Upcoming 401(k) Changes

falcon back

Vast majority of FedEx couriers made considerably less than $80k throughout their careers. Were they all living in cars?
Nope. Only idiots that don't know how to manage money work their entire life and end up living in their car.

Unfortunately healthcare cost rise during retirement so you might need to make more in retirement than you did as an employee if you want to maintain a nice standard of living. It is nice being retired and not having money worries despite a significant increase in insurance cost and overall spending due to all the free time.

Last edited:

vantexan

Nope. Only idiots that don't know how to manage money work their entire life and end up living in their car.

Unfortunately healthcare cost rise during retirement so you might need to make more in retirement than you did as an employee if you want to maintain a nice standard of living. It is nice being retired and not having money worries despite a significant increase in insurance cost and overall spending due to all the free time.
If they made considerably less than $80k during their work years how are they going to have $80k a year in retirement? Say you retire at 67 and die at 82. That's $1.2 million. You are very optimistic about a couriers chances of accumulating that sort of wealth.

Getting away from that a very large percentage of the population only has Social Security in retirement and often that's less than $1400 a month. Next time a waitress is waiting on you keep in mind she works mostly for tips and that doesn't translate into a big Social Security check.

vantexan

Yet millions do. My dad doesn't want me living with him the rest of his life, wants his place to himself. So heading to Argentina as soon as they open up. Possibly to Mexico while I wait. My $22k in Argentina is comparable to $80k+ in the States. And with internet I'm watching American tv down there. Eating world's best beef. Seeing world class scenery.
@It will be fine right now my $1840 sent to me in Argentina through Western Union will give me $3138 dollars worth of Pesos. It has settled down a bit. A couple of months ago I could have gotten about $3900 worth of Pesos. More than $37000 worth annually. Since Argentina's cost of living is less than half of the U.S. it would be close to be like having $80k in purchasing power in the U.S. A comfortable life.

falcon back

If they made considerably less than $80k during their work years how are they going to have $80k a year in retirement? Say you retire at 67 and die at 82. That's $1.2 million. You are very optimistic about a couriers chances of accumulating that sort of wealth.

Getting away from that a very large percentage of the population only has Social Security in retirement and often that's less than $1400 a month. Next time a waitress is waiting on you keep in mind she works mostly for tips and that doesn't translate into a big Social Security check.
How can a courier have 80k coming in during retirement? Simple. 401k with a 5%, maybe more return during retirement plus SS plus a pension. Have a spouse with just SS and a decent 401k and live happily ever after. Retire at 67? I retired at 59 and yes, I always take care of the waitress.

vantexan

How can a courier have 80k coming in during retirement? Simple. 401k with a 5%, maybe more return during retirement plus SS plus a pension. Have a spouse with just SS and a decent 401k and live happily ever after. Retire at 67? I retired at 59 and yes, I always take care of the waitress.
Good for you. Keep in mind tens of thousands of couriers had their pay suppressed and never made what you made in spite of working decades for Express. And not everyone is married. And their portable pension will never amount to what the traditional pension paid. Most people don't want to live like monks for decades to get to a reasonable retirement.

falcon back

Good for you. Keep in mind tens of thousands of couriers had their pay suppressed and never made what you made in spite of working decades for Express. And not everyone is married. And their portable pension will never amount to what the traditional pension paid. Most people don't want to live like monks for decades to get to a reasonable retirement.
Keep in mind tens of thousands of couriers managed to save for a comfortable retirement despite the length of time it took to top out. Some retired comfortably and never topped out. Do you know how? It is called proper money management and living within your means while putting money in your 401k. Qualities you never figured out.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Yep, I really get to you criticizing the company. Must destroy my credibility. The thing is I don't care. You defend a company that exploits people to make a handful of rich people richer. At the end of the day that's worse than anything I've ever done. Good luck with that.
I don't know why it would "get to" me that you criticize the company. Some guy on a message board doesn't like a company - GOSH I MAY NEVER SLEEP AGAIN!

59 Dano

No problem with that. My beef is telling me every year how much I'd have in retirement if I stuck with them, including the years they were planning to end our traditional pension behind the scenes. If you get hired on with them telling you they have this portable pension plan that's the plan you work your retirement around. I was hired under the traditional pension plan and that's what they should have kept me and others under, not pull the rug out from under us. Couple that with years of two percent raises under lower pay while topped out was getting three percent under higher pay and it really rankles. But I'm only bringing it up to elaborate on your question. Don't want Dano to have a meltdown.
"I don't care what the circumstances are, you should never change anything that I like!!!!!"

vantexan

I misstated nothing - you were a child playing a man's game.
I've forgotten more about futures trading then you'll ever know. As the saying goes, if it were easy everyone would be doing it. One thing I can say, after numerous trades I never lost more than I started with, something very possible in futures trading. And you mixed up two different events in hopes of discrediting my criticism of the company.

vantexan

"I don't care what the circumstances are, you should never change anything that I like!!!!!"
It's telling that you support screwing employees in the pursuit of profit. Not because for the health of the company but rather for growing wealth of those already wealthy. It's a dog eat dog company, and you firmly have your snout up the big dog's ass.

59 Dano

I've forgotten more about futures trading then you'll ever know. As the saying goes, if it were easy everyone would be doing it. One thing I can say, after numerous trades I never lost more than I started with, something very possible in futures trading. And you mixed up two different events in hopes of discrediting my criticism of the company.
Your piddling around in futures has nothing to do with your criticism of the company.

You gambled and eventually lost your shirt and still believe you knew what you were doing.

59 Dano

It's telling that you support screwing employees in the pursuit of profit. Not because for the health of the company but rather for growing wealth of those already wealthy. It's a dog eat dog company, and you firmly have your snout up the big dog's ass.
I shudder to think what the company would be like if they ran it the way you think they should.

vantexan

Your piddling around in futures has nothing to do with your criticism of the company.

You gambled and eventually lost your shirt and still believe you knew what you were doing.
I didn't lose my shirt. And your rudimentary understanding of investing just embarrasses you.

vantexan

I shudder to think what the company would be like if they ran it the way you think they should.
I have never said they didn't have the right to change over to a new pension plan. My criticism is in how they changed over. And of the way they handled midrange raises for many years, lying to people in how long it would take to top out. I imagine being honest with employees and settling for less profit to take care of employees would make you shudder.