Union retirees: Don't cut my pension --- Good Read

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
Used to be union brown.
So you left a union job for a non union job and you have a problem with the Tea Party and Republicans passing laws that you say harm unions by letting people decide for themselves whether or not to join a union.
Didn't you make that decision for yourself?

realbrown1

So I should take a pay cut because Yellow doesn't know how to run their operation?
If your contribution to your pension came from Yellow, then yes, you have to take a pension hit.
Yellow has PASSED 2 union contraces where the teamsters accepted Yellow not having to pay any pension contributions.
Like I keep saying, there are consequences for your actions. They could have fought for pension contributions, but CHOSE to accept no pension contributions. So you will take a cut in pension benefits if I had my way.

bbsam

Staff member
So you left a union job for a non union job and you have a problem with the Tea Party and Republicans passing laws that you say harm unions by letting people decide for themselves whether or not to join a union.
Didn't you make that decision for yourself?
No. I have problems wit a week union that let's it happen and with seemingly blind union members thinking Walker and his ilk were going to stop at public unions.

upschuck

If your contribution to your pension came from Yellow, then yes, you have to take a pension hit.
Yellow has PASSED 2 union contraces where the teamsters accepted Yellow not having to pay any pension contributions.
Like I keep saying, there are consequences for your actions. They could have fought for pension contributions, but CHOSE to accept no pension contributions. So you will take a cut in pension benefits if I had my way.
This is were the law should be applied. What bad leadership would allow no contributions, and yet pension credits for those years. I would vote for getting something for nothing too, if another company had to pay for it.

realbrown1

No. I have problems wit a week union that let's it happen and with seemingly blind union members thinking Walker and his ilk were going to stop at public unions.
What do you care? You left a union job for a non-union job. So what's the big deal?

bbsam

Staff member
What do you care? You left a union job for a non-union job. So what's the big deal?

Because a strong union is good for the entire economy and labor is getting the shaft.

That being said, I'll take my position today over a union position today.

realbrown1

This is were the law should be applied. What bad leadership would allow no contributions, and yet pension credits for those years. I would vote for getting something for nothing too, if another company had to pay for it.
Exactly my point. Yellow employees AND RETIREES need to have their current and future benefits cut. They chose this by accepting 2 contracts without pension contributions.
Why should other teamsters have to supplement their pension?

710 steward

Don't see your analogy to Rush here making any sense whatsoever. Doubt you really do either.

Rush was nothing more of an analogy of a pro big business saying the only person responsible for you is you. This has become the new excuse for wanting to do the least amount possible for your workers. 2007 was case in point. Just be lucky you have a job is what we were told while a handful of CEO'S ran away with everyone's money. I could have obviously explained my position much better.

People forget 20 years ago the pension was about 80% pay. Now it is about 50% but the funding is now at level that would make those contributing multi-millionaires.

The Teamsters own this failure lock stock and barrel. It is now up to us as Teamsters to come up with a solution to solve the pension problem, grow the membership, and eliminate the current leadership that has failed all of us.

P

pickup

Did you feel the same way about taxpayer money bailing out Wall Street or GM or dozens of other big guys? Go ahead and throw old Central States retirees under the bus but just remember what is happening to us will eventually happen to ALL pension programs once UPS can figure out how to get out from underneath all this debt. I'm sure you will be the first one standing up screaming "yes - take my pension away". Hoping that more people will become Teamsters is a pipe dream. Unions as a whole are dying.

hey Rod, I read somewhere that if a current retiree is over 70 or disabled(whatever that means) that the current benefit would not be cut. I don't know if that is true or not, and I hate to ask , but are you over 70?

P

pickup

i got this from a Cnn report (for what it is worth):

The Congressional proposal would allow plans that are projected to run out of money in the next 10 to 20 years to cut the benefits they pay to both current and future retirees. Benefits would not be cut for disabled pensioners or those 80 years and older, while cuts would be lessened for those between 75 and 80.

P

pickup

Define disability because I imagine there are quite a number receiving such pensions that have disabilities.

oldngray

nowhere special
i got this from a Cnn report (for what it is worth):

The Congressional proposal would allow plans that are projected to run out of money in the next 10 to 20 years to cut the benefits they pay to both current and future retirees. Benefits would not be cut for disabled pensioners or those 80 years and older, while cuts would be lessened for those between 75 and 80.

That statement is vague and incomplete. Only multi payer pensions are addressed in that bill . Not single payer. There were other details left out also.

710 steward

Exactly my point. Yellow employees AND RETIREES need to have their current and future benefits cut. They chose this by accepting 2 contracts without pension contributions.
Why should other teamsters have to supplement their pension?

There is nothing factual about this post. For the years Yellow did not contribute to the fund, their members got zero pension credits.

Now they contribute at 25% of a credit per year. So if a Yellow member worked full time at the age of 25 and worked until 65 that member would enjoy a 10 year pension for all of their hard work.

clean hairy

Part timers in the southern are covered under multi or single employer?Years ago, Southern full time was Central States, but Part time was not?
Is it still the same?

realbrown1

No. I play the hand I hold, not the hand I used to have.
You are non-union. Stop trying to tell us union guys how we run our union, our pensions and which political party to support. You lost your say when you chose to leave the union. Some would even call you a scab.