Upper management gets 20% raise, I get less than inflation with a target on my back!

WOW, you are exactly why the White House has it's current occupant! I guess I do have to hold your hand and think for you!
2018 CPI and Inflation Rate for the United States | Inflation Calculator Now friend take that info and multiply it by the current top rate. The number you get is the break even point. Any raise less than that means we actually lose money!

Translation for those of you at home, "Holy :censored2: Batman, the truth has been released and we can not spin it to our advantage!"
I was asking about the mgmt 20% raise you speak of. You are $6.00 ahead of the inflation curve over the last 20 years. Is it such a big deal if you lose a few cents over the next 5 years? Are you sure that no cola will kick in during these next 5 years?

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
When was the last cola Mr. Management type? Please google what the CEO of UPS received as a raise in 2017.

OMG 6.00 whole dollars? Are you sure that is not in pesos? Where did we gain the $6? I know the answer but somehow, for some reason I have this strange feeling you are regurgitating talking points from a memo. Please prove me wrong!

When was the last cola Mr. Management type? Please google what the CEO of UPS received as a raise in 2017.

OMG 6.00 whole dollars? Are you sure that is not in pesos? Where did we gain the $6? I know the answer but somehow, for some reason I have this strange feeling you are regurgitating talking points from a memo. Please prove me wrong!
You can use a lot of words, yet you communicate nothing.

dogs.bite.me

Point given. But why don't you think the hourlies should do better when the company and the management does better? Why would you de-value yourself to the point of being paid less while doing more work? I want more because I do more work, for longer and I do it safer!

Nobody can possibly argue that FedEx and DHL even remotely comes close to doing the amount of work we do! If you think they are even in the same ballpark you need to get out of the office and actually, physically look with your own eyes at their trucks and see for yourself!

To argue that we should not get paid what we are worth because there will be some recession at some time in the future is a crime! There will be a recession within the next 50 years and you can tell everyone Benben predicted it:wink2:

And how much do we get when you calculate the pension increases, the insurance increases (if any) etc.

We don't know any details yet. Quit panicking.

Yaba Daba Do

Donkey Punch Extraordinaire
Point given. But why don't you think the hourlies should do better when the company and the management does better? Why would you de-value yourself to the point of being paid less while doing more work? I want more because I do more work, for longer and I do it safer!

Nobody can possibly argue that FedEx and DHL even remotely comes close to doing the amount of work we do! If you think they are even in the same ballpark you need to get out of the office and actually, physically look with your own eyes at their trucks and see for yourself!

To argue that we should not get paid what we are worth because there will be some recession at some time in the future is a crime! There will be a recession within the next 50 years and you can tell everyone Benben predicted it:wink2:
I want to do as well as we possibly can but I also think the company should be able to do as well as they possibly can. I do not think just because the company makes more this year than last that means that all that extra profit should just get spread out evenly to the employees. The company needs to make huge investments in infrastructure, equipment, and technology. That's not just building new buildings but also modernizing old ones. I was reading an article the other day that was talking about how far behind fedex we are in this area. Fedex has been coming on strong in recent years and they will surpass UPS a lot sooner than people think. We won't be the big dog on the block anymore and it's not because they do anything better than us, it's because they don't have to play by the same rules and simply don't have the costs that UPS does.

As for the amount of work you are absolutely right, it is more difficult to be a UPS delivery driver than a fedex or dhl driver but customers don't care. UPS can't charge customers more because we work harder. If they did the customers would just use someone else and likely get the same level of service.

I am going to make around $115,000 this year for doing little more than sitting on my ass and driving from point A to point B. I am not a victim of corporate greed and I am not being held down by the man. I have a very nice life because of how successful this company has been and no matter what I think of management or the CEO and all of the BS we have all had to deal with over the years i very much hope that they continue to be successful in the future.

Yaba Daba Do

I am in no way saying there are no reasons to strike. Believe me I could think of plenty when i was in delivery but none of them were economic.

Benben

"We won't be the big dog on the block anymore and it's not because they do anything better than us, it's because they don't have to play by the same rules and simply don't have the costs that UPS does." (edit. sorry screwed the pooch on the quote function)

1. I have never, ever known 1 hourly refer to wages as being a "cost" to the company. Just so you understand where I am coming from, The company is in business because of what I do, what my loader and un-loader does and what all the other UPSers do! UPS is not in business solely because of all the :censored2: who keep the office chairs from floating away into space!

2. I now have over 5 FedEx drivers who cover the area I do. It is not because FedEx has more work, it is because UPS thinks it should be allowed to work me 12+ hours twice a week and 9.45 hours the other 3 days. And by the way, UPS IS PISSED THEY CAN ONLY WORK ME 12+ THOSE 2!

3. I am glad you made what you made this year. Question, what did you sacrifice to make that over the years? What quality of parent were you really when you were never there? Only you can answer that for yourself. Nobody here would believe anyone of us who claimed to be a stellar absentee dad. UpState was the last who I saw try it and we all laughed for a week. That is a question between you and the mirror!

Yaba Daba Do

1. I have never, ever known 1 hourly refer to wades as being a "cost" to the company. Just so you understand where I am coming from, The company is in business because of what I do, what my loader and un-loader does and what all the other UPSers do! UPS is not in business because of all the :censored2: who keep the office chairs from floating away into space!

2. I now have over 5 FedEx drivers who cover the area I do. It is not because FedEx has more work, it is because UPS thinks it should be allowed to work me 12+ hours twice a week and 9.45 hours the other 3 days. And by the way, UPS IS :censored2: THEY CAN ONLY WORK ME 12+ THOSE 2!

