveagsups

Totally dependent on your building. Our air operations were moved to a new building so twilight no longer had a hard cut off time for intra/m-sort to use same belts. Now the sort can run 5 - 7 hrs pre-peak and 8-10 during peak.
Thanks for that info, do you happen to know when working as a pt package handler what would be the next best move to earn more money hourly while staying part time? I've heard some people say a part-time air driver, I think you can work as a package handler and a part-time air driver from the way they made it sound. I want to keep the protection of the union, more pay, all while staying part time, I'm not opposed to full-time either.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Thanks for that info, do you happen to know when working as a pt package handler what would be the next best move to earn more money hourly while staying part time? I've heard some people say a part-time air driver, I think you can work as a package handler and a part-time air driver from the way they made it sound. I want to keep the protection of the union, more pay, all while staying part time, I'm not opposed to full-time either.

How come you don’t wanna drive?

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I was p/t for 24 years before taking a combo job.
It actually resulted in a decrease in my hours since I was working on Twilight , was a morning air driver & working Saturdays.
I made the move so that my pension credit hours would be guaranteed.
I ended up with 33 years of pension credit, a healthy 401K and waiting until 70 to collect social security.
In total ( at age 72 ) I'll be bringing in around $10K a month.

HubSnakeWrangler

Again, it will be building/local specific. I never had urge to drive so I can't help in that regard. As a pt just offer yourself up to do as many unwanted tasks as you can until a higher seniority person notices. I know it's frowned upon but you gotta hustle to get yours. Lol

HubSnakeWrangler

It actually resulted in a decrease in my hours since I was working on Twilight , was a morning air driver & working Saturdays.
I ended up with 33 years of pension credit, a healthy 401K and waiting until 70 to collect social security.
That happened when I went combo too. The less hours I mean. I hope to retire with about 30yrs ft(6yrs). I can only wish I planned right to get that per month. Kudos to you brother.

lasveagsups

When you stay part time like that do you get yearly raises from the company or only what the contract says?

lasveagsups

When you stay part time like that do you get yearly raises from the company or only what the contract says?
I’d like to know the best course to take from starting as a part-time twilight package handler, a lot of people on this forum would have done things differently had they know, as hindsight is 20/20, I want to avoid making mistakes. By gathering information from the OGs I hoping to gain valuable insight to help me make the right decisions, I plan on putting in 25 years of service in and have the maximum pension amount, all advice is welcome.

HubSnakeWrangler

Put your name on the part time to full time list - driver, combo, porter etc - as soon as possible. Best way to maximize pension. Probably more importantly invest in your 401k right away.

ETA: you get contractual raises as a part timer laid out in the contract you're hired under.

lasveagsups

Put your name on the part time to full time list - driver, combo, porter etc - as soon as possible. Best way to maximize pension. Probably more importantly invest in your 401k right away.

ETA: you get contractual raises as a part timer laid out in the contract you're hired under.
How soon after your start date can you put your name on lists, do you have to wait until you join the union, and is there a minimum amount of time you have be there before you can move up/move to different position?

HubSnakeWrangler

Based off your username I'd first make sure to join the union. Then all these questions and more can be answered in much greater detail than on a message board by your steward or business agent.

PT Car Washer

How soon after your start date can you put your name on lists, do you have to wait until you join the union, and is there a minimum amount of time you have be there before you can move up/move to different position?
You can place your name on any list your first day. The question is when will you be eligible. Most Supplements say 6 months but that can be shortened to when you qualified.

lasveagsups

You can place your name on any list your first day. The question is when will you be eligible. Most Supplements say 6 months but that can be shortened to when you qualified.
According to the collective bargaining agreement, under part-time employees I will attain seniority after the probationary period which is 70 worked days within 6 consecutive months, so based on that I don't think I'd have a good chance of being eligible until then. I believe it is at that time I can join the union.

Nah
According to the collective bargaining agreement, under part-time employees I will attain seniority after the probationary period which is 70 worked days within 6 consecutive months, so based on that I don't think I'd have a good chance of being eligible until then. I believe it is at that time I can join the union.
Put your name on the list anyway. Won't hurt nothing.

lasveagsups

My building had 2 preload/air driver bids up last week.
So I guess it just depends on the location. I’m just trying to gain insight on what the best transition would be going from a package handler to something with higher pay, all while maintaining as close to 40 hours a week as possible, of course full-time is my ultimate goal as I want to accrue a higher pension payout.

PT Car Washer

So I guess it just depends on the location. I’m just trying to gain insight on what the best transition would be going from a package handler to something with higher pay, all while maintaining as close to 40 hours a week as possible, of course full-time is my ultimate goal as I want to accrue a higher pension payout.
22.3 bid would be your best bet. Of course you will be loading on one sort and unloading on the other or maybe sorting. From there you can bid something better.