3. I am glad you made what you made this year. Question, what did you sacrifice to make that over the years? What quality of parent were you really when you were never there? Only you can answer that for yourself. Nobody here would believe anyone of us who claimed to be a stellar absentee dad. UpState was the last who I saw try it and we all laughed for a week. That is a question between you and the mirror!
1. Wages are operating costs. If UPS didn't pay them the company wouldn't exist. Thanks to the Railway Labor Act fedex does not have anywhere near the cost that UPS has. Employees who perform the same job at competing companies should be covered by the same law. Yes UPS is in business because of what you do but if you felt like you were being taken advantage of and decided to go work for fedex or dhl then someone else would come in and take your spot and life would go on. I am not against making more money I am just saying that for us to make a lot more money like you're suggesting the competition would have to raise their wages as well.

2. I'm sure UPS would be happy to not work you 12+ hours twice a week and 9.45 the other three if they could pay you the same as a fedex driver.

I'm not trying to take the companies side and that may be what it looks like, I just think it is beneficial to look at both sides to understand why it isn't realistic to expect the company pay us $45 or $50/hr while the competition is in the $20's.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
I'm not trying to take the companies side and that may be what it looks like, I just think it is beneficial to look at both sides to understand why it isn't realistic to expect the company pay us $45 or $50/hr while the competition is in the $20's.

Or even less than that!

Here's a snapshot of my hours a month ago

time.jpg

No OT pay or other bennies compared to brown compensation for your package delivery drivers

Benben

1. Wages are operating costs. If UPS didn't pay them the company wouldn't exist. Thanks to the Railway Labor Act fedex does not have anywhere near the cost that UPS has. Employees who perform the same job at competing companies should be covered by the same law. Yes UPS is in business because of what you do but if you felt like you were being taken advantage of and decided to go work for fedex or dhl then someone else would come in and take your spot and life would go on. I am not against making more money I am just saying that for us to make a lot more money like you're suggesting the competition would have to raise their wages as well.

2. I'm sure UPS would be happy to not work you 12+ hours twice a week and 9.45 the other three if they could pay you the same as a fedex driver.

Just discussing, I am not attacking please don't take this as such. I just feel strongly about this!

1. The RLA is between FedEx and the Govt. If UPS feels harmed by it then UPS needs to address it with those 2 entities. Can we both agree that taking it out on us (the employees) is morally wrong?

Ok, lets take this view and apply it to a different situation. North Korea jails its citizens for any reason at any time. The US does not! Your view applied would be that until North Korea changes the US is harmed by not being able to do the same! Yes, this is taken to the extreme and is absurd but its the SAME ARGUMENT! 2 wrongs do not make a right if you will. "Because they are then we can also," Has been an excuse to commit some of the world's worst atrocities throughout history. Does not make it right and is never an excuse!

"Make a lot more money like you are suggesting," I feel that just looking at the pure dollar amount in a vacuum is what UPS (the opposing side) wants everyone to focus on! This is a slight-of-hand, a con job if you will. The current inflation rate is over 2.75%. Best estimates has inflation for 2018 north of 2.9%. I personally think we are 1 more fed rate-hike from being well over 3%. The offered raises are less than that, A LOT LESS. We actually LOSE money with this offer in all reality! This isn't 100% about whats on paper, this is about real life in the real world!

2.I do not agree in any way with this statement! From what we are seeing day in and day out, UPS does not hesitate to put as many packages in the trucks and the driver gets done whenever they get done. The only thing that prevents them from doing this is the very weak 9.5 language in the contract. I point out the fact that new hires are paid less than FedEX drivers. Therefore if UPS was at the very least concerned with the labor "costs" we would routinely see the lowest paid drivers working the most hours. Reality is its almost the exact opposite! At best there appears to be 0 correlation between what a driver is currently being paid and how much work gets shoved down our throats!

Heffalump

If we still offered better service than everyone else and people were willing to pay a little more that would be one thing but we are no better than anyone else anymore.
Bro..look at our trucks en route and look at theirs. That alone describes our volume and yes it's more than the competition at the same price if not cheaper!
yeah. i doubt google will tell me what my managers raise is going to be. nice try though
We should all apply and flood HR.

Benben

Orion, your heaviest day was 190 packages. I didn't have less than 300 once last week. Furthermore, more than three times last week I had over 200 stops and never once had less than 40 signatures or CIR's!

One of the FedEx trucks on my route has 2 people in it on a weekly basis. I am sure its used for training. When 1 see 2 in that truck I know for a fact later in the day they will "conveniently" be at one of my stops and I always see 1 guy pointing at my truck when I open the rear door or bulkhead door. I then hear an, "Oh my god," or, "damn!" I am sure the conversation then goes: 1. "see it could be worse, you could work for brown." or 2. "Aren't you glad its never that bad."

Orion, your heaviest day was 190 packages. I didn't have less than 300 once last week. Furthermore, more than three times last week I had over 200 stops and never once had less than 40 signatures or CIR's!

One of the FedEx trucks on my route has 2 people in it on a weekly basis. I am sure its used for training. When 1 see 2 in that truck I know for a fact later in the day they will "conveniently" be at one of my stops and I always see 1 guy pointing at my truck when I open the rear door or bulkhead door. I then hear an, "Oh my god," or, "damn!" I am sure the conversation then goes: 1. "see it could be worse, you could work for brown." or 2. "Aren't you glad its never that bad."
It’s not as bad as you make it.